Default Installing alarm myself

Went to 3 different car audio places to get quotes for an alarm on my
1999 toyota tacoma prerunner....

I am sorry, but 200 - 250 bucks for a basic alarm with keyless entry is
insane.

How hard is it to install and program these things? Is it like some
sort of industry trade secret? I am a network engineer and have been
for 5 years and my wife is a software engineer so I figure we can
figure this out...

Need special tools or anything? And of the quotes prices, I wonder how
much of that is for the actual unit?

Eddie Runner

Went to 3 different car audio places to get quotes for an alarm on my
1999 toyota tacoma prerunner....

I am sorry, but 200 - 250 bucks for a basic alarm with keyless entry is
insane.

Thats pretty much the going price, our most popular is about $225
installed... I think thats about average across the country...
why is that insane?

How hard is it to install and program these things?

Typicly, a decent installer does an alarm like this in less than 3 hours,
some cars are easier and some cars are harder so the time may vary
but 3 hours is what I usually tell customers the time will be.

So, someone that has never done an alarm before might spend
all afternoon or all day doing an alarm or longer (do it yourselfers).
Some folks give up and bring it to a pro. (pretty common)....

Is it like somesort of industry trade secret?

Its not a secret, but it does take some skill to find and interface
with so many different wires on so many different cars easily.

I am a network engineer and have been
for 5 years and my wife is a software engineer so I figure we can
figure this out...

Maybe so, give it a try.

Need special tools or anything?

If you dont know maybe you want to let a pro do it, they generally have
the correct tools.

You know you will have to find the 12 volt constant and 12 volt
switched wires in the car, as well as the wire from the key to the
starter (which generally needs a boesh relay configured as a starter
kill) , as well as the door lock and unlock wires ( may need lock and
unlock relays for this and or resistor packs) , as well as the
door trigger or dome light wire, as well as the parking light wire so
they flash when the alarm sets, as well as finding a hole through
your cars firewall so that the siren wire can connect, then find a place
for the siren horn where the screws wont puncture anything important,
as well as drilling a hole in the dash for the LED blinker and the
valet switch. Plus find a suitable place for the shock sensor and
adjust it properly....

And of the quotes prices, I wonder how
much of that is for the actual unit?

probably about 1/2

Good luck

Eddie Runner
installin since 1974
http://www.installer.com/tech/

you are right, too complicated... but still, that still seems like alot
of money... the cheapest place in town offered a unit which I GUESS was
called "K9"... of course I am used to names like Viper and Python... so
I was wary

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
wrote:

Went to 3 different car audio places to get quotes for an alarm on my
1999 toyota tacoma prerunner....

I am sorry, but 200 - 250 bucks for a basic alarm with keyless entry is
insane.

How hard is it to install and program these things? Is it like some
sort of industry trade secret? I am a network engineer and have been
for 5 years and my wife is a software engineer so I figure we can
figure this out...

Need special tools or anything? And of the quotes prices, I wonder how
much of that is for the actual unit?

It's not too bad. You'll need to prepare for the installation if you
don't want it to be a disaster. That preparation is the tough part that
might make $250 reasonable.

You'll need to:

Make sure that the alarm comes with relays if they're needed for your
door locks.

A repair manual showing the car's wiring diagrams. Wiring harness
adaptors can speed up parts of the installation.

A soldering iron or splices. I don't like splices because they're
damaged by mechanical vibration, but they are fast to use. Wrap them up
tight with electrical tape if you use them.

Hardware to mount the horn. A drill and drill bit is the minimum. If
you have access to both sides of a panel then you'll use bolts and self
locking nuts. If you have access to only one side, then self-tapping
sheet metal screws or a tapping tool to cut threads. Clean it then coat
it with silicone glue before assembly to prevent rust and rattles.

Tie-downs of various sizes. You'll need to make sure that wires do not
rattle and rub against each other. A network engineer no doubt has many
of these

You'll need a plan for the whole job.

Masterson

Here is a good question for you....

How much do you charge/make per hour? as a "network engineer"
A $50 per hour shop rate is INCREDIBLY cheap.
Compare what Toyota's shop rate is to work on that truck.
Or any aftermarket mechanic on Toyotas.

A breakdown on a $225 alarm install.
Alarm cost $100.00
Labor cost $50 per hour for 2.5 hours ......$125.00

How about all the other little things that cost?
The shops warranty? Or how about the shop itself! (ie rent?)
Then there's FICA matching, Unemployment, Insurance,
etc etc etc.

After paying for the equipment, labor, and being open.....
I bet the net profit on you is around $65. (using viper costs)

What I consider INSANE? That this industry sells our
stuff/labor so cheap!

I am a network engineer and have been
for 5 years and my wife is a software engineer so I figure we can
figure this out...

Kirby

The way I figure it, start sweet talking. That is the one method that always
seems to work. Eddie (I don't mean to pick on you, I just now know that you
are an installer. Please don't take offence), you can't tell me you've never
had an asshole like me come in and want everything for nothing. A dealer
will usually at least meet me half way.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Went to 3 different car audio places to get quotes for an alarm on my
1999 toyota tacoma prerunner....

I am sorry, but 200 - 250 bucks for a basic alarm with keyless entry is
insane.

How hard is it to install and program these things? Is it like some
sort of industry trade secret? I am a network engineer and have been
for 5 years and my wife is a software engineer so I figure we can
figure this out...

Need special tools or anything? And of the quotes prices, I wonder how
much of that is for the actual unit?

Eddie Runner

Kirby wrote:

The way I figure it, start sweet talking. That is the one method that always
seems to work. Eddie (I don't mean to pick on you, I just now know that you
are an installer. Please don't take offence),

I love it when people pick on me ;-)

you can't tell me you've never
had an asshole like me come in and want everything for nothing. A dealer
will usually at least meet me half way.

Sure, I have had lots of asshole customers, I might say the assholes
are my favorites, they are more of a challenge to me than most customers.

Our shop is in one of the richest neighborhoods in the country, I get a
fair share of assholes with fancy cars, I feel very satisfied when I am done
with their car and they are happy... I have been installing since 1974 and
in that 30+ years there are only a handfull of customers that werent happy
(verbally), and were too big an asshole for me to satisfy...

When folks want something for nothing do they really?
If you can get the install cheaper at the fleamarket parkinglot, its pretty
easy for me to show them our shop, and our tools and our test gear and
usually our expertise and installers confidence with their car overcomes
the need to cheapness... Afterall what kind of expertise can you find in
the fleamarket parking lot...???

I can show folks what they are getting with an install from us, if nothing
else our confidence will usually win them over... Folks feel better leaving
thier car to someone sure of themselves than with a flea market kid.

If folks still want something for nothing, then they get nothing...

Eddie

Sean Scott

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
Kirby wrote:

[...]

Do you still do installs Eddie? If so, where are you located?

Eddie Runner

Yes, I still install... Im gettin old and starting to slow down a little
but Im still in the bay nearly every day...

Were in Houston...

Eddie
Been installin since 1974

Sean Scott wrote:

If folks still want something for nothing, then they get nothing...

Eddie

Do you still do installs Eddie? If so, where are you located?

Sean Scott

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
Yes, I still install... Im gettin old and starting to slow down a little
but Im still in the bay nearly every day...

Were in Houston...

Eddie
Been installin since 1974

That is a bummer for me, heh, I'm in Columbus, OH.

Sean Scott wrote:

If folks still want something for nothing, then they get nothing...

Eddie

Do you still do installs Eddie? If so, where are you located?

Shane Perkins

On 2005-01-03, Eddie Runner wrote:

Nothin wrong with some of the K9 models, there are many good alarms
other than Viper. But the most important thing may be the installer...
Be carefull.

Sorry for coming in on this one late, but which alarms do you recommend,
Eddie?

I've got an Avital in my 98' Civic and love it. Because I liked
that one so much, I bought another Avital (diff model) for my 2001 Ford
but couldn't stand it but am now looking to put one in my wife's car and
am looking at different manufacturers. Her car doesn't have keyless
entry right now -- will most modern alarms provide the functionality?

Shane