wylbur37

Default Does Audacity have a slider-bar ?

Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
on the sound file.

I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
to find any such slider bar.

Can someone describe how to find it (if there is one)?

(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)
wylbur37

Phil Nelson wrote in message ...
Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
on the sound file.

(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)

Select the (default) cursor mode (the vertical bar among the buttons in
the upper left corner), left-click in the waveform view at the time you
want to start from, then press "play".

That only works when the player is stopped.
If I'm playing a recording of a radio talk show, for example, and I
miss what someone just said and I want to replay the previous ten
seconds, I would have to first hit the STOP button, then click on a
spot to the left of the current cursor position, then click on PLAY
again. That's a nuisance.
I'd rather just click on any spot to the left (or the right) without
having to bother with STOP and PLAY. (That's how most other sound
players/editors work).
wylbur37

Rod wrote in message ...
Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
on the sound file.

I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
to find any such slider bar.

Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom of the
screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings changed, it had
always been there. Can't say I remember it being not there on previous
versions.

That only scrolls the *view* of the wave display.
It doesn't move the position of the cursor *within* the sound file.

Richard Crowley

"Mister Charlie" wrote ...
Yeah, that would be one of my only complaints with this great program.

So it is open-source. Why doesn't someone add this feature?

Phil Nelson

wylbur37 wrote:
Phil Nelson wrote in message ...

Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
on the sound file.

(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)

Select the (default) cursor mode (the vertical bar among the buttons in
the upper left corner), left-click in the waveform view at the time you
want to start from, then press "play".

That only works when the player is stopped.
If I'm playing a recording of a radio talk show, for example, and I
miss what someone just said and I want to replay the previous ten
seconds, I would have to first hit the STOP button, then click on a
spot to the left of the current cursor position, then click on PLAY
again. That's a nuisance.

IIRC, you can relocate the cursor during playback, but you do still
have to stop and start to play from the current position. I guess it's
not perfect, but for me, not a big problem.

I'd rather just click on any spot to the left (or the right) without
having to bother with STOP and PLAY. (That's how most other sound
players/editors work).

I think you might be looking for a feature called "scrub" and I guess
it's not in Audacity, yet. Maybe you would like to help them code it?

BTW, I use XMMS for listening, and do just what you describe in XMMS.
Sometimes I have problem locating just the right spot because I can't
zoom in and place the cursor accurately the way I can in Audacity.

--
Phil Nelson