Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph Stavitsky

Default protection

Hearing protection,. that is.

Just went to see my audiologist, got myself tested (AOK) and fitted for
sensaphonics custom earplugs. They come in 9db, 15db, and 25db. What do
you all recommend?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Joseph Stavitsky" wrote ...
Hearing protection,. that is.

Just went to see my audiologist, got myself tested (AOK) and fitted
for
sensaphonics custom earplugs. They come in 9db, 15db, and 25db. What
do
you all recommend?

Depends on where you are and how loud the sound is.
Likely why there is a choice of different attenuation
values.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen

Joseph Stavitsky wrote:

Hearing protection,. that is.

Huh? .... ah, yes. Otherwise I had been a lot worse off now.

Just went to see my audiologist, got myself tested (AOK)

Do not assume anything, the hearing will test OK for long time while its
redudancy diminishes until suddenly an exposure that should have been
recoverable is not.

and fitted for sensaphonics custom earplugs. They come in 9db,
15db, and 25db. What do you all recommend?

If you have to ask ... Actually if hearing protection is required, then
perhaps you should not be there, 15 dB will for instance be wise in most
present day movie theatres. 9 dB are for those that are already
semi-deaf and go incommunicado with larger protection. 25 dB is an
average unlinear threshold post concert threshold shift, just to get
things into perspective.

For a simple guideline: if it is over 100 dB absolute peak (!) then use
the corresponding amount of attenuation because that is the real hazard
line. Most electric shavers exceed that btw. - as does may kitchen
applicances and most certainly all kinds of powertools. Hammer and nail,
oh - gets you to perhaps 140 dB peak if you are a good slammer. Add 10
dB of tolerance if you create the noise or otherwise participate, ie.
dance.

That was the theory, but the real world is far too noisy. So we add 20
dB to get it doable, that brings the average loudness to around 95 dB
LIN before you need to use ear protection.

In a musical context you only need A readings in case you need to show
that an obviously unsafe concert is safe, they have the nice feature of
omitting incorrectly setup tweeter arrays as well as the ear drum
rupture risk in front of a large bass stack, use linear if available and
C if not, those readings will be some 5+ dB higher than A weighted.

A weighted measurements are in my opinion for use in the ears unlinear
working area and to show whether noise distracts. D weighting gives a
much better correlation to how I perceive discomfort from loud noise,
and probably is what should have been used. My opinion differs from
current standards, feel free to look them up yourself.

To some guidelines:

chamber music: you probably need the 9 dB plugs for safety, a violin can
peak louder than a concert grand. And then there is the applause,
absolute peaks a likely to be in the 120 dB LIN range ..

symphonic orchestra: 15 dB should do if the room is not too small for
the orchestra. If you play woodwinds in the orchestra you will be in
front of the brass and you will need the 25 dB plugs even by the safety
standards that I claim are insufficient to describe the risk from music.

Big band, Jazz, Concert Band, depends on the room size and the distance
to the ensemble, 15 to 25 dB requirement is likely.

PA'ed rock music ... 25 dB, but probably 15 if you mix it. Make it big,
do not make it loud. Note that the average level can be increased
without the measured peak level increasing, I have assumed a 25 dB crest
factor, if it is less, then the risk is as much greater.

Disco: It is like a REAL metal shop or a day at the races, F1 or
similar, bone conduct will do yo in anyway, in the metal shop because of
the extreme peak levels, in the disco because of the extreme average
lavel of the 7 times multiband compressed music. Not all discos are bad,
but some are really really bad and all have a very high average level.

That bone conduct will do you in when more than some 30 to 40 dB
attenutation is required, less if you eustachian tube is open (!), is no
reason not to use ear protection. Plugs as well as shooting range muffs
come to mind, and it is vital to use them, because you can at the very
least slow damage down.

All of the above is personal opinion based on my experiences with loud
noise, there are all kinds of fact resources out there if you want
"facts".

/ Peter Larsen