Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Opinions on MartinLogan Preface

Audio Advisor has a sale on the MartinLogan Preface speakers. I am
considering replacing my 20 plus year old DBX Soundfield One speakers.
How do these stack up?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 2 May 2010 10:55:43 -0700, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

Audio Advisor has a sale on the MartinLogan Preface speakers. I am
considering replacing my 20 plus year old DBX Soundfield One speakers.
How do these stack up?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Never heard them but my local M-L dealer doesn't carry them. He told me that
they are mediocre for the price and that there are much better speakers
available in that price range. Of course, at the time, he was speaking list
price ($800 each) perhaps at AA's sale price of $499, he'd be kinder in his
criticisms. But you have to ask this question: Why is M-L allowing AA to sell
these things with such a deep discount? Discontinued, maybe?

If you want M-Ls spring for the Sources. I KNOW they sound good!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

I have ReQuests - I got some smaller ML speakers first (aerius, I think) but
returned them as sounding just horrible - so I would say based on that
experience that "it depends" and you need to listen to them and compare -
the good ones have nice clarity and sound good, but some sound thin and
tinny - I compared the ReQuests to the bigger ML speakers whose name escapes
me (but they cost about twice as much) - the bigger speakers also did NOT
sound better, they sounded worse.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Audio Advisor has a sale on the MartinLogan Preface speakers. I am
considering replacing my 20 plus year old DBX Soundfield One speakers.
How do these stack up?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:27:50 -0700, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Audio Advisor has a sale on the MartinLogan Preface speakers. I am
considering replacing my 20 plus year old DBX Soundfield One speakers.
How do these stack up?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I have heard the "Preface" and I'm not impressed. M-L calls them "near
electrostatic performance" I call them "Near Misses". They aren't awful, but
they're nothing special either. I found the quasi-ribbon "ATF" tweeter to be
beamy with a slightly sizzle-y top end. Here's the deal. They're nothing to
crow about and at Audio Advisor's price of $500 each. I think you can do a
lot better for a lot less. I would give the Magnepan MMGs at $600/pair a go
before I would spend a fast $1K on a pair of Preface speakers. First of all,
the MMGs sound SUPERB (I've a friend with a pair in his den. I've heard them
numerous times. I think they're better in every way than his recently
factory rebuilt Tympani 1Ds that he has in his living room! Secondly,
Magnepan gives you a 60-day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. MMGs are
not sold through dealers you have to order them from the factory directly.
But, then, you have to order the Preface from AA as well. Of course, AA gives
a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try either with minimum risk. OTOH,
if there's an M-L dealer in your area,, you might try ringing them up and
asking if they have a pair on hand that you could audition. Then again, I
would ask myself this question: Why is AA giving such a deep discount to a
current M-L product? They don't discount the Vistas or the Vantages (which
they also sell). Makes one think.....

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Thank you for all the responses in particular the recommendation of the
MMG speakers. My room is very large - 22 X 30 with an 18 foot cathedral
ceiling. Would the MMG (in conjunction with several sub woofers) be
large enough to fill a room that large?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:10:52 -0700, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

Thank you for all the responses in particular the recommendation of the
MMG speakers. My room is very large - 22 X 30 with an 18 foot cathedral
ceiling. Would the MMG (in conjunction with several sub woofers) be
large enough to fill a room that large?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Possibly. It's hard to say. Why don't you call or e-mail Magnepan and ask
their technical department? They'd be in a better position to tell you that
than I would. I've only heard them in a 12 X 14 den/home office. They were
certainly (more than) loud enough there.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

Thank you for all the responses in particular the
recommendation of the MMG speakers. My room is very
large - 22 X 30 with an 18 foot cathedral ceiling. Would
the MMG (in conjunction with several sub woofers) be
large enough to fill a room that large?

Depends on how loud you want things to be.

BBE - opinions? Dirk Bruere at Neopax Pro Audio 10 December 4th 05 10:45 PM
Opinions Please! Himm Audio Opinions 3 March 22nd 05 02:07 PM
MXL 993 mic opinions Darrell Klein Pro Audio 0 September 10th 04 03:02 AM
Lou Reed on Lou Reed played on Bose, Infinity, Klipsch, B&W, and MartinLogan speakers GRL High End Audio 4 June 16th 04 11:36 PM
Opinions on Sub fr335tyl3r Car Audio 2 January 3rd 04 02:25 AM