johnebravo836

Default Question of value of stereo equipment

me wrote:

I hope this question is appropriate for the newsgroups, I'm not too into
audio, but I am hoping for a quick opinion from those who are.

I am de-cluttering and moving, and one of the things in question is a stereo
component set that was purchased 20 years ago (yes TWENTY!). It's still
working fine. It is Sanyo and consists of a tuner, a turntable, single
cassette player (which also records from the tuner or turntable), and two
28" high speakers. It was part of what they used to call a "rack system",
although I got rid of the rack ages ago. Then about ten years ago, I added
a Sony 5-disc CD player. It works just fine, you can still get needles for
the turntable -- but it's OLD (and who uses turntables anymore), and it's
not too much fun to hook up.

It falls into the category of too good to toss out -- but I'm sick of moving
it, and frankly, don't listen to it much anymore.

Being that it is twenty years old, is there any value to it at all? Or is
it garage sale stuff? I hate to pay $25 or $30 for an ad in the paper
just to find out it's worth maybe $50.

Thanks for any opinons!

You'd be *very* lucky to get even $50 for it, frankly.

Lionel

me a écrit :

Thanks for any opinons!

If you want some, keep it for your children.

William Sommerwerck

If it's truly a rack system...

Rack systems had a poor reputation when they were new. If you got $50 for it,
you'd be lucky.

I would toss it or give it away.

Record Ho!

Better Yet! Donate it to Goodwill or The Salvation Army or other
Non-Charitable Organization for a tax write off.
At least you would some tax credit and someone will get a bargain on top of
that.
Recordho!

"me" nospamhere wrote in message

[...]

Alex Rodriguez

In article , nospamhere says...
[...]

Don't bother with the newspaper ad. You will be dissappointed. There must
be someone who will take it off your hands.
-----------
Alex

Sander deWaal

"me" nospamhere said:

It is Sanyo and consists of a tuner, a turntable, single
cassette player (which also records from the tuner or turntable), and two
28" high speakers. It was part of what they used to call a "rack system",
although I got rid of the rack ages ago. Then about ten years ago, I added
a Sony 5-disc CD player. It works just fine, you can still get needles for
the turntable -- but it's OLD (and who uses turntables anymore), and it's
not too much fun to hook up.

If they're all separate components, maybe you'll get $50 for it.
You can also donate it to a local school, church or whatever.
Dunno about the educational system in your neighborhood, but here some
schools barely have money to pay the teachers anymore.
More than once, I've made them happy with old, but good working TVs,
audio equipment and computers.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Bad Penny

"Lionel" wrote in message
me a écrit :

Thanks for any opinons!

If you want some, keep it for your children.

But eventually, one of his descendants will have to throw the horrible thing
out.
Why punish the grandchildren?