CatalystX

Default Vibration Damping and Sound Absorbing

I'm building a system in a 1991 Toyota Camry and plan on installing
some kind of material throughout the interior to reduce outside noise.
It's damn loud inside compared to modern cars, plus I'll be driving two
JL 12W6s in the trunk, so I definitely need something.

The problem is I'm not sure what products to use and where to apply
them. From what I understand, most noise heard inside is from the body
vibrating so damping seems most important. I assume there would still
be considerable vibration when using a single layer of something like
the polymeric mastic from www.mcmaster-carr.com though.

Would using a sound absorbing foam on top of the damping sheet further
reduce noise to warrant the extra cost? Maybe only in specific areas?
If it does help a lot, would I lose the benefit by using a more
affordable liquid damping compound instead of the mastic sheets?

Thanks
Aaron
M.C. Tee

just buy some sound deadening from a local car audio shop, they will
probably have a list of different brands to choose from, and varying
expensives for each

"CatalystX" wrote in message
t...
[...]

sanitarium

I am not sure about mastic sealer... never used the stuff before.

I used rubberized chassis under-coating (aerosol spray can, Kragen),
about 1.5 cans per door, a few cans on the floorboards and about 1.5
cans per rear quarter panel. I masked off critical areas and sprayed
the stuff, aiming for all the sheetmetal. On top of that I adhered a
layer of asphalt roofing sheet (peel-N-seal, home depot/Lowe's) and a
layer of dynamat on top of all that. Used a HEAT GUN (!!!) throughout
and it reduced ambient noise a substantial amount.

I put double layers of dynamat on the front / rear wheel wells.

Garrett

CatalystX wrote:

[...]

Tha Ghee

"CatalystX" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I've tried the mastic with surprisingly good results, the only problem is
the smell. I would put it on the firewall, floors, door panels, and where
the spks. are mounted. I would put the mastic down and see what the
difference is.