Elliottmoore2

Default Legal question

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I will
be recording a CD next year and have found a guitarist in my town to do all of
the guitar tracks. What is the common practice in paying him, hourly? Flat
rate? Also, do I owe him any money after the CD is finished and sell it? Does
he get a percentage of every CD sold? If this question has been asked before I
apologize, I am fairly new to this group. Thanks, Elliott
John Noll

Elliottmoore2 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I will
be recording a CD next year and have found a guitarist in my town to do all of
the guitar tracks. What is the common practice in paying him, hourly? Flat
rate? Also, do I owe him any money after the CD is finished and sell it? Does
he get a percentage of every CD sold? If this question has been asked before I
apologize, I am fairly new to this group. Thanks, Elliott

Negotiate a form of payment. Could be hourly, flat rate, per song,
whatever. Pay with a check. Have him/her sign a "Work for Hire"
agreement stating that he/she has been paid for the work and this
payment will be the sole compensation for the musical ideas &
contributions added to the track. Pay & sign at the end of the session.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-842-3853 Fax: 732-842-5631

http://www.retromedia.net

Dave Martin

"John Noll" wrote in message

Negotiate a form of payment. Could be hourly, flat rate, per song,
whatever. Pay with a check. Have him/her sign a "Work for Hire"
agreement stating that he/she has been paid for the work and this
payment will be the sole compensation for the musical ideas &
contributions added to the track. Pay & sign at the end of the session.

You know, in 30 years of playing on records, I've only been asked to sign a
'work for hire' agreement by two people, neither of whom work in the music
industry (their lawyers said that it was a good idea...). Do you folks pass
those things out on a regular basis?

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Elliottmoore2" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I will
be recording a CD next year and have found a guitarist in my town to do all of
the guitar tracks. What is the common practice in paying him, hourly? Flat
rate? Also, do I owe him any money after the CD is finished and sell it? Does
he get a percentage of every CD sold? If this question has been asked before I
apologize, I am fairly new to this group. Thanks, Elliott

Most session work done by hired guns is considered a "work for hire". Pay
a flat fee, one time. It's certainly the least troublesome approach.

However, if the player has a 'name' and would add sale-ability to the product,
I probably wouldn't hesitate too long to enter a legal agreement and get him
in on some future returns (if his rate didn't kill you already).

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com