Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] glenb900@hotmail.com is offline

Default How to stop Speaker Foam Rot before it happens.

The most common problem with home stereo speakers is that they
deteriorate around the poly-foam suspension or surround. This usually
happens from 10 to 15 years. Some people call it Speaker Foam Rot and
is usually caused by aging of the surround, not by any abuse. When
this happens you can buy a kit to replace the surround but what can
you do when the foam is still good so this never happens?

I'm told that this can be stopped by applying something to the foam to
protect it, keep it soft and stop the cracking. Most people I talk to
say amor all will NOT work but for some reason cause it to rot faster.
Other people I spoke with said to use hair spray or even apply peanut
butter (I seen this on a website).

What is the best chemical substance that can be applied to the poly-
foam suspension or surround that will protect it and keep it from
rotting? I would like to know something that really works and will not
harm the foam.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
[...]

You can buy stuff to treat them with from Simplyspeakers.com.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
J. Porter Clark J. Porter Clark is offline

Eeyore writes:

What kills the foam seems mainly to be exposure to UV light and ozone.

So if you avoid living near the seaside and mountainous regions and install your
hi-fi in a darkened room you may avoid this problem.

I'm sure that UV light and ozone wouldn't help the surrounds,
or any other part of the speaker, but I've had foam rot in
windowless rooms that don't have any sources of ozone in them.

I think that the foam, over time, simply decomposes back
into the chemicals from which it was made, much like most
polyurethane-based materials.

--
J. Porter Clark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dlzc dlzc is offline

Dear J. Porter Clark:

On Nov 16, 9:06 am, (J. Porter Clark) wrote:
Eeyore writes:
What kills the foam seems mainly to be exposure to
UV light and ozone. So if you avoid living near the
seaside and mountainous regions and install your
hi-fi in a darkened room you may avoid this problem.

I'm sure that UV light and ozone wouldn't help the
surrounds, or any other part of the speaker, but I've
had foam rot in windowless rooms that don't have any
sources of ozone in them.

I think that the foam, over time, simply decomposes
back into the chemicals from which it was made, much
like most polyurethane-based materials.

If you have electric appliances, or even fan powered air movers, you
are making some ozone. Also ozone is made by the natural background
radiation that is part of all our lives, to say nothing of that
produced by sunlight+NOx+VOC.

You can place polyurethane or any other compound in an enclosure
purged with pure nitrogen, it will have its life extended five times
or more. Unfortunately such a purging system provides a significant
health hazard.
http://www.safety.ed.ac.uk/resources.../confined.shtm

But polymer systems also do not have an infinite fatigue life, and
will also fail based on the number of cycles they are put through, and
the amplitude of those cycles.

David A. Smith
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

[...]

I have read several suggestions. Haven't tried any of them myself.

The breakdown mechanism for the foam is usually said to be oxidation
damage due e.g. to ozone exposure. That, I believe, is the rationale
behind using products such as Armor-All. I haven't read reports that
Armor-All would actually damage the foam faster, but since Armor All
is reported to be incompatible with some materials (e.g. polycarbonate
plastic, per the "put Armor-All on your CDs for better sound" debacle
some years ago) it certainly makes sense to be cautious.

I've read a report that indicates that foam "rot" is often just that -
a biological rot due to a fungus of some sort which actually digests
the foam. This report suggested that the application of some sort of
anti-fungal compound to the foam could help extend its lifetime. The
report suggested using one of the over-the-counter antifungals sold as
an athlete's-foot remedy, but I don't remember the specific active
ingredient recommended. One of the products which consist of
tolnaftate in a talcum-powder base would probably be safe enough to
use, although I don't know if it'd be effective. Some of these
products used to use undecylanic acid (undecylanates were/are often
used as industrial antifungals) in an alcohol carrier, but these seem
to have gone out of favor in the market (possibly due to their odor).

Some people have tried to protect/stabilize the surface of the foam by
brushing on a thin layer of silicone sealant. This would probably
change the compliance of the surround to some extent - I don't know if
it would be enough to affect the driver's performance significantly.
If I were to try this I'd use only a non-acid-bearing "neutral cure"
silicone adhesive/sealant, such as those sold for electronics use or
those sold as "metal safe" (they're more expensive than the vinegar-
smelling acetic-acid-cure variety).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie Kevin McMurtrie is offline

In article ,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

[...]

There are different kinds of foam and they'll fail for different
reasons. The cones eventually get soft spots and sound bad too.

I don't worry about it too much. Getting new speakers every decade is a
nice change. If you calculate the cost of speakers over 12 years, a
$2000 set is under $14 a month.

If your speakers are dying early from ozone, GET RID OF THE OZONE!
Ground-level ozone destroys everything - clothing, paper, appliances,
and life. It's not good to have it in your home.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

I know of people who have tried all kinds of remedies against foam rot. In
the end, non of them worked. I spoke to a speaker rebuilder, and he told me
that this is a common problem in the industry. He was not aware of any
remedy that works. He told me that if the customer tampers with the foam,
they will loose the warranty that he gives after doing a rebuild.

I just recently had my speakers rebuilt. They lasted about 8 years before
their foam rotted out.

--

JANA
_____

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
g g is offline

In article , (Dave Platt) wrote:
[...]

The temporary effect of acid will not harm it. The compliance should change a bit,
but not enough to matter. I have done it on many drivers. There is some additional weight
along with some stiffining. Alcohol can be used to smooth
the silicone after the silicone is applied. do not apply alcohol directly
to the foam. Whether the silicon actually protects is questionable, but
even if all the foam rots, the silicone is there to continue opperation.
Sometimes I have treated both sides. I also have used Airflex 400, but
it does stiffen the foam a lot more.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

wrote in message
What is the best chemical substance that can be applied to the poly-
foam suspension or surround that will protect it and keep it from
rotting? I would like to know something that really works and will not
harm the foam.

The experts swear that rancid bear grease is really the only thing that
works. The foolproof method of application is to smear all the surfaces of
the loudspeaker, both inside and out. Possible side effects include
significant degredation of the sound but those perfectly preserved foam
surrounds will be on display in some future version of the Smithsonian
anthropology museum millenia after armageddon.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TBerk TBerk is offline

Here is what I have learned on the matter:

- Putting Armour All on plastic type substances causes the
'plasticizers' in the material to leach out, causing the brittle
component(s) remaining to crack during use and thermal expansion
(Think dashboards in the hot sun). From what I understand it is mostly
the silicon in the mix that is the problem.

- Foam surround can be replaced and if the speakers are worth it they
should be refitted.

(I am currently playing around with replacing the old foam in some
Advents from the 70s w/ rubber surrounds. It'll change the sound
somewhat I'm sure but if they live again vs heading for the junk pile
i saved them from then it's OK.)

So- replace old, worn surrounds & don't use silicon based products.

TBerk

Speaker foam surround HiFiGuy Tech 9 March 5th 07 06:52 PM
speaker re-foam Dave Tech 2 March 14th 06 07:40 PM
Foam or replacement speaker? Ron Tech 6 February 2nd 06 01:39 AM
FS: AR-94s Speaker System - new foam Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 May 28th 04 10:40 PM
repairing foam speaker surrounds Dan Car Audio 1 August 29th 03 04:56 PM