S888Wheel

Default Cables

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 5/19/2004 9:41 AM Pacific Standard Time

On 18 May 2004 23:28:42 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

news:Jwqqc.21372$qA.2422963@attbi_s51...
On 17 May 2004 23:02:47 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

news:Hc5qc.68156$z06.9029126@attbi_s01...

I have no idea. All I know is that I am CERTAIN that SOME CD's

revealed less hiss.

Your certainty is noted - indeed it is becoming legendary! OTOH, there
is no possible mechanism by which this can have occurred in the real
physical world.

That you are aware of.

I am very well aware of how CDs are read, and green pens are simply
not capable of affecting this. This ain't rocket science!

No, it's optical science. Light moves in strange ways.

No, it moves in *extremely* predictable ways, nothing at all strange
about it. Indeed, much of Einsteinian physics is based on very precise
observations of light doing highly predictable things.

I think it is fair to say it moves in strange ways that are predictable. Do you
not find quantum effects wave interference patterns forming even when photons
are released individually with the double slit barrier to be at least a little
bit strange? Did you not find it a little bit strange the simply by monitoring
the slits without impeding the path of the photons that the wave interference
patterns would break down?

At the very
small size of red wavelengths, there are certainly possibilities that
you know nothing about.

Firstly, a CD replay laser is not red, it's in the near infra-red.

What is near infra red? I say it's red.
Unless we are talking about wave lengths that are longer than infra red. But we
are not are we? Is there another color between red and infra red? I don't know
of one.

Secondly, these are very *long* light wavelengths, 780 nanometres to
be exact, and there are no 'possibilities' involved here, just a
simple matter of phase detection by 1/4 wavelength pit depth
variation. This is a tried and tested principle which is used
precisely *because* it is not subject to problems caused by variations
in light amplitude or scatter. In fact, the reflected light from the
edge of the disc would have to be *at least* 30% of the amplitude of
the incident beam to have any effect, and that is clearly well beyond
possibility, since it's doubtful if total scatter from all sources
comes even to 1%, never mind what tiny fraction of a percent could
find its way to the edge of the disc and back.

Alan Murphy

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Steven Sullivan wrote in message

Bromo wrote:
On 5/13/04 3:06 PM, in article BGPoc.42335$z06.6207688@attbi_s01,

"chung"
wrote:

You are not answering my question. You said that some things can

never
be proven. My question was, and is, do you believe that we can ever
prove that magic green CD markers make a difference.

Sure you can! Next time you use them, you will be able to prove that

they
make the edge of your CD turn GREEN!

Seriously, though, the right question would be WHAT KIND of

difference would
they make, and how could one measure it?

The right quesiton is , what sort of evidence would you accept as
proof that green makers do NOT make an audible difference?

Oscilloscope traces of pre- and post-treated discs.

You complicate the issue. We are talking about digital text
files here and they can be compared very easily for differences.

Alan.

Alan Murphy

"S888Wheel" wrote in message news:8CMqc.116679
What is near infra red? I say it's red.
Unless we are talking about wave lengths that are longer than infra red.

But we
are not are we? Is there another color between red and infra red? I don't

know
of one.

"The Rays are not Coloured". Newton's, "Opticks".

The visual system, except in very special situations, perceives
nothing beyond 700nm.

It would be very interesting to explore the differences between
perception and measurements in the visual and aural fields.

Alan

Michael Scarpitti

"Alan Murphy" wrote in message news:ltPqc.35241$6f5.3535603@attbi_s54...

Oscilloscope traces of pre- and post-treated discs.

You complicate the issue. We are talking about digital text
files here and they can be compared very easily for differences.

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and post-treated discs.

Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 5/19/2004 9:41 AM Pacific Standard Time

On 18 May 2004 23:28:42 GMT,
(Michael

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

I find it charming, not strange, and wavicles is fun! Seriously
though, the gross effects at CD-reading intensities are totally
predictable, despite the interesting things that happen at the
single-photon level.

At the very
small size of red wavelengths, there are certainly possibilities that
you know nothing about.

Firstly, a CD replay laser is not red, it's in the near infra-red.

What is near infra red? I say it's red.

Near infra-red is *just* outside the range of human perception - as
opposed to far infra-red, which is only perceived as heat. Infra-red
covers several decades! 780nm is right on the limit of human
perception, which is defined as the band from 700 to 780nm in all the
standard texts, so I won't argue excessively on this point.

Unless we are talking about wave lengths that are longer than infra red. But we
are not are we? Is there another color between red and infra red? I don't know
of one.

Near and far infra-red are commonly used terms. The ESA Infra-red
Space Observatory (ISO), for instance, operates from 2.5 to 240
microns wavelengths, all of which are counted as infra-red, but the
shortest of which is 3 times longer than CD laser light.

Michael Scarpitti

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:Dd4rc.85435$xw3.4772183@attbi_s04...

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and post-treated discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 5/20/2004 8:33 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:14:44 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 5/19/2004 9:41 AM Pacific Standard Time

On 18 May 2004 23:28:42 GMT,
(Michael

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

we are all free to choose our adjectives. heck some top physicists have used
the word "spooky" to describe it. I certainly hope there was no
misunderstanding that i might be impying that such behavior had anything to do
with the debate over green pens. IMO it is easily resolved even for those who
don't know the inner workings of the mechanism by the very data comparison that
you and others suggest. If the data is the same from the output of the machine
the pen cannot be affecting the sound.

--

Yes Mr. Chung pointed that out as well. 'Near" is an unfortunate word for a
layman such as myself. I took it literally and saw no reason not to. My

Bruce Abrams

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and post-treated

discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

Take two otherwise identical CDs and apply the green marker to one. Then
rip them both to WAV files. Since the green pen treatment can only possibly
work in the digital domain, any differences between the two CDs would have
to show up as differences in the ripped WAV files which would be compared
using a simple file compare function.
Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message ...
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and post-treated

discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

Take two otherwise identical CDs and apply the green marker to one. Then
rip them both to WAV files. Since the green pen treatment can only possibly
work in the digital domain, any differences between the two CDs would have
to show up as differences in the ripped WAV files which would be compared
using a simple file compare function.

Yes, that's what I had in mind by the oscillsocope idea.

Steven Sullivan

Bruce Abrams wrote:
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and post-treated

discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

Take two otherwise identical CDs and apply the green marker to one. Then
rip them both to WAV files.

Better yet, rip the CD before and after applying the pen.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

normanstrong

Bruce Abrams wrote:
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and

post-treated
discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file

compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

Take two otherwise identical CDs and apply the green marker to

one. Then
rip them both to WAV files.

Better yet, rip the CD before and after applying the pen.

Even better than that, rip the same CD twice and see if you get
identical .wav files.

Norm Strong

Bruce Abrams

Bruce Abrams wrote in message

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

Oscilloscope traces of the playback signals of pre- and

post-treated
discs.

That is a *much* less sensitive test than a digital file compare.

How would such a file comparison work?

Take two otherwise identical CDs and apply the green marker to one.

Then
rip them both to WAV files. Since the green pen treatment can only

possibly
work in the digital domain, any differences between the two CDs would

have
to show up as differences in the ripped WAV files which would be

compared
using a simple file compare function.

Yes, that's what I had in mind by the oscillsocope idea.

This is certainly easy enough to do and I'll be glad to do exactly this
experiement. (I'll even do the control of ripping the same disk twice
before treatment to verify the accuracy of the data.) I just want to make
that you agree that if the pre and post treatment WAVs were identical, then
the green pen had exactly no effect. Is this correct?

Gene Poon

Bruce Abrams wrote:

This is certainly easy enough to do and I'll be glad to do exactly this
experiement. (I'll even do the control of ripping the same disk twice
before treatment to verify the accuracy of the data.) I just want to make
that you agree that if the pre and post treatment WAVs were identical, then
the green pen had exactly no effect. Is this correct?

=====================

NOT to take one side or the other on the "green pen" issue, but the
response from the pro-green-pen camp may be that the green pen had no
effect on THIS disc, but might on another. How about the best three out
of five? The best eleven out of twenty?

-GP
Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:vO5sc.27253$zw.25957@attbi_s01...
[...]

In this case, of course. But several trials with different discs are in order...

Si

"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message

This is certainly easy enough to do and I'll be glad to do exactly this
experiement. (I'll even do the control of ripping the same disk twice
before treatment to verify the accuracy of the data.) I just want to make
that you agree that if the pre and post treatment WAVs were identical,

then
the green pen had exactly no effect. Is this correct?

I should probably say at the outset that I don't believe in the green pen
thing at all, and I find the whole idea quite ludicrous However, am I
correct in thinking that this test won't really be conclusive since when
ripping a CD to wav, it doesn't have to be done in real time? I mean, when
ripping, can the drive go back and re-read parts of the disc if necessary to
ensure no errors? I assume it can (I've never ripped a CD to wav, so I don't
know).

You'll pardon my ultra-technical language :-)

Si

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:46:40 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Before we get to the obvious point that however many are tried, you
will still say "ah, but if you had only tried *this* disc", why don't
*you* specify some discs that *you* believe made a difference?

Steven Sullivan

Si wrote:
"Bruce Abrams" wrote in message

This is certainly easy enough to do and I'll be glad to do exactly this
experiement. (I'll even do the control of ripping the same disk twice
before treatment to verify the accuracy of the data.) I just want to make
that you agree that if the pre and post treatment WAVs were identical,

then
the green pen had exactly no effect. Is this correct?

I should probably say at the outset that I don't believe in the green pen
thing at all, and I find the whole idea quite ludicrous However, am I
correct in thinking that this test won't really be conclusive since when
ripping a CD to wav, it doesn't have to be done in real time? I mean, when
ripping, can the drive go back and re-read parts of the disc if necessary to
ensure no errors?

Yes. Using Exact Audio Copy at highest security setting will do exactly that.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Michael Scarpitti

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

British pressings of David Sylvian, in a set called the 'Weatherbox'.

Bruce Abrams

"Si" wrote in message
[...]

It's my understanding that virtually all CD players have a read ahead buffer
to ensure they are capable of doing the same thing.

You'll pardon my ultra-technical language :-)

Consider yourself pardoned ;-)

Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*
Before we get to the obvious point that however many are tried, you
will still say "ah, but if you had only tried *this* disc", why don't
*you* specify some discs that *you* believe made a difference?

British pressings of David Sylvian, in a set called the 'Weatherbox'.

If you'd like to furnish said CD (which I'll return), I'll be glad to
perform the above described test and furnish the results to all.
Dick Pierce

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:P6xsc.109408$536.19487101@attbi_s03...
[...]

Because of the Reed-Solomon interleaved coding, which, in essence, takes
a contiguous block of sample data and scatters it about the disk, to
read the data back, ALL CD players MUST read an entire block into a
buffer and "unscatter" it back into the correct order. Thus, strictly
speaking, there is no such thing as a CD with real-time playback. Besides
the in-place robust data recovery this scheme provides, it also means
that data read rate is no no longer tightly coupled to the required
audio conversion rate. The player mechanism reads a block into a buffer,
then hands that buffer over to the deinterleave and error correction
algorithm while it goes and reads the next buffer. The two happen in
parallel. The read mechanism adjusts the spin rate of the disk only so
that the AVERAGE read rate matches the playback rate.

Now, here's a dilemma for the green-pen buffs: elsewhere it is claimed
that these sorts of differences are only audible on the finest of
equipment, and that it is more apparent on the best (sometimes meant most
expensive) CD transports and DACs. Lesser equipment just doesn't have the
"resolution" to reveal the subtleties.

But, from actual knowledge of the CD player mechanism, we find that
if it DOES make a difference, there is something WRONG with the playback
system. It was either designed inproperly, because the read mechanism
is SUPPOSED to be separate from the decode and conversion mechanism,
or it's just plain broken.

That suggests, as one possible explanation, that these highly touted
high-end players are, in fact, suffering from either defective design
or operation. Zut alors! can it be so?

Well, in several cases I have personally investigated, it is, indeed,
so. Examples include very expensive DACS, highly regarded in the high-
end realm as being very "revealing" that suffer VERY bad jitter
susceptibility simply because of out-and-out incompetent design. Player
mechanisms that imporoerly implement the S/P-DIF output driver making
them vulnerable to capacitive loads, dismal mixed-signal layout design
allowing signals from one domain to corrupt signals from the other,
belt-driven CD players with heavy platters that can't get out of their
own way and struggle mightly to try to keep up with the output buffering,
undershooting and overshooting their speed targets because of preposterously
high mechanical inertia and poor servo control.

Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message ...
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*
Before we get to the obvious point that however many are tried, you
will still say "ah, but if you had only tried *this* disc", why don't
*you* specify some discs that *you* believe made a difference?

British pressings of David Sylvian, in a set called the 'Weatherbox'.

If you'd like to furnish said CD (which I'll return), I'll be glad to
perform the above described test and furnish the results to all.

Uhhh.....I already did it, about 8 years ago, and I don't have a
duplicate set. The British pressings sounded different from the US
versions. Just get two copies of 'Gone to Earth', Brit pressings, and
that should work.

Since YOU are the one who wants to prove something....

Glenn Garza

"Bromo" wrote in message
On 5/16/04 8:07 PM, in article , "GRL"
wrote:

I think you're right. I mean who doesn't want garden-hose thickness

speaker
wire going from their super amp to their super speakers? Unfortunately,

the
garden-hose thickness wire can cost as much as a good amp. Fortunately,

have hit on a sensible and economical solution that provides esthetic

chic,
excellent performance, and reasonable cost. I use 12 ga. speaker wire

from
Lowe's and run it through a length of 1/2" garden hose. (I find the
braided-look green style works best.) Cost me about $10. Works great.
Thinking about contacting a garden hose company about having them make

up a
run of the hose with a ground wire (oxygen free copper) running through

it
and selling into the audiophile market.

I think if I price it high enough (not too high, though, I have some
scruples) and place some ads, those guys at STEREOPHILE will come

through
with a favorable review.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good busness plan - good luck to you.

I think a lot of the interconnect malarchy has a lot to do with the
speakers, length of wire and the output impedance of the amplifiers in
question. I have spent countless hours in the lab designing RF amplifiers
changing impedances by 0.5 Ohms or less and seeing a fairly substantial
change in output power, gain or so on. And while Audio amplifiers are
supposed to be more robist to this sort of tweaking - the loads are

entirely
arbitrary (speaker + cable) and I do wonder if there couldn't be an

effect.

Perhaps if you are open minded, you could get 3 of those zip cords, braid
them and take 3 hot leads and 3 grounds and see if you can sense any
difference on a recording you understand. Though if your speakers are not
good, it won't matter.

So many things have been said and written about the sound of all things
hi-end, including cables. From all amplifiers and cables sound the same to
they sound different...even, "little wooden disks stuck to the wall worked
wonders." Much of it is bologna. However, facts are facts whatever anyone
says. One fact is that switching out the MIT MI 750 Bi-wire speaker cables
in my system with Analysis Plus Oval 12 not only changes the sound, but the
entire characteristics of the system. Which if either is closer to right?
Well, that may very well be a subjective matter. Right now, I do not really
care why cables change the sound of my system, and I doubt most (but not
all) who argue about it know anything at all. When a verifiable reason for
differences is revealed, then I will care about why some cables sound
different. Maybe it is simply a matter of component quality and design, if a
cable can be thought of as part of a circuit.

Steven Sullivan

Glenn Garza wrote:

So many things have been said and written about the sound of all things
hi-end, including cables. From all amplifiers and cables sound the same to
they sound different...even, "little wooden disks stuck to the wall worked
wonders." Much of it is bologna. However, facts are facts whatever anyone
says. One fact is that switching out the MIT MI 750 Bi-wire speaker cables
in my system with Analysis Plus Oval 12 not only changes the sound, but the
entire characteristics of the system.

The fact is that the St. Louis Arch is higher than it is wide.

Oh, wait, actually, it only *looks* that way. In fact, the height
and width are found to be equal, when they are actually measured.

Perceptions aren't necessarily *correct*, you see. It's a fact that
you *believe* the switch you made changes the sound. Whether
it does, in fact, cause a change in sound, remains to be determined.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Bob Marcus

Glenn Garza wrote:

So many things have been said and written about the sound of all things
hi-end, including cables. From all amplifiers and cables sound the same

Actually, no one's ever said that.

they sound different...even, "little wooden disks stuck to the wall worked
wonders." Much of it is bologna. However, facts are facts whatever anyone
says.

Yes, and facts are such difficult things.

One fact is that switching out the MIT MI 750 Bi-wire speaker cables
in my system with Analysis Plus Oval 12 not only changes the sound, but the
entire characteristics of the system.

No, that's not a "fact." The fact here is that you *perceive* a change in
the sound of your system when you make this switch. Whether the switch
*actually* changes the performance of your system, or whether this is merely
a perceptual illusion on your part, is an open question.

Which if either is closer to right?
Well, that may very well be a subjective matter. Right now, I do not really
care why cables change the sound of my system,

Which is your prerogative.

and I doubt most (but not
all) who argue about it know anything at all.

Which may be true, but there are some people out there who DO know what
effect a cable has on a signal. You could learn something from them.

When a verifiable reason for
differences is revealed, then I will care about why some cables sound
different.

Why will you care then, if you don't care now?

Maybe it is simply a matter of component quality and design, if a
cable can be thought of as part of a circuit.

Well, jeez, can you think of a cable that way???

Look, no one's ever said that switching cables can't make a difference.
What's been said over and over again is that the performance of cables is
well understood, and that *if* a cable switch makes an audible difference,
it will be because of significant differences in the measurable
characteristics of the cable. Not knowing anything about the two cables you
have, I can't say whether they are different enough or not. But until you do
a blind comparison, you haven't any basis for making that determination
either.

Now, you may not want to bother with doing a blind comparison, and you may
be perfectly happy choosing between your two cables based on what they sound
like to you. As I said above, that's your prerogative. Just don't start
telling us about "facts" unless you've done the work to back them up. THAT'S
the bologna here.

bob

download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/
RBernst929

Why are you assuming his perceptions are "wrong"? You cannot "prove" or
"disprove" anyone's perceptions. Perceptions are in the eye (ear) of the
beholder. And just because the electrical engineers cannot measure any
difference in cables does NOT mean they cannot produce a perceptional change in
people that may even differ from person to person. But, everything in Life is
filtered through our perceptions. We cannot live without our perceptions since
that is HOW we interact with our world. So, who cares whether they measure the
same or not? They can STILL produce a perceptional difference. Otherwise, WHY
have different types of wire, different companies and different product lines?
Because even if they measure the same, they are all perceived as different by
different customers. If everyone agrees on the same perceptions, then there
would only be one cable, period. -Bob Bernstein.

Bromo

On 6/2/04 1:27 AM, in article Tydvc.30476$IB.17093@attbi_s04, "Glenn Garza"
wrote:

and I doubt most (but not
all) who argue about it know anything at all. When a verifiable reason for
differences is revealed, then I will care about why some cables sound
different. Maybe it is simply a matter of component quality and design, if a
cable can be thought of as part of a circuit.

So.... If you think you hear a difference, you will ignore it until someone
gives you an explanation?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:27:15 GMT, "Glenn Garza"
wrote:

So many things have been said and written about the sound of all things
hi-end, including cables. From all amplifiers and cables sound the same to
they sound different...even, "little wooden disks stuck to the wall worked
wonders." Much of it is bologna. However, facts are facts whatever anyone
says. One fact is that switching out the MIT MI 750 Bi-wire speaker cables
in my system with Analysis Plus Oval 12 not only changes the sound, but the
entire characteristics of the system. Which if either is closer to right?
Well, that may very well be a subjective matter. Right now, I do not really
care why cables change the sound of my system, and I doubt most (but not
all) who argue about it know anything at all. When a verifiable reason for
differences is revealed, then I will care about why some cables sound
different.

How about caring about whether they really *do* sound different,
before chasing the cause?

Maybe it is simply a matter of component quality and design, if a
cable can be thought of as part of a circuit.

Maybe it is simply inaudible.................

[...]

We have now done enough blind testing of amps and wire we need no longer
wonder if all the writing and speaking done has substance, and we have a
good insight as to the source of differences heard. The blind tests using
listening alone show results close to the same level as guessing would
produce. This strongly suggests that any difference is a product of the
perception process that occurs in the brain after the signal reaches the
ears. The differens so frequently written and spoken about absent
controled testing disappear when even simple blind is done, such as
putting a cloth over the wire connections so the active bit of gear is not
known. We are no longer slave to the "some think and write this or that
and some others think different things", we now have a listening alone
benchmark against which all reports can be evaluated. This includes the
report you make, do you think your experience is an exception to the
testing bemchmark? Isn't mit one of those wires with the network, in
which case the difference is because it is likely acting as an eq filter
on the signal by changing well known properties of rcl in an electrical
circuit. A tone control knob makes similar changes to sound.

normanstrong

wrote:

and I doubt most (but not
all) who argue about it know anything at all. When a verifiable

reason for
differences is revealed, then I will care about why some cables

sound
different. Maybe it is simply a matter of component quality and

design, if a
cable can be thought of as part of a circuit.

So.... If you think you hear a difference, you will ignore it until

someone
gives you an explanation?

If I hear a difference between 2 cables, and cannot think of any
technical reason why I should, my first step is to find out whether
the difference is there when I don't know which of the 2 cables is
actually in-circuit. If I can consistently tell which cable is in
use without extra-audio information, then I will turn up heaven and
earth to find out why. I'm just like that. So far, cable changes
have never survived the first test, so I haven't had to address the
technical issues.

Norm Strong

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:20:19 GMT, (RBernst929)
wrote:

Why are you assuming his perceptions are "wrong"? You cannot "prove" or
"disprove" anyone's perceptions. Perceptions are in the eye (ear) of the
beholder.

You can however prove if they have any existence in the real physical
world.

And just because the electrical engineers cannot measure any
difference in cables does NOT mean they cannot produce a perceptional change in
people that may even differ from person to person.

There are *always* easily measurable differences in cables. There are
however *no* instances of differences which are actually *audible*,
given a very basic level-matching to +/- 0.1dB.

But, everything in Life is
filtered through our perceptions. We cannot live without our perceptions since
that is HOW we interact with our world. So, who cares whether they measure the
same or not? They can STILL produce a perceptional difference.

No, they don't.

Otherwise, WHY
have different types of wire, different companies and different product lines?

It's called marketing.

Because even if they measure the same, they are all perceived as different by
different customers. If everyone agrees on the same perceptions, then there
would only be one cable, period. -Bob Bernstein.

If everyone *really* trusted their ears, then there would indeed be
only one cable - 12AWG Home Depot stranded cable........

Bob Marcus

RBernst929 wrote:

Why are you assuming his perceptions are "wrong"?

No one said his perceptions were wrong. I even called his perceptions a
*fact.*

* You cannot "prove" or
"disprove" anyone's perceptions.*

You can prove or disprove many conclusions someone draws from his
perceptions, however. Those conclusions are not a priori true, because we
know (even if you want to deny) that perceptions can be misleading. See
Steven's point about Gateway Arch, or any optical illusion, for that matter.

Perceptions are in the eye (ear) of the
beholder.* And just because the electrical engineers cannot measure any
difference in cables does NOT mean they cannot produce a perceptional
change

in
people

True. But no one has ever been able to demonstrate the ability to hear
differences between cables that couldn't be explained by differences in
measurable characteristics. After a while, it becomes reasonable to suspect
that no one ever will.

that may even differ from person to person.*
But, everything in Life is
filtered through our perceptions.* We cannot live without our perceptions

since
that is HOW we interact with our world.* So, who cares whether they measure

the
same or not?* They can STILL produce a perceptional difference.

Can they? No one has ever demonstrated that. People have demonstrated that
they experienced a perceptual difference. But no one has ever demonstrated
that a measureably similar cable produced it.

* Otherwise,

WHY
have different types of wire, different companies and different product
lines?

Because some consumers draw unwarranted conclusions from their perceptions
(perceptions often manipulated by clever salesfolk or well-meaning fellow
audiophiles), and because some consumers are willing to put absolute faith
in advertising copy, no matter how pseudoscientific it is.

bob

Getting married? Find great tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life
Events. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married

"Why are you assuming his perceptions are "wrong"? You cannot "prove" or
"disprove" anyone's perceptions. Perceptions are in the eye (ear) of the
beholder. And just because the electrical engineers cannot measure any
difference in cables does NOT mean they cannot produce a perceptional
change in people that may even differ from person to person. But,
everything in Life is"

Perception is very changable, when blind tests are done on wire the
perception of difference disappears, meaning the source of the perception
is not in the wire but manufactured in the brain downstream of the ears.
When people know which wire is being used, the attribute thought different
in the wire is originated in the brain and applied to the wire, all at the
level of the brain. When a test is done and two wires are said to be
switched alternatly but one is in fact used all the time, the differences
are reported still because it originates in the brain and not the wire.
When people come to realize it, the perception of difference collapses.
In the end on a practical level, one needs no longer give thought to wire
but enjoy the sound experience without the stress and worry that a
different wire might make it "better", as the marketing/hifi mags are egar
to be mutually supporting in convincing you.

Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM
Can network, video and sound cables be combined to save space? Gilden Man General 4 February 3rd 04 11:33 AM
Magnan Cables geovar High End Audio 5 January 10th 04 08:12 PM
How to measure speaker cables? Lawrence Leung High End Audio 22 November 11th 03 10:42 PM
Making my own speaker cables... Lawrence Leung High End Audio 0 November 4th 03 04:34 PM