Posted to rec.audio.pro
DW DW is offline

Default Pitch/Speed change question...

Hi there

I have a full song track that I would like to speed up (and raise in pitch).
By speed up, I mean only by 1/4 to 1/2 a semitone pitch-wise, so not much
really.

I don't have to maintain the track's length or anything, just a simple
speeding up. I've been using Nuendo's resample command. Is there a better
way to do this? This seemed like the most direct way to me. The problem
is... does this method pose any issues of which I am not aware? Can this
mess up the sound in ways other than the obvious (speed/pitch)? Thanks.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Satz David Satz is offline

I have a full song track that I would like to speed up (and raise in pitch).
By speed up, I mean only by 1/4 to 1/2 a semitone pitch-wise, so not much
really.

I don't have to maintain the track's length or anything, just a simple
speeding up. I've been using Nuendo's resample command. Is there a better
way to do this? This seemed like the most direct way to me.

As long as you're changing pitch and speed in tandem (which you are),
and only by some relatively small amount, resampling shouldn't cause
audible problems.

The ugly sounds occur if you want to change pitch without changing
speed or vice versa, especially when large changes are involved. But
half a semitone is only about 2.93%, while one-quarter semitone is only
about 1.455% (based on the 24th and 48th roots of 2.0 respectively).

--best regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

I don't have to maintain the track's length or anything, just a
simple
speeding up. I've been using Nuendo's resample command. Is there a
better
way to do this? This seemed like the most direct way to me. The
problem
is... does this method pose any issues of which I am not aware? Can
this
mess up the sound in ways other than the obvious (speed/pitch)?

The freeware SoundHack can do this pretty well. The not-free ware PEAK
also has a DSP algorithm to do this. You can change pitch or duration &
you just have to remember to uncheck the "Maintain Pitch" or "Maintain
Duration" buttons. Sounds like your DAW already has these built in.
With any sort of resampling process you have to listen to the result &
if it gets too grainy or artifacty, back off the amount until you can
stand it or use a different application to get there, because they all
sound slightly different.

Scott Fraser