Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andy Katz Andy Katz is offline

Default Strategic retreat (was seat of the pants bi-amping)

Okay, I bought splitters, hooked them into variable outs, connected
both Dared and Yamaha and, I thought, was off to the races. Not quite.
No sound was coming through the Dared. Kind of Blue on SACD sounded
exactly the same with the Dared switched off as it did switched on.
Not a good sign for an amp, I suspect. I tried fiddling with the
volume knob. No change.

Bearing in mind that I do have other uses for the splitters I decided
to call it a day. I replaced the speaker jumpers with good quality
wire, cleaned all contacts and connected them solely to the Yamaha,
then I routed the fixed pre-out into the Dared. I have a pair of BIC
America DV62si at the other end of the room. I checked their power
handling capabilities: sure enough, 10-125 watts. Ought to be in range
for the Dared, so I hooked *them* up.

Now I have two sets of speakers connected to one source powered by two
different amps. Not so esoteric as bi-amping, but Laurie Anderson's
Strange Angels sounds awfully good on the BICs alone.

A little fuzzy, but like angora.

Thanks Bob and Jerry especially for the tips, encouragement and
especially cautions;-)

Until next time.....

Andy Katz