Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Cassette Deck Azimuth Adjustment

In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
album on cassette.

Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
- A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 10/2/2010 9:06 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
album on cassette.

Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
- A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?

My question would be "are any of those any good at all?" (for your
stated purpose), considering that the copies are made on high-speed
duplicating equipment.

Shouldn't you be looking for some kind of standard alignment cassette
(assuming availability and budget)?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Sofa Slug

wrote:
On 10/2/2010 9:06 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
In the absence of voltmeters and removing the grounds of headphones to
get a positive L-R, are there certain pre-recorded cassette labels
that are better than others for obtaining a *reasonably* well aligned
tape head that will play at least 90% of my tapes properly? Of course
I know NEVER to use a blank cassette recorded on at HOME to align a
deck. Better to use a barely or never played recently purchased
album on cassette.

Which labels tend to produce the most consistently accurate cassettes
- A&M records, Sony, BMI, Capital, Geffen, Rhino, or others?

Seems like you answered your own question. Just adjust so 90%
of your tapes play well. You can try a known test tape, but
what does that prove ??

You got a mono switch ?

Actually his idea of lifting the ground on a pair of headphones to give only
out of phase sound is far better anyway, but that really only works if you
have a mono recording, which test tapes are, and most music cassettes are
not.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Oct 4, 12:02*pm, (GregS) wrote:

You got a mono switch ?

greg- Hide quoted text -

__________________
A mono switch - that 's the WORST thing you'd want.

I align my cassettes with a good headphone on, IN STEREO, and if it
sounds phasey or off to one side, I know the head's not tracking
properly. In mono, that would cancel out and the playback would sound
centered no matter where I turned the azimuth screw. BONK BONK
BONK Sound of hammer hitting head.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:02=A0pm, (GregS) wrote:

You got a mono switch ?

greg- Hide quoted text -

A mono switch - that 's the WORST thing you'd want.

I align my cassettes with a good headphone on, IN STEREO, and if it
sounds phasey or off to one side, I know the head's not tracking
properly. In mono, that would cancel out and the playback would sound
centered no matter where I turned the azimuth screw. BONK BONK
BONK Sound of hammer hitting head.

-CC

The high frequencies will change.

greg