Posted to rec.audio.car
nilo nilo is offline

Default Installing Car Alarm - Actuators (what the)

Hi All, I've got myself a Nissan Bluebird 94 (or Altessa in the US i
think).
I want to install a bare basic car alam and remote central locking.
What i want to do is hook up the alarm to the cars existing key/button
based central locking. I'm told I may need an Actuator to lock the
door when I press the button?
When I turn drive side door lock key all the doors lock. When I turn
the passenger side door lock only that one locks. When I press the
central locking button on the door reset on the driver side all doors
except the drive door locks. My is do I need an actuator and how many
do I need?
From my understanding I suppose they are electric switches of some

sort...
Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks!
Nilo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

nilo wrote:
Hi All, I've got myself a Nissan Bluebird 94 (or Altessa in the US i
think).
I want to install a bare basic car alam and remote central locking.
What i want to do is hook up the alarm to the cars existing key/button
based central locking. I'm told I may need an Actuator to lock the
door when I press the button?
When I turn drive side door lock key all the doors lock. When I turn
the passenger side door lock only that one locks. When I press the
central locking button on the door reset on the driver side all doors
except the drive door locks. My is do I need an actuator and how many
do I need?
From my understanding I suppose they are electric switches of some

sort...
Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks!
Nilo

An actuator is the thing that mechanically moves the door locks when power is
applied to it. If you already have power locks, then you already have actuators
in all the doors. All you should need to do is wire the alarm into the existing
power-lock system. Depending on the alarm itself, this MAY require a pair of
relays (some alarms have the relays built-in), but that's about it.
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
nilo wrote:
Hi All, I've got myself a Nissan Bluebird 94 (or Altessa in the US i
think).
I want to install a bare basic car alam and remote central locking.
What i want to do is hook up the alarm to the cars existing key/button
based central locking. I'm told I may need an Actuator to lock the
door when I press the button?
When I turn drive side door lock key all the doors lock. When I turn
the passenger side door lock only that one locks. When I press the
central locking button on the door reset on the driver side all doors
except the drive door locks. My is do I need an actuator and how many
do I need?
From my understanding I suppose they are electric switches of some

sort... Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks!
Nilo

An actuator is the thing that mechanically moves the door locks when power
is applied to it. If you already have power locks, then you already have
actuators in all the doors. All you should need to do is wire the alarm
into the existing power-lock system. Depending on the alarm itself, this
MAY require a pair of relays (some alarms have the relays built-in), but
that's about it.

Not all vehicles have actuators in all the drivers door. There are many
vehicles that do not have them in the drivers door.
Those vehicles have just a switch in the drivers door, so when you lock or
unlock
the drivers door it triggers all the other doors to lock or unclock. In
order to to use the automatic door lock
freature with the alarm, a actuator must be added to the drivers door.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

nilo wrote:

Hi All, I've got myself a Nissan Bluebird 94 (or Altessa in the US i
think).
I want to install a bare basic car alam and remote central locking.
What i want to do is hook up the alarm to the cars existing key/button
based central locking. I'm told I may need an Actuator to lock the
door when I press the button?
When I turn drive side door lock key all the doors lock. When I turn
the passenger side door lock only that one locks. When I press the
central locking button on the door reset on the driver side all doors
except the drive door locks. My is do I need an actuator and how many
do I need?
From my understanding I suppose they are electric switches of some
[...]

Erm... the "actuator" is the device that physically moves the locks when
electricity is applied to it... if a given door's lock is power-actuated, then
it HAS an actuator. End of story.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock3.htm

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

Erm... the "actuator" is the device that physically moves the locks when
electricity is applied to it... if a given door's lock is power-actuated,
then it HAS an actuator. End of story.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock3.htm

Some Nissans and Saabs do not have an actuator in the drivers door. They
have them in the other doors and are activated by switch in Drivers door.
If you want an alarm to work the drivers door you have to add and actuator
and wire that to the alarm.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

e-nigma wrote:
Erm... the "actuator" is the device that physically moves the locks when
electricity is applied to it... if a given door's lock is power-actuated,
then it HAS an actuator. End of story.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-door-lock3.htm

Some Nissans and Saabs do not have an actuator in the drivers door. They
have them in the other doors and are activated by switch in Drivers door.
If you want an alarm to work the drivers door you have to add and actuator
and wire that to the alarm.

Then the driver's door doesn't have a power lock, does it?

My statement still stands: if the door has a power lock, then it necessarily
already has an actuator.
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"nilo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All, I've got myself a Nissan Bluebird 94 (or Altessa in the US i
think).
I want to install a bare basic car alam and remote central locking.
What i want to do is hook up the alarm to the cars existing key/button
based central locking. I'm told I may need an Actuator to lock the
door when I press the button?
When I turn drive side door lock key all the doors lock. When I turn
the passenger side door lock only that one locks. When I press the
central locking button on the door reset on the driver side all doors
except the drive door locks. My is do I need an actuator and how many
do I need?
From my understanding I suppose they are electric switches of some

sort...
Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks!
Nilo

The only info I can find on a Bluebird say that you do have to add a door
lock actuator to the drivers to in order for all the doorlocks to work with
an alarm.
Whan you add the actuator to the drivers door it will activate al the other
door locks.