Siddhartha Jain

Default 12v regulated supply with brownout protection

Hi,

I have this Vosonic VP300 HDD based Mp3 player. Now, I can get a DC-DC
adapter that will regulate the power supply to prevent it from going
above 12v. These are cheap - approx. $20 or so. Right?

But I am worried about brownouts. What if the voltage drops suddenly
because of some reason? Will the regulator cut off the power supply
below a threshold or will it simply supply low voltage and damage the
player?

Whats a good solution for conditioned supply of 12v in the car?
Thanks,

Siddhartha

MZ

Hi,

I have this Vosonic VP300 HDD based Mp3 player. Now, I can get a DC-DC
adapter that will regulate the power supply to prevent it from going
above 12v. These are cheap - approx. $20 or so. Right?

But I am worried about brownouts. What if the voltage drops suddenly
because of some reason? Will the regulator cut off the power supply
below a threshold or will it simply supply low voltage and damage the
player?

Whats a good solution for conditioned supply of 12v in the car?
Thanks,

Siddhartha

You could diode isolate the device and install a capacitor. But first you
need to know if the diode drop will be too excessive for your application.
So you need to know your electrical system's voltage with the car on, and
the minimum input voltage your regulator wants.