Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,rec.audio.tech
RichD RichD is offline

Default custom earphones

Anybody have recommendations for custom
fitted earphones, or opinions on this article?

http://tinyurl.com/WSJ-earphones
(called heaphones there)

It's news to me -

--
Rich
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,rec.audio.tech
miso miso is offline

On 8/14/2012 1:25 PM, RichD wrote:
Anybody have recommendations for custom
fitted earphones, or opinions on this article?

http://tinyurl.com/WSJ-earphones
(called heaphones there)

It's news to me -

--
Rich

Funny how Etymotic was considered the ultimate until (I presume) their
patent ran out. Etymotic makes good stuff. I would start there. You will
probably find the sound and isolation sufficient enough.

A few years ago I got to evaluate the entire Etymotic line. [They had
some scheme where they could replace the soft part on the fly so you
didn't share ear wax with the previous tester.] The difference from the
bottom of the line to the top was very small. At least in casual
testing. I suppose if I got to have them on loan for a few months I
might think differently.

Note that Etymotics and I presume the other brands come with filters to
keep the ear wax off the driver. [If they don't, then don't buy one.]
You will eventually have to replace the filter since it gets coated with
ear wax.

The Etymotic fit is solid. It has several soft fingers that form seals
with the ear canal. I presume the molded drivers are more comfortable,
but not necessarily better sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,rec.audio.tech
Neon John Neon John is offline

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:25:56 -0700 (PDT), RichD
wrote:

Anybody have recommendations for custom
fitted earphones, or opinions on this article?

I've had a set of Etymotics for 7 or 8 years now and love them. I had
a local audiologist make custom ear molds to fit my ears.

The sound is wonderful and the sound isolation outstanding. Very nice
to be able to listen to music or an audio book while mowing the grass
or running a chain saw.

I also use them at the shooting range. I usually put a set of muffs
on too, for added protection. Nice to have some nice calming music to
help focus on the target and remove outside distractions.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Earphones newbie Audio Opinions 7 November 10th 09 11:47 PM
earphones Damir Stiglic Tech 5 November 28th 06 10:56 AM
Sennheiser earphones: dB 1V RMS vs others SPL dB mW ? John Hall Tech 11 August 23rd 06 05:42 AM
Custom Earphones for IPOD or Walkman Listening? [email protected] Tech 0 August 14th 06 02:43 PM
How to connect earphones Phil Balder Vacuum Tubes 7 November 23rd 03 12:29 AM