richard pickworth

Default acoustic impeadance

Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the acoustic load on a piston in infinate baffle?
I know (vaguely) how it is calculated, but it has real and imaginary parts.
What to do with them? Is it something to do with reactive intensity?
yours
Richard Pickworth

Ron Capik

richard pickworth wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the acoustic load on a piston in infinate baffle?
I know (vaguely) how it is calculated, but it has real and imaginary parts.
What to do with them? Is it something to do with reactive intensity?
yours
Richard Pickworth

In a nut shell: It's related to energy storage as the air is compressed.
The sound wave propigates (real part) and also pushes back at the
piston (imaginary part)

I'll leave what to do with then to someone else.

Later...

Ron Capik

Svante

"richard pickworth" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the acoustic load on a piston in infinate baffle?
I know (vaguely) how it is calculated, but it has real and imaginary parts.
What to do with them? Is it something to do with reactive intensity?
yours
Richard Pickworth

The air is moved by the piston, and it has a mass. The imaginary part
of your equation corresponds to the effective air mass as seen by the
piston. And yes, a mass since the mass is reactive, it can take
reactive power.

Also, as the piston moves, some power is dissipated into the space, in
terms of the propagating sound wave. The real part of your equation
supplies a resistive component that can dissipate this (active) power.

Svante

"richard pickworth" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the acoustic load on a piston in infinate baffle?
I know (vaguely) how it is calculated, but it has real and imaginary parts.
What to do with them? Is it something to do with reactive intensity?
yours
Richard Pickworth

The air is moved by the piston, and it has a mass. The imaginary part
of your equation corresponds to the effective air mass as seen by the
piston. And yes, a mass since the mass is reactive, it can take
reactive power.

Also, as the piston moves, some power is dissipated into the space, in
terms of the propagating sound wave. The real part of your equation
supplies a resistive component that can dissipate this (active) power.

Acoustic foam placement Panzzi High End Audio 0 April 7th 04 05:25 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 04:04 AM
How to design acoustic synth pad? LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 1 September 10th 03 02:20 AM
Fixing acoustic foam to ceiling Rick Powell Pro Audio 3 September 2nd 03 02:06 AM
Similar to Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror? Erik Pro Audio 2 July 7th 03 11:44 PM