HiRolliN HiRolliN is offline
Junior Member

Default want to build a subwoofer box.

whats a good website were i can get ideas/dimensions on how to build a subwoofer box?

im going to get a pair of 12inch alpine type r subwoofers for christmas and wanted to build a custome box for my 1998 chevy prizim. im going to be powering the subs with a legacy 3000 watt mono amplifier.

Last edited by HiRolliN : December 17th 04 at 02:33 AM Reason: left something out

HiRolliN HiRolliN is offline
Junior Member

that was the first place i looked, but i was unable to find anything.

i also emailed them, but they never replyed.
jeffc

"HiRolliN" wrote in message

whats a good website were i can get ideas/dimensions on how to build a
subwoofer box?

You can't use generic measurements. To optimize, you have to use the
specifications given for your woofers. If Alpine won't answer, you'll have
to find the manuals for them, or find them on the web.

Daniel Snooks

HiRolliN wrote

that was the first place i looked, but i was unable to find anything.

Well that is interesting ... I found this on Alpine's website :

SWR-1221D/SWR-1241D - recommended sealed box volume 0.7 - 1.0 cuft

i also emailed them, but they never replyed.

Maybe you should go with a company that does reply to your email? BTW ...
how long have you given them to reply (should allow at least 2 business
days)

Dan

HiRolliN HiRolliN is offline
Junior Member

thanks Daniel Snooks, i emailed them at the begging of this month because i wanted to make the box before i got the woofers.

also how would i go about getting the measurements for the pieces of wood i need to cut from the cubic feet measurement.
Daniel Snooks

1 cubic foot is equal to 1728 cubic inches (12 x 12 x 12)

If that makes sense, then you have a chance of building the box yourself ...
if not, I would recommend having a box built for you.

The simplest solution would be to build the box 1 foot wide, 1 foot tall and
1 foot deep (measurements are to the INSIDE edges of the box)

Dan

"HiRolliN" wrote in message

thanks Daniel Snooks, i emailed them at the begging of this month
because i wanted to make the box before i got the woofers.

also how would i go about getting the measurements for the pieces of
wood i need to cut from the cubic feet measurement.

--
HiRolliN

Buckshot

Daniel is totaly right in his logic, BUT, the magnet and basket of the
driver take up airspace in the box too, which reduce the airspace
indside. You asked about wood, use 3/4 (.75) inch MDF, NOTHING ELSE. As
for cutting and all that, I'm assuming you know basic woodworking, but
its pretty essential to have straight evenly cut edges and corners if
you want a nice looking box for a final result.
When you assemble your box, I suggest using either liquid Nails, or
Silicone on ALL the edges so that it doesn't leak. Another good point
to making your box is getting the speaker wire to the subs. You can go
to radio shack or somewhere of the sort and buy terminals that you plug
speaker wire into, but they tend to leak, which you don't want. Just
drill a hole in the side or back of the box and then stick the wires
through and silicone it so it is sealed.
To finsih your box you can go to your local caraudio shop and get some
carpet to match your intereior carpet, or find some from a store you
know of locally or online. Get some industrial strenght adhesive, and
stick the carpet on the box, take your time, and make it look good
because this is what will set your system apart from your friends.
Things to consider while making/finishing your box:
* Will you be throwing cargo/gear around where the subs will be - If so
think about investing in some heavy duty speaker grills.
* The terminals to hook the wire to the box, if you want it easy, like I
already said drill a hole and seal it with silicone or liquid nails.
* For box dimensions you have to know what overall space your working
with, so measure the space you have, then make plans up from that.

IF you need any help, take a few pictures of where these subs,
enclosure, and amp will be going, label it with some dimensions and I'll
help draw you up some plans. Email me at the address in my signature.

Most of all good luck man, don't give up if it doesn't work out
perfectly the first time around. Keep trying and learn from your mistakes.

-Buckshot-

2 12" Sony Explodes
Custon Dual 12 Sealed enclosure
JL VR 6.5's Up front
Pioneer 6x9's Out back
Eclipse EA2122
Legacy La1080

E-mail me at Jasonc87(atter)Comcast(dot)Net

"HiRolliN" wrote in message

thanks Daniel Snooks, i emailed them at the begging of this month
because i wanted to make the box before i got the woofers.

also how would i go about getting the measurements for the pieces of
wood i need to cut from the cubic feet measurement.

--
HiRolliN

jeffc

"Buckshot" Buckshot0687@AIM wrote in message
news
Daniel is totaly right in his logic, BUT, the magnet and basket of the
driver take up airspace in the box too, which reduce the airspace
indside.

Buckshot, all excellent advice which I second. But, I'm not sure about this
part - I think the manufacturers take this into account when they give
optimal enclosure sizes, don't they?

Daniel Snooks

Buckshot wrote
Daniel is totaly right in his logic, BUT, the magnet and basket of the
driver take up airspace in the box too, which reduce the airspace indside.

Heh ... I know it looks like I suggested making a box without considering
the displacement of the driver, but in fact I did take that into account.
Note that the recommended volume is 0.7 - 1.0 cuft. If the gross volume is 1
cuft, the net will be larger then 0.7 (given that driver). As my reply
stressed ... this is the SIMPLEST solution, not necessarily the best
solution.

Nice to see that people are keeping tabs on these things :-)

Dan