Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nicole Massey Nicole Massey is offline

Default Computer as Reciever For a Blind Home Owner

I have a Yamaha receiver that regularly annoys me. It doesn't do any input
conversion, so if I want to run either component, S-video, or digital sound
(like AC3) I'll have to run everything that way, and of course my gear
doesn't support all that. I also can't replace all my gear, as some of it,
especially the Laserdisc player, aren't made anymore.
Volume is a problem with some of the components. My Boston Acoustics
speakers require a higher input power rating than I consider a comfortable
listening level. I discovered the problem wasn't a blown driver when I
hooked up my laptop to the receiver and dropped its volume and cranked up
the power amp. I need more wattage and the ability to lower independent
volumes for each component.

And I'd like to go Blue Ray so I can start taking advantage of the Blue Ray
discs with descriptive video on them. I already have a computer in there,
(to play my ripped CD's and downloaded files, as it was easier to just rip
everything and then access it through the computers instead of trying to
find something on a shelf) and with Jaws it'll be fully accessible, assuming
I find the right applications. Plus I could take advantage of Amazon Prime
and Netflix content, which will have to have descriptive video fairly soon
as an option.
So here's what I'm thinking. I want to get rid of the receiver, pick up a
few power amps to feed the Boston Acoustics speakers, Grab three more
speakers for a 7.1 setup, and then set up the Stereo Computer (A dual core
Dell) as the nexus of my home stereo system.
The Dell has PCI Express slots. I'll swap out the internal DVD-R drive for a
Blue Ray drive. I'll need inputs for a VCR, (until I get all my VHS tapes
converted -- I have some rare things there that will need custom conversion,
and I have a friend who's good at this) and the AC3 and video inputs from
the Laserdisc player. A turntable and cassette deck are always nice but not
mandatory. I'll also want to put a tuner card in the computer in case I
decide to get cable again.
So this is 2-4 inputs, One of which (the VCR, just in case) also needs an
output, and a 7.1 PCI Express card out. I'll need at least two video inputs
in for the Laserdisc player and the VCR, and AC3 in there somewhere, again
for the Laserdisc player. Four inputs could mean an 8 port audio interface,
and I'd also need an output card that will support 7.1.
Then I'll need to source some way to get HDMI video into a regular composite
TV signal for now until I get one of my two projection units troubleshot and
hung.
After that it's a matter of locating seven channels of power amplification,
some way to use a remote with the computer, and some applications that I can
control all of this. I'll probably use IBlink or Winamp for radio stations,
too.

So:
Anyone know of any good PCI Express 7.1 cards for a reasonable price? 24/96
or better would be a plus.
Anyone know of anything that will let you control a computer with a remote?
Anyone got any good suggestions on multi-channel power amps at a reasonable
price? I don't need pro-audio stuff for this, and the room is about fourteen
feet wide and eighteen feet long for the living room portion of it.
What PCI Express interfaces are good enough to do home audio at a reasonable
price with at least 8 inputs?
How can I get at least two composite video inputs into the computer? What
about an AC3 input?
How about something that will output video? I probably need only one
additional video output for the VCR.
Anyone have any suggestions for control software for home audio systems? I
want this to be user friendly enough that a roommate or visitor doesn't need
a thirty minute teaching session to be able to do something to watch a movie
or listen to music. And being able to control the additional outputs would
also be nice, as my plans are to eventually wire the whole house for sound,
so I can do a stereo feed to the rest of the house for music in the
bedrooms, kitchen, game room Zen room, and back patio. But the software also
has to use standard navigation commands so I can navigate without a mouse.
General suggestions on this procedure and all will also be appreciated. I'm
not in a hurry right now -- I'm in the initial stages of all of this, so
there's a lot of thinking that will happen long before any real serious
purchasing happens. And suggestions of who I might contact for more
information would also be nice.

Thanks for any assistance y'all can provide.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno is offline

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:27:45 -0500, "Nicole Massey"
wrote:

I have a Yamaha receiver that regularly annoys me. It doesn't do any input
conversion, so if I want to run either component, S-video, or digital sound
(like AC3) I'll have to run everything that way, and of course my gear
doesn't support all that. I also can't replace all my gear, as some of it,
especially the Laserdisc player, aren't made anymore.

So, BUY a new HT receiver for a mere $200 and all your troubles go away.
Do NOT buy a Yamaha.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

wrote:

I have a Yamaha receiver that regularly annoys me. It doesn't do any input
conversion, so if I want to run either component, S-video, or digital
sound
(like AC3) I'll have to run everything that way, and of course my gear
doesn't support all that. I also can't replace all my gear, as some of it,
especially the Laserdisc player, aren't made anymore.

So, BUY a new HT receiver for a mere $200 and all your troubles go away.
Do NOT buy a Yamaha.

Yamaha is SO much better quality than a lot of the (other) crap out there
these days.

I do authorized service for Sony, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, and Samsung.

I'd pick Yamaha any day. Not sure about the OP's requirements however. His
needs are pretty specialized.
He may need some external processing units no matter what he chooses to
replace his old unit.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

I have a Yamaha receiver that regularly annoys me. It doesn't do any input
conversion, so if I want to run either component, S-video, or digital
sound
(like AC3) I'll have to run everything that way, and of course my gear
doesn't support all that. I also can't replace all my gear, as some of it,
especially the Laserdisc player, aren't made anymore.

So, BUY a new HT receiver for a mere $200 and all your troubles go away.
Do NOT buy a Yamaha.

The blind accessibility issue still isn't addressed with that course of
action.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_2_] whosbest54[_2_] is offline

In article , says...
[...]

I'm fairly knowledgeable of PCs and home theater (HT) and I don't think your
plan is very practical. It might be possible to make it work, but by the
time you find everything you need and get software that does it all to work
the way you want, you may be out a lot of time and money that would be better
put into a more standard HT setup.

The 2 most significant gaps in the info you provided a

What inputs does your TV have?
What outputs does your PC have?

Once I have that info, I might provide more recommendations, but for
starters, assuming your TV has HDMI inputs:

- Get a decent 7.1 A/V receiver with enough power for your speakers as
proposed that converts all video to HDMI and does HDMI switching. It will
need the necessary audio inputs for all your components as well. Most decent
A/V receivers will meet your needs, including multi-room audio.

- If your PC has only VGA video and a 2 channel analog output, then you could
hook the vid out to the TV if it has a RGB/VGA input and the analog audio to
the new receiver.

A plus would be an HDMI output from the PC you could hook up directly to the
receiver. It might be worth getting the hardware to do that on the PC, but
it really depends on what you want to use the PC for. If you are serious
about internet sources being your main form of entertainment, then consider
it. A new PC with a Blu-Ray drive and HDMI output might not be tremendously
more expensive than adding the hardware for HDMI and Blu-Ray to your existing
machine. If your TV only has a HDMI input and no RGB/VGA, then you may have
to go the HDMI route.

I have a PC with a digital coax audio and VGA out. My LG flat screen plasma
has a RGB/VGA input and the audio goes to my receiver. I've had great
results with internet sources.

A generic tuner card would work for over the air, but many cable companies
are beginning to encrypt everything and if your cable provider is doing
the same, then you'd need their tuner box or perhaps something CableCard
ready.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nicole Massey Nicole Massey is offline

"whosbest54" wrote in message
In article , says...
[...]

The current TV has Composite video, coax, and left and right audio, and
that's it. It's an old CRT TV, probably 28 inches in the screen or so. The
future projection unit is a 3M unit with component and composite video and
VGA in -- it's a pull from a local university.
The computer has the basic array of computer I/O for audio (Mic in, Line In,
Line/speaker out) and HDMI video.
I know a lot about audio engineering for the professional and
semi-professional side of things, and it'd be a lot easier to get an 8
channel stereo mixer and use sends to feed the center, side, and rear
speakers with a crossover from the entire deal for the subwoofer, but that's
a lot more than I'd want in a living room because it would leave anyone
besides me in the dust without a long discussion about how it all worked.
The overriding concern about this and using the computer is one of
accessibility -- my blindness is almost total now after a hypertensive event
right at ten years ago, so something where I can use a screen reader on the
computer would be the main goal. Plus I have a lot of CDs ripped, over 500,
and I'm contemplating the purchase of the complete Mozart set at some point
not too far in the future, which will be an immediate jump of another 170
discs. Having the ability to build playlists and run everything from the
computer is a good thing. And as you mentioned, computers are getting
cheaper all the time, so I can replace it when it gives up for a lot less
money than replacing a stereo component, and since PCI Express seems to be
the popular standard right now going with either that or Thunderbolt seems
to be a good plan for keeping the hardware usable for a good while.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

Not having HDMI on the projector limits your ability to do Blu-Ray to a
computer.

Look for a A/V receiver that converts everything to component for the
projector, but use the VGA on the projector for the PC.

Route all your audio through the receiver. You could possibly use the HDMI
out from the PC to the receiver to manage the audio, or use the analog audio
out from the PC and hook that to the receiver.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nicole Massey Nicole Massey is offline

"whosbest54" wrote in Not having
HDMI on the projector limits your ability to do Blu-Ray to a
computer.

Look for a A/V receiver that converts everything to component for the
projector, but use the VGA on the projector for the PC.

Route all your audio through the receiver. You could possibly use the
HDMI
out from the PC to the receiver to manage the audio, or use the analog
audio
out from the PC and hook that to the receiver.

Oh, the Yamaha won't work for Blue Ray either, as it's a 5.1 unit, so I'm
looking at something better anyway if I go with Blue Ray. So Blue Ray won't
display through VGA even if the player is internal to the computer? That
does change plans a bit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_2_] whosbest54[_2_] is offline

In article , says...
"whosbest54" wrote in Not having
HDMI on the projector limits your ability to do Blu-Ray to a
computer.

Look for a A/V receiver that converts everything to component for the
projector, but use the VGA on the projector for the PC.

Route all your audio through the receiver. You could possibly use the
HDMI
out from the PC to the receiver to manage the audio, or use the analog
audio
out from the PC and hook that to the receiver.

Oh, the Yamaha won't work for Blue Ray either, as it's a 5.1 unit, so I'm
looking at something better anyway if I go with Blue Ray. So Blue Ray won't
display through VGA even if the player is internal to the computer? That
does change plans a bit.

I have a Blu-Ray hooked up to a 5.1 receiver with coax audio and it works
fine. It will play DTS in 5.1 and DD 5.1 from standard DVDs. But you said
your current receiver is underpowered for your speakers. And it likely
won't do much for multi-room audio.

Almost all the Blu-Ray players I've seen manufactured recently have only
HDMI outputs. You may be able to find one with a component output - perhaps
an older unit. Any newer ones with component are suppose to limit vid
quality to 480p (or is it 480i?) on the component out anyway for copy
protection reasons.

So, as I said, you'd have to use a computer for Blu-Ray video for the best
display using the projector you mentioned as the projector doesn't have
HDMI.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno is offline

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 05:59:56 -0500, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Think you could do a full re-furb on my $1200 (1990 dollars) LaserDisc
player? It needs all new EL caps all the way through. And that will
likely solve the issue it was starting to have way back when it quit. The
other three players I have work fine. Figures the crazy expensive one
would be the one that dries up.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno is offline

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:03:12 -0500, whosbest54
wrote:

Almost all the Blu-Ray players I've seen manufactured recently have only
HDMI outputs. You may be able to find one with a component output

As far as I know, BD players have NEVER had component output.

They are REQUIRED to have an HDCP compliant HDMI output.

IF they ALSO have a component output, it will be handcuffed down to
480p for all bd output fed to it.

The HDCP rule is that if ANY full res HD signal gets downgraded to a
different output format interface, the resolution ALSO has to be
downgraded to 480p.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Yamaha is SO much better quality than a lot of the (other) crap out there
these days.

You must have missed the part where he stated that the inputs are not
cross switchable.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Almost all the Blu-Ray players I've seen manufactured recently have only
HDMI outputs. You may be able to find one with a component output

As far as I know, BD players have NEVER had component output.

I didn't say only a component output, it obviously could have both
HDMI and oomponent under my sentence. Here's one that does have a
component out, as well as composite and S-Vid.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P10.../dp/B000F99FDE

IF they ALSO have a component output, it will be handcuffed down to
480p for all bd output fed to it.

True, and I said that. But I should note that went into effect after BD
players were already manufactured for some time, so there may be older
ones out there that have higher res component outputs.

The HDCP rule is that if ANY full res HD signal gets downgraded to a
different output format interface, the resolution ALSO has to be
downgraded to 480p.

The output format interfaces composite and S-Vid would be 480i, not 480p.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

Okay, so it sounds like the best idea would be to sell my two 3M projection
units and get one that has HDMI as an option to remove some of the format
conversion issues from the system. This would probably alleviate some of the
other issues, as the 3M units have a minimum throw range of fourteen feet,
and that's about the width of my living room, so getting one that better
fits the space would be much better.
If I had the money to spend I'd probably sell everything and build from
scratch, but unfortunately I have to work with what I currently have. So it
comes back to getting audio into the computer and back out again, and
getting video into the computer and back out again, and finding a good way
to controll all of this in a manner intuitive to folks who are neither
audiophiles nor audio professionals. (which probably means some sort of
remote to control what's switching in the computer)
As for a tuner card, as mentioned earlier, I'd need to get one that works
with the local broadcast HD channels, as there's no reason to drop a
converter into the mix as well as all of the other things needed.
I also probably need to get one of the speakers down and have someone who
can see read me the specs on the back, or at least the model number so I
can research their specs on the web, so I know how much power they need and
how much they can take. They came out of classrooms at a major music
university, and they're not showing any distortion if the volume level is up
enough to give the speakers the power they need, so they should probably do
the gig if I can get enough juice into them to drive the coils and
crossovers.
The other piece of gear I'm not ready to let go of is the Pioneer CLD-409
Laserdisc player. But I'm willing to part with the reciever (Yamaha RX-V461)
and DVD/VCR (Sylvania dvc860D) if I need to. I'd prefer not to let the
subwoofer go (not sure of the brand and model) unless I really have to.
Oh, and the computer is a DELL Optiplex 780 E7500 Minitower.
Maybe that will clear up some of the uncertain areas in all of this.
And one more thing -- I'm not a "he".