caveplayer

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...
caveplayer wrote:

Why is everyone so skeptical about the stairwell? You haven't heard it
so how do you know what the sound is like? Not all stairwells are
created equal.

Because we've heard too many overly reverberant spaces before. Yours might
be an exception, but the chances are fairly slim. Try a deader room.
--scott

It's really not overly reverby at all (unlike like my kitchen which
really sound like ****). There's carpeting everywhere, there's a wall
about 8 ft in front of me, and one about 3 ft behind me, two wall
close on my left and right, and a high cieling in front of me but not
directly above my head. What it does is sort of amplify the lows, and
make the guitar sound more warm overall. Look, you guys are just
jealous because i found the acoustic sweet spot of the universe.

The reasons for building a room in my basement are more than just to
avoid going to a studio. OK, i will go someday, but you have to
understand, it took me like 8 hours to record about 8 minutes of
music. I have this horrible combination of being not a professional
musician (i.e., not that good), and an extreme perfectionist. The
reason for the room in the basement, is mainly for a practice room
because that's where i spent most of my time playing (i wake people up
on the stairwell). Also, i'd like to soundproof a little down here
because i jump every time someone gets shot upstairs, my wife watches
law and order all the time. Also, i have the furnace, washer/dryer...
it's a real mess od bad noise. The place i'd like to do it has 2 walls
already made of concrete, and now a pegboard wall. How is concrete
acoustically. I would think a good absorber. The dimensions would have
to be 14 by 10 ft.

Lastly, i would love to send anyone who was willing to listen, a cd of
my recording with the MXL's in the stairwell. Just for feedback on
sound quality.
Not sure how to go about this. If you emailed me your address, i'd
send you a CD with the title, annoying/studio aversive/ dick in his
front pocket/physicist dude.

later

caveplayer

caveplayer wrote:

Why is everyone so skeptical about the stairwell? You haven't heard it
so how do you know what the sound is like? Not all stairwells are
created equal.

Because we've heard too many overly reverberant spaces before. Yours might
be an exception, but the chances are fairly slim. Try a deader room.
--scott

NOT SURE THIS WENT BECAUSE AOL HUNG UP ON ME. HERE IT IS AGAIN,

[...]

one last thing. This whole mic issue. Simple question. I'm using a
Fostex us-122 into a loptop, and Cakewalk. Would i or would i not
benefit from buying a better mic. I'm getting real mixed opinions
here. Seems simple to me. Is it like plugging a 1957 Les Paul into a
radioshack 4" guitar amplifier? I really don't know, that's why I'm
asking.

Paul Stamler

"caveplayer" wrote in message
om...

[...]

You need to separate out two properties. The first is soundproofing
(transmission), the second is reflection. Concrete may be good for isolation
(not much airborne sound gets through it, although structure-borne sound
can). It is, however, an excellent reflector at all audio frequencies,
meaning you'll need a lot of treatment to deaden the room.

Lastly, i would love to send anyone who was willing to listen, a cd of
my recording with the MXL's in the stairwell. Just for feedback on
sound quality.
Not sure how to go about this. If you emailed me your address, i'd
send you a CD with the title, annoying/studio aversive/ dick in his
front pocket/physicist dude.

one last thing. This whole mic issue. Simple question. I'm using a
Fostex us-122 into a loptop, and Cakewalk. Would i or would i not
benefit from buying a better mic. I'm getting real mixed opinions
here. Seems simple to me. Is it like plugging a 1957 Les Paul into a
radioshack 4" guitar amplifier? I really don't know, that's why I'm
asking.

Let's put it this way: the Fostex isn't anything like the quality of
professional studio equipment, but it's probably not the weakest link in
your audio chain. That is either the microphones or the room. So yes, you'd
almost certainly benefit from better microphones, particularly if they have
a tighter pattern, as they'll pick up less room.

Peace,
Paul

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Look, you guys are just
jealous because i found the acoustic sweet spot of the universe.

Well, then record it and enjoy your recordings. But it seems that's
what you can't do.

The reasons for building a room in my basement are more than just to
avoid going to a studio. OK, i will go someday, but you have to
understand, it took me like 8 hours to record about 8 minutes of
music. I have this horrible combination of being not a professional
musician (i.e., not that good), and an extreme perfectionist.

This is a bad combination. My advice would be to sell all of your
recording equipment and learn to enjoy playing your guitar. What's the
point of recording? Who is going to care other than yourself? Can't
you get a lot more enjoyment (and even build up better chops) by
playing than worrying about making every little phrase perfect?

I'm serious about this. You certainly have a right to choose recording
your guitar as a hobby, but understand that the way you're going about
it, you aren't recording your guitar playing, you're constructing a
musical composition from little bits. Suppose someone hears your
recording and books you to play a show?

reason for the room in the basement, is mainly for a practice room
because that's where i spent most of my time playing (i wake people up
on the stairwell). Also, i'd like to soundproof a little down here
because i jump every time someone gets shot upstairs

OK, so the first thing you're going to have to do is build up the
ceiling - at least three layers of drywall. Then you'll have a lower
ceiling to deal with.

How is concrete
acoustically. I would think a good absorber. The dimensions would have
to be 14 by 10 ft.

Concrete is a good absorber - above about 10 kHz. It's a terrible
absorber for low frequencies (which is where you'll have your
problems) because it's rigid and does a great job of reflecting
everything that hits it. You'll need to do a fair amount of bass
trapping in a room that size.

Lastly, i would love to send anyone who was willing to listen, a cd of
my recording with the MXL's in the stairwell. Just for feedback on
sound quality.

Can you take it? g

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

caveplayer

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1100871156k@trad...
In article
writes:

Look, you guys are just
jealous because i found the acoustic sweet spot of the universe.

Well, then record it and enjoy your recordings. But it seems that's
what you can't do.

I'm working on it. I just purchased some mics from mercenary.
Why is it so crazy to try to record a room that sounds great to your
ears!

This is a bad combination. My advice would be to sell all of your
recording equipment and learn to enjoy playing your guitar. What's the
point of recording? Who is going to care other than yourself? Can't
you get a lot more enjoyment (and even build up better chops) by
playing than worrying about making every little phrase perfect?

I'm recording a historical event. Look, i spend night upon night
learning pretty complicated pieces of music. I want to get them
recorded so that in a few years when i completely forget them I can
listen and say, '****, i can't believe i knew that.' and furthermore,
when i'm old and senile, at least there will be some record of what i
used to be able to do. Also, i do get together with some friends to
jam once in a while, and it's fun to record that, and i happen to like
good sound quality.

I'm serious about this. You certainly have a right to choose recording
your guitar as a hobby, but understand that the way you're going about
it, you aren't recording your guitar playing, you're constructing a
musical composition from little bits. Suppose someone hears your
recording and books you to play a show?

I'd be flattered and would definitely rise to the challange, sweaty
palms and all.

OK, so the first thing you're going to have to do is build up the
ceiling - at least three layers of drywall. Then you'll have a lower
ceiling to deal with.

That OK, i got plenty room

Concrete is a good absorber - above about 10 kHz. It's a terrible
absorber for low frequencies (which is where you'll have your
problems) because it's rigid and does a great job of reflecting
everything that hits it. You'll need to do a fair amount of bass
trapping in a room that size.

That explains alot. I'm always struggling with my subwoofer down here.

Lastly, i would love to send anyone who was willing to listen, a cd of
my recording with the MXL's in the stairwell. Just for feedback on
sound quality.

Can you take it? g

Look pal, I can take it all. Bring it on. I grew up in the Bronx.
caveplayer

writes:

[...]

mic location for classical guitar??? NuclearFishin Pro Audio 10 July 18th 04 03:42 PM
mic location for classical guitar??? NuclearFishin Pro Audio 0 July 16th 04 03:09 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Microphone to record vocals + classical & acoustic guitar Contortion Pro Audio 6 November 19th 03 03:44 PM
mic placement for classical guitar caveplayer Pro Audio 17 October 10th 03 01:49 PM