Mark

Default Live setup advice

Hi,
I have a limited number of compressor channels (4 RNC's) for the following
live light rock/folky band set up : -

1 - Drums kick
2 - Drums snare
3 - Drums O/H
4 - Bass
5 - Elec guitar 1 - mainly rhythm
6 - Elec guitar 2 - mainly lead
7 - Vocal lead
8 - Vocal backing

I'm worried about grouping channels and putting them through the
compressors. My thoughts are currently :-

Group drums, put through RNC 1
Group vocals and put through RNC 2 (super-nice mode)
Bass through RNC 3
Elec guitars through RNC 4

Normally I have as many channels of compression as I need in a DAW
environment and occasionally running out to the few outboards I have, but
I'm starting to get into live sound too, so being limited is a bit new to me
(its terrible, I've been spoilt!), so any advice would be much appreciated.

My concerns a
Snare and kick will cause weird affects with the cymbals in the O/H's.
Perhaps the O/H's do not need compression. Same problem with vocals, if one
singer suddenly hits a loud spot, the backing singers volume will be
reduced, and vise-versa, same problem with guitars.

I could get some more compressors, but I'm not convinced I need them yet,
and I am starting to run low on my current budget, and this gig is before my
next pay day !

I know this is all a bit vague, but I'd be interested in any advice or
experiences people may have. I know when I record and mix this band I use a
fair amount of compression, it is especially needed on the bass in this
particular case.......

PS, I am also sticking an Aphex Dominator II on the mains to catch
transients mainly from the drums and bass.

Cheers,

Mark.

Save and Recall PC CMOS Setup Mike Rivers Pro Audio 13 April 1st 04 07:40 PM
recording setup in a church Rob B Pro Audio 16 December 11th 03 04:34 PM
Live Sound Vs Studio Sound FrankDebro1 Pro Audio 155 October 10th 03 06:35 PM
Audio Advice Johnston West Pro Audio 1 August 12th 03 03:10 AM
yamaha dsp A1 magnepan setup advice needed brandt Marketplace 0 July 16th 03 04:32 PM