Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Default Shure M78S frequency response

Hi y'all,

are frequency response data for the Shure M78S available? - I would like
to be able to compensate for its own frequency aberrations when making
transfers ... Shures website does not appear to contain anything but the
enclosed leaflet in pdf-form.

Peter Larsen

Crossposted to rec.audio.pro and rec.audio.tech with followup-to: set to
point at rec.audio.tech.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

are frequency response data for the Shure M78S available? - I would like
to be able to compensate for its own frequency aberrations when making
transfers ... Shures website does not appear to contain anything but the
enclosed leaflet in pdf-form.

The response will be totally different on different arms and with different
tracking arrangements.

Get the Shure S16 test record, play back some sweeps, and measure the
response yourself.

Or even better, fiddle with the arm arrangement until the response is
flat. Don't forget to get the square wave tracks to look like real square
waves on playback!

You can't look at the response of the cartridge in isolation because it's
part of a system. You have to look at the cartridge/arm combination, and
even then you should expect things to change with altered setup. The
test sweeps will show you most of what you need to know and the square
wave will show you the rest.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Get the Shure S16 test record, play back some sweeps,
and measure the response yourself.

Question regarding its applicability in 78 rpm context and availability
posted in Shures form-mail system, thanks!

You can't look at the response of the cartridge in isolation
because it's part of a system. You have to look at the
cartridge/arm combination,

Understood, deck is btw. a Thorens TD124 with SME II, detachable
headshell and cartridge is wired for stereo.

and even then you should expect things to change with altered
setup. The test sweeps will show you most of what you need to
know and the square wave will show you the rest.

For microgroove I use my B&K sweep-record, I had not considered also to
look at square waves, thank you for that suggestion, you are most
helpful Scott, seems like I should also look into a more informative
test record for microgroove playback.

--scott

Peter Larsen