Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Best way/quality to record vinyl...

On Oct 28, 8:16�pm, "ScottW" wrote:
wrote in ...
On Oct 25, 7:28?am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
Clamping something as pliable as vinyl as far from the sylus
as a record clamp typically is...is simply futile

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. LP clamping is a
very effective means of improving isolation, from the simple screw down
clamps (such as was popularized by Oracle) to the more elaborate
peripheral clamps, such as VPIs. As you yourself note:

?Effective isolation is easily confirmed...

Those who've experimented with these clamping systems can confirm their
effectiveness.

Clamps don't improve isolation.

Exactly, If anything it must diminish it by improving coupling to
the platter. �This may change the resonance of the system
but not at the distance and with a material as compliant
as vinyl.

They do couple the records to the
vinyl which achieves two things depending on the nature of the
platter. 1. They improve the stiffness of the vinyl

Only if you sandwiched the entire record. Vinyl is pretty
compliant and as such wont conduct vibration or force over any
distance in the vertical axis or thinnest dimension of the record.
� A clamp at the center won't improve coupling of
the record to the platter inches away.

ScottW- Hide quoted text -

It will if the platter and clamp have been designed to apply leverage
beyond the edge of the clamp.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
wrote in message ...

Vinyl is pretty
compliant and as such wont conduct vibration or force over any
distance in the vertical axis or thinnest dimension of the record.

The vinyl used to make LPs also has quite a bit of inherent damping. Pling
the edge of an LP with your finger. It doesn't ring, it sort of goes thwock.

A clamp at the center won't improve coupling of
the record to the platter inches away.

Agreed. The most logical way to damp a LP is to put as much of its surface
in contact with a damping material like felt or perhaps Sorbothane.

Thing is, it is very hard to measure potentially audible resonances on a LP
that is supported even minimally. The inherent damping of soft vinyl seems
to really work.

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in the
service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 29, 6:03�am, "Mike Gilmour" wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

wrote in ...
On Oct 25, 7:28?am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
[...]

I'd agree to an extent. Since this thread about clamps started I've run some
listening tests comparing both vacuum Vs spindle clamping. On my vacuum
clamp SOTA turntable, it is trivially easy to see the affects by switching
out vacuum pump. With the pump on there is a discernibly lower noise floor
i.e a 'blacker' background less surface noise, imaging and general focus
improves. Without vacuum but using the SOTA centre 'pull down' clamp the
benefits are not as good but better than no clamp at all. I don't have the
periphery clamping ring so I can't comment about that one. I've also heard
the Basis vacuum turntable that exhibited similiar results.
This suggest to me that centre clamping athough good is not as successful as
vacuum clamping.
Just my 2p's worth...

Mike- Hide quoted text -

As a former owner of a SOTA Star I have to say that test is a little
unfair. Without the vacuum engaged the rubber lip on the platter
designed to create the vacuum seal will push the vinyl away from the
platter even with the clamp. Turntables with no vacuum hold down will
not have the same unique problem.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
On Oct 28, 5:17�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in ...
Clamps don't improve isolation. They do couple the records to the
vinyl which achieves two things depending on the nature of the
platter. 1. They improve the stiffness of the vinyl

Must not be what you mean, because you can't change the stiffness of
vinyl
without changing the vinyl itself.

No it is exactly what I mean. Hold a vinyl record in the air and try
to flex it. It is quite easy. Now place it against a platter and
couple it with a record clamp. It won't flex in the direction of the
platter. so it is effectively stiffer.

However, this is not a real-world example because we *never* hold a vinyl
record in the air and try
to play it. Well, maybe some crazed enthusiast has tried it, but I don't
know about it! ;-)

What a clamp might do is mechanically couple the vinyl to something that
is
stiffer than it is, which would make the vinyl part of something that is
stiffer. �Stiffening would raise the resonance of the vinyl sheet,
which
would probably move it into a frequency range where its vibration would
be
more audible. So, just because the LP is stiffened, is not necessarily an
advantage.

That is true. That is why platter design is a lot more complicated
than just making it out of the stiffest material out there.

Technical measurements seem to show that platter material is not all that
important - many things will work.

Platters
and mats need to be damped and need to be carefully designed with
careful choice of materials to insure complimentary internal resonant
frequencies. You don't want a platter that rings like a bell.

Actually, I've had several platters that rang pretty nicely if I held them
in the air. Some were made out of steel sheet and also die cast aluminum or
similar metal.

Well I
don't. There are some designs out there with some pretty stiff
undamped light weight platters. I tend to find these designs to be
noticeably unpleasantly colored. You will find this a common design
feature in the Rega line of turntables. Sorry Arny. Nothing personal.
But I don't like the Regas.

I posted both a frequency sweep (well known means for exciting resonances)
and a dynamic range test of a Rega at www.pcavtech.com . See any resonances
in actual use?

2. they allow for better damping of the vinyl.

This would only happen if the vinyl were put into more intimate contact
with
something that is itself dampening. The degree of clamping would need to
be
optimized, not too little, not too much. If the record is clamped to the
damper too tightly, then the damping due to sliding between the two
elements
would be lost.

You are absolutely right here. that is why we often find the most
successful designs incorporate clamps that are specifically designed
to go with the platter.

"Going with the platter" does not ensure what I am talking about. However,
there's plenty of evidence that exotic matched and damped platters are
solutions looking for problems.

�If you have a stiff, well damped platter, those
characteristics will better transcribe to the vinyl when better
coupled to the platter.

If this vibration of the LP has no audible effects, then dampening this
vibration will have no audible effects.

That is true but we can't get around the fact that the stylus is
riding the vinyl.

Actual tests would show any problems that were audible.

Clealry any added vibration to the vinyl will be fed
directly into the stylus.

Only if it happens to an audible degree. Ever wonder why exotic LP playback
equipment provide zero technical tests for their products, and Stereophile
has AFAIK only done one? Technical testing would not show a real-world
advantage for a lot of expensive tool work and materials. It's audio
jewelry, plain and simple.

Also the stylus is putting energy directly
into the vinyl. If the vinyl is flexing that is very bad. If it is
taking that energy that is being directly applied to it and reflecting
it back because the vinyl is coupled to a stiff undamped platter that
rings like a bell, you have yet another significant coloration.
turntable design is a pretty complicated endeavor.

Actually, there's nothing at all inherently complicated about turntable
design. Nothing new of technical significance has been seen in decades.

When measuring the frequency response and noise from a LP, these
vibrations
should have some measurable effects. I can't remember seeing any, and see
no
signs of them in the published test results we have discussed. Note that
these measurements *do* pick up vibrations that are very tiny. Many of
the
vibrations that we *can* measure are masked by other sound sources
including
the music that is recorded on the LP.

How do determine what is causing what when you look at your
measurements?

Well, we know what was put on the test record. The input to the cutting
lathe is reported by the engineer who made the recording. The contents of
the recorded disk can be determined using a microscope. We're hoping that
when we play the test record, the input to the cutting lathe is what comes
back. If something is missing or else shows up, then that's not good.

Vis-a-vis these alleged vibration problems, that can't be detected: When
evidence of a problem is so universally absent, there is no causality to be
determined. I can explain why it doesn't happen. I can't explain why it
should happen.

The thing is isolation and damping achieve
similar results, the reduction of added vibration to the system.

I'm surprised that clamps don't help flatten records out. One of the
rather
obvious problems of the LP is jitter or FM distortion due to the LP not
being perfectly flat.

Thank you for adding that. Clamps also help flatten out records.

But, they only help somewhat - they are not a solution.

It is ironic that so much is made of jitter in digital equipment that is 100
dB down or more, and so little is made of similar jitter from LPs that is
only 30 to 50 dB down. Another Mulligan, I think. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Mike Gilmour" wrote in message

I'd agree to an extent. Since this thread about clamps started I've run
some
listening tests comparing both vacuum Vs spindle clamping. On my vacuum
clamp SOTA turntable, it is trivially easy to see the affects by switching
out vacuum pump. With the pump on there is a discernibly lower noise floor
i.e a 'blacker' background less surface noise, imaging and general focus
improves.

This should no doubt show up in technical testing.

It seems like a profound mechanical change like this would be pretty obvious
in ordinary testing.

I've never seen the results of any unbiased testing, subjective or test
equipment based, of this hypothesis.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour[_2_] Mike Gilmour[_2_] is offline

wrote in message ...
On Oct 29, 6:03?am, "Mike Gilmour" wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message

wrote in
On Oct 25, 7:28?am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
[...]

Fair comment, agreed it was not a fair test. This evening I've tried the
MRM Source turntable with / without clamp - preferred with clamp but the
results were less marked than with the SOTA, probably for the very reason
you stated.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
just me just me is offline

On 2008-10-29, Arny Krueger wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
wrote in message ...

Vinyl is pretty
compliant and as such wont conduct vibration or force over any
distance in the vertical axis or thinnest dimension of the record.

The vinyl used to make LPs also has quite a bit of inherent damping. Pling
the edge of an LP with your finger. It doesn't ring, it sort of goes thwock.

A clamp at the center won't improve coupling of
the record to the platter inches away.

Agreed. The most logical way to damp a LP is to put as much of its surface
in contact with a damping material like felt or perhaps Sorbothane.

Thing is, it is very hard to measure potentially audible resonances on a LP
that is supported even minimally. The inherent damping of soft vinyl seems
to really work.

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in the
service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

But center clamping does help flatten those warped recycled vinyl that
were used during the '70s oil crises.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in
the
service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

Then you are wrong, and you haven't ever tried it, or if you have, listened
closely. The improvements in clarity and soundstaging are not subtle...at
least on my Linn and Thorens they weren't.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

The low end of audio
has certainly made quantum leaps in quality for that
audience over the years.

Agreed, and with a bullet.

.....and high-end audio is now in the reach of anyone without the need
to take out a mortgage, which, in my view, is very good news.

Of course there's still lots of companies prepared to convince you to
cough up ludicrous amounts of cash to hear things marginally better.

Personally, I appreciate the prevalence of headphones
over boom boxes for teen music today.

Cuts down on noise pollution, at the very least.

My prediction is a worldwide epidemic in about 20 years of premature
deafness and hearing problems brought on by today's kids using
headphones at too high a level. Headphone wearers rarely realise that
the body's main way of determining that something is dangerously loud
is physical - your entire body feels it. Inject the sound directly
into your ears and you lose that early-warning system.

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

I've been away for a while and on reading this long thread I thought I
must have gone back in time - all this talk of LPs and cassette tapes!

Simple physics will suggest to you that the very process of playing
back an analogue medium such as a vinyl LP with a mechanical device
called a stylus is going to induce an element of distortion of its
own. The stylus is being pushed around by the groove at a hell of a
rate and, whilst small, it has a finite mass, and therefore will apply
some forces back into the LP via the groove walls. Similarly some of
that energy will be passed into the arm itself and therefore the
magnets or coils around the stylus armature, and will therefore affect
the way the signal is picked up. Mechanical, stylus-induced
distortion, then. But probably an insignificant element?

Well here's a simple experiment I tried out probably 30 years ago.
Get a simple piezo-electric guitar pickup and stick it to your tone
arm, then re-balance the arm. Turn all your audio equipment off apart
from your turntable and play an LP on it. Plug the guitar pickup into
something and listen. The level of signal picked up will probably
surprise you.

You can then try it out with the pickup attached to the turntable
base. Again I remember being surprised, even shocked, at the level of
signal that was being generated via the stylus and transmitted right
through to the turntable base.

I seem to remember being able to hear audible differences in this
induced signal picked up through the guitar pick-up when I tried
different turntable mats and my conclusion at the time was that the
difference was due to the extent to which they helped damp out this
mechanically induced signal. My guess is that this distortion is also
reduced by the various clamping mechanisms that others have discussed
here, since you're increasing the effective mass of the vinyl record.

For those of you who really believe that LP sound represents the
ultimate sonic experience, I'd suggest that your sought-after nirvana
will only be truly reached if you have a contactless, non-mechanical
way of reading the LP grooves. Someone posted a link to a laser-based
LP player on this newsgroup some time ago. Eye-wateringly expensive
if I remember!

However, as one of Mr Sullivan's links implied, remember that this
same process of induced signal will have occurred during the vinyl
master cutting process, but you'll be unable to do anything about it!

Like it or hate it, the great thing about digital is that the
processes of writing to and reading from whatever storage medium is
used can have no effect on the original signal. Processing and
amplifying that raw digital stream is, of course, another matter.

On 22 Oct 2008 19:26:36 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

...transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some,
'ambience' of its own, via euphonic distortion
inherent in vinyl playback.

More recently, this series of articles, including
measurements:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...rts-6---8.html

Steven, you might find this to be an interesting comparison:

Please compare

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...raph-large.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 1 KHz tone, with the second harmonic about 20
dB down, which I call 10% second harmonic nonlinear distortion. 10%
distortion is a *lot* of distortion by any standard. There's no question as
to its audibility under a wide variety of conditions. And, it should be
given no special allowance or tolerance on the ground that it is a so-called
"euphonic" harmonic - the same nonlinearity *must* create equally egregious
amounts of IM when playing real-world music.

to:

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one percent second and
third harmonic distortion.

Simple question - which LP player is doing the better job of providing a
relatively low-distortion rendition of the recording being played - the one
with a stated 7% THD+N or the one with less than 0.7% THD+N?

The Rega/Grado combo, by that metric. However,
if the Secrets' author's contention hat 2nd order harmonic distortion
is euphonic is true, then some listeners might subjectively prefer MORE of it,
via the Macintosh rig!

Either way you marked the Rega/Grado as 'Poor' in that category.

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/

That 'jitter distortion' measurment is interesting, I don't recall Stereophile
calling it that when they test vinyl rigs ;

Also intersting to compare the TT/cart results to something digital as humble as, say...a Sony
portable CDP

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/Sony_D-220/index.htm

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 29, 8:21�pm, "ScottW" wrote:
wrote in ...
On Oct 28, 8:16 pm, "ScottW" wrote:
wrote in ...
On Oct 25, 7:28?am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
[...]

�If I am envisioning the idea correctly, you're attempting to cup the
vinyl (deflect it down slightly against the platter) by a clamp with
a down force ring outside a up rim in the platter.
You can't actually force the vinyl down all around as doing so will
reduce the circumference and require a material that can be compressed.

ScottW- Hide quoted text -

I don't think the center clamp is a pefect solution. Especially with
warped records but I think you need to look more carefully at the
geometry involved here. Even a flat record is not actually flat. The
labels tend to be thicker than the rest of the record and they also
have raised lips on the perimeter. Various clamping systems and
platter combinations work in different ways top apply positive
preasure on the entire record from the center. the SOTA (the make of
turntable) uses a washer at the base of the record spindal that raises
the label higher than the platter surface. the clamp applies preasure
on the label beyond the edge of the washer which pushes the entire
record against the platter. That is just one example. There are other
turntables that use a very slightly dished platter to help ensure
contact. I don't like that solution though because it can only screw
up the geometry.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in
the service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

Then you are wrong, and you haven't ever tried it, or if you have,
listened
closely.

Easy to say, but where's the proof, Harry?

Where's the reliable evidence? Anecdotes are a dime a baker's dozen!

If clamping is so effective, then surely it has some measurable effect,
right?

The improvements in clarity and soundstaging are not subtle...at
least on my Linn and Thorens they weren't.

I can't think of one psuedoscience audio "innovation", including green CD
pens, interconnects the size of garden hoses, and magic paint, that lacks a
testimonial with similar wording.

Convince me that this isn't more of the same!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 29, 3:51*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 28, 5:17 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in ...
Clamps don't improve isolation. They do couple the records to the
vinyl which achieves two things depending on the nature of the
platter. 1. They improve the stiffness of the vinyl

Must not be what you mean, because you can't change the stiffness of
vinyl
without changing the vinyl itself.

No it is exactly what I mean. Hold a vinyl record in the air and try
to flex it. It is quite easy. Now place it against a platter and
couple it with a record clamp. It won't flex in the direction of the
platter. so it is effectively stiffer.

However, this is not a real-world example because we *never* hold a vinyl
record in the air and try
*to play it. Well, maybe some crazed enthusiast has tried it, but I don't
know about it! ;-)

One does not need to hold a record in the air. If a record is not
completely coupled to a platter there is air underneath it when it is
being played.

What a clamp might do is mechanically couple the vinyl to something that
is
stiffer than it is, which would make the vinyl part of something that is
stiffer. Stiffening would raise the resonance of the vinyl sheet,
which
would probably move it into a frequency range where its vibration would
be
more audible. So, just because the LP is stiffened, is not necessarily an
advantage.

That is true. That is why platter design is a lot more complicated
than just making it out of the stiffest material out there.

Technical measurements seem to show that platter material is not all that
important - many things will work.

What technical measurements show that platter material isn't all that
important. I'm sure many turntable designers would like to be privy to
those technical measurments. One need look no further than the trouble
many makers of high end turntables go through over this to get the
impression that many of them think this is a critical issue. It would
seem the folks at Continuum would vehemently disagree with you on this
issue.
http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/caliburnplatter.html
"We have built a database of properties and measurements which now
allows us to "virtually" model any platter design and determine the
sonic signature by matching it to similar signatures from prior
listening tests."
The desigers at Continuum don't strike me as a bunch of crackpots or
snakeoil salesmen,
http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/aboutus.html
Check out
John Loton: Physics and structure design
Jihn Veitz: Metalurgy and Engineering
Dr. Neil McLachlan: acoustics design
Here is some of what they have to say.
"Many people may consider building a turntable is not rocket science.
Read on!

Turntable design has gone through some interesting developments over
the years.

The Caliburn’s design process began with the analysis of existing high-
end turntable designs to identify their strengths and weaknesses.

We took away the aesthetic considerations and concentrated on the
physical properties of a material and it became apparent that the
sonic signature of a turntable is greatly affected by the selection of
materials.
In the search for the perfect turntable material, Continuum Audio
Laboratories analysed many commonly used materials in existing
turntables such as:
Wood based products -
MDF, Chip Board, StoneWood, Marine Ply, Natural Timbers, both Hardwood
and Softwood, exotic and native etc.
Plastics -
Acrylic, Methacrylate, Glass Fibre Composites, Carbon and Kevlar based
composites, epoxies, urethanes and other uncommon materials.
Glass/Ceramics/Stone -
Naturally occurring or man made.
Metals -
Titanium, Aluminium, Magnesium, Tungsten, Stainless Steels, Copper,
Brass, Bronze, and a host of other metals.
We often see references to aeronautical alloys such as 2024-T3, 6061-
T6 and 7075-T6 which have material properties that are well known and
published.
So too are Stainless Steel alloys and the family of advanced metals
and ceramics such as Titanium Magnesium and Tungsten, Amorphous Metals
etc.
We also looked at a range of Magnesium Alloys and determined that
commercially available Magnesium Alloys were not perfect for
turntables either.
Challenging problems often require the creation of purpose specific
materials

Caliburn advanced metallurgy

The Caliburn uses advanced metallurgy and composites engineering used
in the aerospace industry, to create purpose specific materials to
achieve a level of performance never before realized from analogue
reproduction systems.
We sought the assistance of some of the finest metallurgists to
discuss our unique needs.
In conjunction with materials engineer, John Vietz (see Design Team),
these specialists worked out a formulation for a unique alloy
specification, which has been tailored to address the needs of a
turntable and tonearm combination.
We realised early on that to build stiffness and damping into a design
required the use of metals which behaved differently to carbon fibre
composites, wood based products, masonry (granite, marble etc) and
plastics.
This led to the creation of a new alloy using Magnesium as the primary
material with trace elements of other alloying materials to create the
right mix of properties.
To verify our design we then prototyped the Caliburn turntable shape
out of readily available aeronautical alloys and compared that to an
identical prototype using our newly forged “Caliburn” Magnesium Alloy.
The result was a significant improvement in real world audiophile
performance between the purpose built “Caliburn” Alloy and the
commercial alloy.
Spatial information retrieval, timbre and tone accuracy, absence of
high frequency distortion etc etc."

It seems like some pretty legitimate scientists and engineers did some
pretty extensive research and drew very different conclusions from
yours. It is fair to point out that their research is not, to the best
of my knowldge, made public. But that is understandable since they are
developing proprietary technology. I could understand their reluctance
to share the sepcifics. OTOH this would be one elaborate hoax
involving the reputations of legitimate engineers and scientists if it
were all B.S.

[...]

I couldn't find the test. But even if I did how would you figure what
variances are due specifically to the effects of platter resonances? I
am assuming you did not get a razor flat frequency response.

2. they allow for better damping of the vinyl.

This would only happen if the vinyl were put into more intimate contact
with
something that is itself dampening. The degree of clamping would need to
be
optimized, not too little, not too much. If the record is clamped to the
damper too tightly, then the damping due to sliding between the two
elements
would be lost.

You are absolutely right here. that is why we often find the most
successful designs incorporate clamps that are specifically designed
to go with the platter.

"Going with the platter" does not ensure what I am talking about. *However,
there's plenty of evidence that exotic matched and damped platters are
solutions looking for problems.

Could you show us this evidence?

If you have a stiff, well damped platter, those
characteristics will better transcribe to the vinyl when better
coupled to the platter.

If this vibration of the LP has no audible effects, then dampening this
vibration will have no audible effects.

That is true but we can't get around the fact that the stylus is
riding the vinyl.

Actual tests would show any problems that were audible.

What actual tests are you refering to?

Clealry any added vibration to the vinyl will be fed
directly into the stylus.

Only if it happens to an audible degree. Ever wonder why exotic LP playback
equipment provide zero technical tests for their products,

I would be more interested in independent test results.

and Stereophile
has AFAIK only done one? *Technical testing would not show a real-world
advantage for a lot of expensive tool work and materials. It's audio
jewelry, plain and simple.

Something is responsible for the unique sonic signatures of all
turntables and pickup arms.

Also the stylus is putting energy directly
into the vinyl. If the vinyl is flexing that is very bad. If it is
taking that energy that is being directly applied to it and reflecting
it back because the vinyl is coupled to a stiff undamped platter that
rings like a bell, you have yet another significant coloration.
turntable design is a pretty complicated endeavor.

Actually, there's nothing at all inherently complicated about turntable
design. Nothing new of technical significance has been seen in decades.

I suggest anyone who believes this carefully comb the Continuum
website. Links are already provided.

When measuring the frequency response and noise from a LP, these
vibrations
should have some measurable effects. I can't remember seeing any, and see
no
signs of them in the published test results we have discussed. Note that
these measurements *do* pick up vibrations that are very tiny. Many of
the
vibrations that we *can* measure are masked by other sound sources
including
the music that is recorded on the LP.

How do determine what is causing what when you look at your
measurements?

Well, we know what was put on the test record.

Not exactly. We don't know what distortions or their exact source went
into the cutting and plating and pressing of any test record.

The input to the cutting
lathe is reported by the engineer who made the recording. The contents of
the recorded disk can be determined using a microscope.

How?

*We're hoping that
when we play the test record, the input to the cutting lathe is what comes
back. If something is missing or else shows up, then that's not good.

Any given test record is subject to any shortcomings of the cutting
engineer or the specific equipment used. There is no getting around
that fact. I am confident that the latest HFN test record is at least
one of the best ones out there though.

Vis-a-vis these alleged vibration problems, that can't be detected: When
evidence of a problem is so universally absent, there is no causality to be
determined. I can explain why *it doesn't happen. I can't explain why it
should happen.

I think the folks at Continuum along with a whole host of other
turntable designers would disagree.
There are the folks at SME
http://www.sme.ltd.uk/content/Model-302-1314.shtml
Here is something they say about the subject
"the design of the Model 30/2 takes special account of sonic
considerations and with equipment of comparable quality can provide a
listening experience that allows L.P. sound to be re-assessed. Detail,
resolution, and neutrality are of a new order with a dynamic range
that does justice to the original sound.

The laws of physics decree that the higher the mass and stiffness of a
body the less it will flex and vibrate - and this is reflected
throughout the Model 30/2.

The sub-chassis is machined from 19mm thick aluminium alloy plate and
weighs approximately 17kg while the base with its four supporting
pillars adds a further 16kg. This offers the high mass and stiffness
required for uncoloured reproduction further aided by efficient
extensional damping of both components to reduce the amplitude and
duration of their vibrational modes.

In conventional turntables metal supporting springs often contribute
significantly to colouration. Sometimes even their size and nature can
be identified by an experienced ear!"

The thing is isolation and damping achieve
similar results, the reduction of added vibration to the system.

I'm surprised that clamps don't help flatten records out. One of the
rather
obvious problems of the LP is jitter or FM distortion due to the LP not
being perfectly flat.

Thank you for adding that. Clamps also help flatten out records.

But, they only help somewhat - they are not a solution.

It is ironic that so much is made of jitter in digital equipment that is 100
dB down or more, and so little is made of similar jitter from LPs that is
only 30 to 50 dB down. Another Mulligan, I think. :-(

It seems you are trying to make very little of it. Clearly it is a
priority to any number of high end turntable designers and
manufacturers.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message

[...]

This is always true, unless perhaps you have your turntable in a high vacuum
chamber.

[...]

Says who and why?

I'm sure many turntable designers would like to be privy to
those technical measurements.

Nothing but indifference and sloth prevents them from making those
measurements for themselves, or hiring a qualified lab to do them.

One need look no further than the trouble
many makers of high end turntables go through over this to get the
impression that many of them think this is a critical issue.

What people think is meaningless. Many people still think that green CD pens
affect sound quality. So what?

It would
seem the folks at Continuum would vehemently disagree with you on this
issue.

They get to disagree with general knowledge about sound and vibration at
their own risk.

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/caliburnplatter.html

I see a lot of vague claims, with zero real-world proof of performance. Why
am I not surprised?

"We have built a database of properties and measurements which now
allows us to "virtually" model any platter design and determine the
sonic signature by matching it to similar signatures from prior
listening tests."
The designers at Continuum don't strike me as a bunch of crackpots or
snakeoil salesmen,
http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/aboutus.html

They don't seem to understand the concept of "Technical proof of
performance", or at least they don't feel obliged to demonstrate it.

Check out
John Loton: Physics and structure design
Jihn Veitz: Metalurgy and Engineering
Dr. Neil McLachlan: acoustics design
Here is some of what they have to say.
"Many people may consider building a turntable is not rocket science.
Read on!

Meaningless without reliable evidence about what happens when the stylus
hits the vinyl.

Turntable design has gone through some interesting developments over
the years.

Mostly paid anecdote, hype and hyperbole. Almost entirely so.

Where's the beef? :-(

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

ScottW wrote (about turntable center clamps):

If I am envisioning the idea correctly, you're attempting to cup the
vinyl (deflect it down slightly against the platter) by a clamp with
a down force ring outside a up rim in the platter.
You can't actually force the vinyl down all around as doing so will
reduce the circumference and require a material that can be compressed.

That's interesting reasoning, but it's in the same class as calculations
that show bumblebees can't fly.

Let's look at how things work in the real world. A good example is the
Oracle turntable clamping system. This uses a threaded center clamp and
turntable mat of a material similar to Sorbothane. This system is so
effective that - after an LP has been clamped and played - it is often
necessary to literally peel the LP off of the mat.

So, yes, LPs can be effectively clamped to a mat or turntable platter
and yes, it makes a difference.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in
the service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

Then you are wrong, and you haven't ever tried it, or if you have,
listened
closely.

Easy to say, but where's the proof, Harry?

Where's the reliable evidence? Anecdotes are a dime a baker's dozen!

If clamping is so effective, then surely it has some measurable effect,
right?

The improvements in clarity and soundstaging are not subtle...at
least on my Linn and Thorens they weren't.

I can't think of one psuedoscience audio "innovation", including green CD
pens, interconnects the size of garden hoses, and magic paint, that lacks
testimonial with similar wording.

Convince me that this isn't more of the same!

MEthinks thou doeth protest to much. You made an assertion as if it were
fact. I am making a counter-assertion...based on the fact that I could
consistently hear a difference. You are the one making the claim that
clamps make no audible difference and are more snake oil. Back it up?
Where is YOUR proof that your assertion is true? You haven't even denied my
assertion that you may never have listened to a clamp.

By the way? "Pseudoscience"? Once again you are showing that you are not
objective, since you have not begun to "prove" that your assertion is based
on anything, much less scientific proof!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Irwin Peter Irwin is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Where's the reliable evidence? Anecdotes are a dime a baker's dozen!

If clamping is so effective, then surely it has some measurable effect,
right?

The best test I've seen is:

Toole, Floyd and Ian G. Masters. "Audiolab: Special Report:
Record Support Systems." Audio Canada. October 1981

(The periodical may be indexed at your library under the title
of AudioScene Canada)

The most significant finding was that acoustic pickup was much
lower with heavy records than with lightweight records.

The Oracle mat and clamp system was found to be highly effective
on a lightweight RCA Dynaflex record. Acoustic pickup was reduced
to a level comparable to a heavyweight record. Middleweight records
did not improve as much. A middleweight record with the clamp was not
as good as the lightweight disc with the clamp. Heavyweight records
showed no significant benefit from the use of the clamp.

They did single-blind subjective tests as well as measurements.

Peter.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:17:14 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message ...

Clamps don't improve isolation. They do couple the records to the
vinyl which achieves two things depending on the nature of the
platter. 1. They improve the stiffness of the vinyl

Must not be what you mean, because you can't change the stiffness of vinyl
without changing the vinyl itself.

What a clamp might do is mechanically couple the vinyl to something that is
stiffer than it is, which would make the vinyl part of something that is
stiffer. Stiffening would raise the resonance of the vinyl sheet, which
would probably move it into a frequency range where its vibration would be
more audible. So, just because the LP is stiffened, is not necessarily an
advantage.

Hmm. coupling the record more closely to the turntable (especially if said
table were some kind of plastic, itself) is not to make the record "stiffer"
but rather to increase the mass of the of record and thereby lower the
frequency of the vinyl's resonance to below audibility, while simultaneously
dampening said resonance. Of course, all of this is to a degree as not all
clamps or clamping methods are perfect. To the degree that one can mate the
vinyl record with the material of the platter under it, there will usually be
some modicum of improvement, but obviously, ideally, the only way to maximize
this ploy would be to make the playing surface of the record an the massive
platter structure one. Highly impractical.

2. they allow for better damping of the vinyl.

This would only happen if the vinyl were put into more intimate contact with
something that is itself dampening. The degree of clamping would need to be
optimized, not too little, not too much. If the record is clamped to the
damper too tightly, then the damping due to sliding between the two elements
would be lost.

Clamping a record to the platter allows
the record to literally take on more of the characteristics of that
platter.

If that is what you mean by improving the stiffness of the vinyl, then yes
this can happen.

If you have a stiff, well damped platter, those
characteristics will better transcribe to the vinyl when better
coupled to the platter.

If this vibration of the LP has no audible effects, then dampening this
vibration will have no audible effects.

But it does. LPs do resonate and that resonance affects how much information
in the groove results in an analogous voltage output from the cartridge. It
can accentuate some frequencies and diminish others, depending upon the phase
relationships between the vinyl resonances and the movement of the stylus.
I've seen tremendous, and by that I mean astonishing differences in the
quantity and quality of bass elicited from an LP just by increasing the mass
of the turntable mat. (anecdote alert!)

I once had a belt drive Thorens table. When the first Telarc LP of the Holst
suites for band came out (the record with the huge bass drum whacks!) I was
disappointed that they didn't sound as impressive as I remembered hearing
them in the Soundstream room at the AES in NYC earlier that year. Someone
suggested that I buy a new turntable mat made by a company called Nagaoka
(IIRC) or some such. This thick mat weighed a ton. It was made of rubber that
had ben mixed with lead filings. I placed it on my Thorens table and noticed
that it pushed the table so close to the plinth, that it almost rubbed. I put
the Telarc on the table and placed the stylus just before the first drum
whack (easily seen on the record due the coarse pitch of the grooves at that
point). When the whack came. I was astounded! it was much louder and much
louder than the same whack with the supplied Thorens mat. Needless to say, we
went back and forth between mats that day to amke sure that we weren't
hallucinating or experience some "new gear" syndrome. We weren't. The
difference was so great that one of us could stand in the bedroom while the
other switched mats (or not) and correctly call when the Nagaoka mat was on
the table - every time.

When measuring the frequency response and noise from a LP, these vibrations
should have some measurable effects. I can't remember seeing any, and see no
signs of them in the published test results we have discussed. Note that
these measurements *do* pick up vibrations that are very tiny. Many of the
vibrations that we *can* measure are masked by other sound sources including
the music that is recorded on the LP.

The thing is isolation and damping achieve
similar results, the reduction of added vibration to the system.

I'm surprised that clamps don't help flatten records out. One of the rather
obvious problems of the LP is jitter or FM distortion due to the LP not
being perfectly flat.

The only 'tables I've ever seen tackle that problem even semi-successfully
were tables that used a vacuum hold-down. Even most of those that were ever
on the market were not sufficiently powerful enough to do the job properly.
An Ideal 'table would have a powerful (but totally silent) vacuum hold-down
and a system that could detect and correct for record eccentricity. Tables
that did either of those things have been sold, but I've never seen one that
did both simultaneously.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:38:40 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

On Oct 25, 8:28�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in ...
On Oct 24, 7:22?am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
You and your friends were and are entitled to your opinions but they
are hardly representative of any universal opinions of the audiophiles
of the day that owned or were at least exposed to SOTA or near SOTA
vinyl playback of that day.

This claim is based on what statistical market research information
assembled by an authoritative source such as the RIAA?

Just as the stated opinions by you on behalf of your friends, it is
not based on any such research. To the best of my knowledge, the RIAA
never researched the opinions of audiophiles who owned or were exposed
to SOTA or near SOTA vinyl playback. You recalled the opinions of your
friends of the day. I simply pointed out that your anecdote did not
represent a universal opinion at that time. I base this on a clear
memory of converstaions with other aduiophiles back then along with a
number of reviews and letters to the editors of the underground audio
publications written back then. Are you going to take the position
that the the opinions you related to us in your anecdote about your
friends' opinions on CD sound v. vinyl sound back in the early 80s was
a univversal opinion among audiophiles who were exposed in one way or
another to SOTA or near SOTA vinyl playback? If you really wish to
assert that I will find testimonials of audiophiles that did have a
very different opinion.

Many such audiophiles were very
dissatisfied with the sound they were hearing from CDs.

(Semantic argument snipped)

Jenn's point
was that the vast majority of us, myself included embraced CD sound
back then because it was much better than our far less than SOTA
vinyl playback equipment.

There is nothing but anecdotes to support the idea that so-called SOTA vinyl
playback equipment has any performance advantage over the equipment that my
friends and I used.

Where are the measurements of SOTA vinyl playback to support this
assertion? I have yet to see any such measurements performed on the
Rockport Sirius III or the Continuum Caliburn? Without such
measurments any assertion that these rigs have the same levels of
audible distortion as the rigs your friends and you used is also quite
anecdotal.

Furthermore, we had been exposed to that sort of
boutique equipment all along, and we were aware of its lack of anything but
visual performance.

You and your friends are entitled to their subjective opinions.

?So yes, CDs sounded better.

We've already seen plenty of evidence that very expensive modern LP
playback
equipment performs no better than legacy equipment because the weakest
link
is the media.
I haven't seen any such evidence.

Sure you have, and you dismissed it, out of hand.

No. I have not seen any evidence to support the assertion that
"expensive modern LP equipment performs no better than legacy
equipment." If you have some results from some independent blind
listening comparisons that support this assertion I'd be happy to look
at them. Of course the big problem here is the wide variety of
"expensive modern LP playback equipment" that is out there. I am sure
given the wide variety one may find something that they don't like or
something that is an expensive bad idea brought to market. I would
never assert that *all* expensive gear is actually good by any
measure. So one would have to be very careful to choose a wide enough
variety of modern turntable rigs to really represent today's state of
the art. Of course one also has to ask what you mean by "legacy"
equipment as well. One could argue that The Continuum Caliburn is
"legacy equipment" since some of the technology developed in the
design of that rig has trickled down into Continuum's second turntable
design.

We also have to consider the
subjective nature of the term "better." Not everyone agrees on what is
better.

To be better something has to be different, and there is no reliable
evidence that boutique vinyl playback gear performs any different from what
we had, only anecdotes.

Are you sure about that?

BTW, feel free to test your vinyl playback equipment and post
it, Let's see if its better than mine!
Better by what measure?

Sound quality based on reliable comparisons with the source material.

I have done many single blind listening tests of various turntables,
pickup arms and cartridges. Among those comparisons were some that
involed various incarnations of various Regas including the Rega 2. By
my subjective measure under blind conditions the Regas did not fare
well. YMMV

?But the point is about what happens ?NOW.

What happens now is that the CD format is fully exploited by playback
equipment costing less than $100 while there has been no significant
objective change in the performance of vinyl playback equipment at any
price
because it all still plays vinyl LPs. ?The geometry problems of 1975 have
never been solved.
That is a faulty argument.
18. Tautology A tautology is an argument that utilizes circular
reasoning, which means that the conclusion is also its own premise.

The statement �"The geometry problems of 1975 have
�never been solved." is not a tautology.

You are correct. The argument that "there has been no significant
objective change in the performance of vinyl playback equipment at any
price because it all still plays vinyl LPs." is a tautology. That was
my point.

It is however a statement that you are unprepared to evaluate, because by
your own admission, you have no idea what the geometry problems of 1975
were. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe you are wrong. I have made no such admission that I know of.
The geometry of vinyl cutting and playback is pretty well known and
straight forward. If you think there is any aspect of it that you
believe I don't understand please fill me in. I am happy to learn
something more about the geometry of vinyl playback.

The problems of "vinyl" playback haven't changed since Emil Berliner come up
with the flat phonograph record. The geometrical requirements haven't
changed. LPs and most old so-called "78's" are cut with overhead lathes which
transcribe a straight line from the outside periphery of the record clear in
to the label margins while playback is usually via a pivoted playback arm
which transcribes an arc across the self-same disc. By definition, the arc
across the playing surface of the record will only be tangent to the parallel
line transcribed by the cutting stylus at one point. That one point will be
the place where the apogee of the arc places the stylus absolutely square and
the cartridge body is perpendicular to the cross section of the groove. Two
points of tangency can be achieved if the arm is offset from the pivot. The
maximum error can be diminished to a tertiary-order effect by making the
distance from the arm's horizontal pivot point to the stylus longer. This is
based on a theoretical property of Euclidian geometry that states that if the
pivot point of an arc were infinitely distant from the end proscribing said
arc, then the arc would be a straight line.

Except for the few straight-line tracking arms that have appeared over the
years (to greater or lesser effect), most vinyl playback is still
accomplished with a pivoted arm of either 9 or 12 inches of effective length.
This was also true in 1975. From that standpoint, nothing has changed. OTOH,
careful alignment of a decent cartridge with good stylus profile and mounting
geometry has made the tracking error distortion mostly a moot point. The best
tracking cartridge in history, probably, was the Shure Brothers V-15 series.
While not the best sounding cartridges, by any stretch of the imagination
(although they certainly weren't the worst, either), they would track
anything and caused the lowest groove wear of any cartridge that I know of.

Modern arms have the advantage of better bearings, lower mass, and less
resonance than their predecessors, but other than that, both cartridge design
and arm design are what engineers would call "mature technologies". IOW, the
same laws of physics that say that any airframe introduced to take the place
of the ancient and venerable U. S. bomber, the B-52, would be so much like it
that there is no point to redesigning it, also says that modern phonograph
"tonearms" are so little different from their predecessors that they only
differ in the materials used. Just as a "new" B-52 would likely be built of
composites while the originals were made out of aluminum, modern arms are
likely to made of, or employ in some fashion, carbon fiber or kevlar or other
composite materials in an effort to control resonances.

Turntables, too, are different from older designs not in the way that they
are driven or suspended, but rather that modern turntables are more likely to
have platters made from machined acrylics rather than machined aluminum and
some are even made with platters of MDF. Again, all in an effort to reduce
resonance and to more closely couple the mechanical impedance of the vinyl
record to that of the turntable itself.

These measures CAN elicit more information from the grooves, and can have a
stunning effect on LP playback. But in the end, the most important thing is
the mounting and alignment of the phono cartridge. A poorly made or
improperly mounted and aligned cartridge can utterly destroy any secondary or
tertiary advantages of these strides in materials technology.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:16:46 -0700, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message ...
On Oct 25, 7:28?am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
ScottW wrote:
[...]

It may help a little, and is probably better than no clamping at all. But I
must admit that I've never seen any studies that show this to be so.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:22:00 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Methinks that this whole LP damping thing is just more pseudoscience in
the
service of marketing expensive turntables and record mats.

Then you are wrong, and you haven't ever tried it, or if you have, listened
closely. The improvements in clarity and soundstaging are not subtle...at
least on my Linn and Thorens they weren't.

You are right. Vinyl playback, being an electro-mechanical endeavor is
fraught with problems caused by the interaction of the record with the
platter, the record with the stylus, the stylus with the cartridge body, and
the cartridge body with the arm. Even air and structure born feedback from
the speakers affect the resonances that add to or subtract from the vectored
output at the point where stylus motion is converted to voltage. EVERYTHING
affects it.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Rob Tweed wrote:

For those of you who really believe that LP sound represents the
ultimate sonic experience, I'd suggest that your sought-after nirvana
will only be truly reached if you have a contactless, non-mechanical
way of reading the LP grooves. Someone posted a link to a laser-based
LP player on this newsgroup some time ago. Eye-wateringly expensive
if I remember!

Laser beam LP playback is still vulnerable to dust or other foreign
matter on in the groove...perhaps even more sensitive to it than a stylus.

However, as one of Mr Sullivan's links implied, remember that this
same process of induced signal will have occurred during the vinyl
master cutting process, but you'll be unable to do anything about it!

As many have noted in the past, it's really a wonder the Rube Goldberg
contraption that is the LP production/playback chain, sounds as good as
it does at all.

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Rob Tweed wrote:

....and high-end audio is now in the reach of anyone without the need
to take out a mortgage, which, in my view, is very good news.

Agreed - lowering the cost of quality audio is very good news indeed. Of
course, the best full-range speakers are still expensive.

Of course there's still lots of companies prepared to convince you to
cough up ludicrous amounts of cash to hear things marginally better.

"Ludicrous amounts of cash" is a subjective judgment, for sure. In any
event, spending good money for incremental improvement is part of what
high-end audio is all about. Saying the result is only "marginally
better" is also a subjective judgment. What's marginal for you may be
substantial to another listener.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message

[...]

A number of turntables actually do use a vacuum clamp to address this.

[...]

You. Just read your own words a few posts back.

and why?

Perhaps you can answer that question since it was your assertion.

I'm sure many turntable designers would like to be privy to
those technical measurements.

Nothing but indifference and sloth prevents them from making those
measurements for themselves, or hiring a qualified lab to do them.

I think the complete absense of the technical measurments you allege
exist might also be an obstacle. I couldn't find them. Perhaps if you
could produce them we'd know what it is you are talking about.

One need look no further than the trouble
many makers of high end turntables go through over this to get the
impression that many of them think this is a critical issue.

What people think is meaningless.

In this case we are talking about the designers of turntables and
pickup arms. So your position is that their beliefs on materials used
in their designs is meaningless. I'll just let that stand on it's own.

It would
seem the folks at Continuum would vehemently disagree with you on this
issue.

They get to disagree with general knowledge about sound and vibration at
their own risk.

What "general knowledge" is that? The physics is pretty simple when it
comes to vibration and damping vibration and it clearly favors the
position held by the folks designing turntables. The position that
vibrations in a platter and the damping of those vibrations can and
often do affect the movement of the stylus in the record groove in an
audible way.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:21:30 -0700, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

Rob Tweed wrote:

....and high-end audio is now in the reach of anyone without the need
to take out a mortgage, which, in my view, is very good news.

Agreed - lowering the cost of quality audio is very good news indeed. Of
course, the best full-range speakers are still expensive.

And that's where I advise people to put the lion's share of their audio
dollars.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 31 Oct 2008 01:20:57 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Rob Tweed wrote:

For those of you who really believe that LP sound represents the
ultimate sonic experience, I'd suggest that your sought-after nirvana
will only be truly reached if you have a contactless, non-mechanical
way of reading the LP grooves. Someone posted a link to a laser-based
LP player on this newsgroup some time ago. Eye-wateringly expensive
if I remember!

Laser beam LP playback is still vulnerable to dust or other foreign
matter on in the groove...perhaps even more sensitive to it than a stylus.

Very true. Ah those wonderful hours spent trying to get dust out of
your LP grooves, and you still found a great blob of it round the
stylus by the end of the LP no matter what you did, and you still
heard clicks and that awful groove noise on even your best cared-for
discs. And that whole marketplace of gadgets and contrraptions that
claimed to restore your precious LPs to pristine condition. Anyone
want an old dust-bug? :-)

And god help you if you ever made the mistake of lending an LP to a
mate....!

However, as one of Mr Sullivan's links implied, remember that this
same process of induced signal will have occurred during the vinyl
master cutting process, but you'll be unable to do anything about it!

As many have noted in the past, it's really a wonder the Rube Goldberg
contraption that is the LP production/playback chain, sounds as good as
it does at all.

Very true Steven, hats off to the technology and ingenuity that made
it possible. But (as you can no doubt tell) I, for one, have little
or no nostalgia for the LP, except that the great album cover art of
the 70s and 80s looked much better as a 12 inch square rather than the
postage-stamp size we now get on CD cases!

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 31, 6:07�am, Andrew Barss wrote:
wrote:

: In this case we are talking about the designers of turntables and
: pickup arms. So your position is that their beliefs on materials used
: in their designs is meaningless. I'll just let that stand on it's own.

Their asserted beliefs may be heartfelt (or they may be callous lies
used to help sell $50,000 turntables to ignorant but passionate
afficionados).

Do you really think the folks at SME are callous liars or the design
team from Continuum are ignorant? Please check these links before
answering.
http://www.sme.ltd.uk/content/History-1307.shtml
http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/aboutus.html
Page through the "meet the team" section. I really doubt those guys
are ignorant.

But belief isn't knowledge, as we've known since Plato.

If there is an audible effect, it would be easy for any decent
percentual psychologist to demonstrate in a lab with a double-blind
test. � To date, as I understand it, no such experimental proof has
been forthcoming. �

Given the fact that one such test has already been posted on this
thread I think it may be fair to say that your understanding may just
be a bit incomplete. But if you have any knowledge of any experimental
proof in the way of blind tests that suggest there is no audible
differences among different turntable designs or that materials used
make no audible difference please post it.

Those pricey turntables sure are pretty, though.

Some are. I wish mine was better looking.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Oct 31, 6:07�am, Andrew Barss

In this case we are talking about the designers of
turntables and pickup arms. So your position is that
their beliefs on materials used in their designs is
meaningless. I'll just let that stand on it's own.

Their asserted beliefs may be heartfelt (or they may be
callous lies used to help sell $50,000 turntables to
ignorant but passionate afficionados).

Do you really think the folks at SME are callous liars or
the design team from Continuum are ignorant?

I see no objective evidence that these tone arms provide lower distortion or
noise than *any* other tone arm with reasonable quality.

They are "Audio Jewelry" plain and simple.

I see no reliable subjective evidence, either.

For the purposes of this discussion, let the tonearm on my PCAVtech - tested
Rega turntable be the standard.

Anybody who as some well-done technical tests or a time-synched,
level-matched double-blind test result of tonearms, please post now or
forever hold your peace!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

I see no objective evidence that these tone arms provide lower distortion or
noise than *any* other tone arm with reasonable quality.

They are "Audio Jewelry" plain and simple.

I see no reliable subjective evidence, either.

For the purposes of this discussion, let the tonearm on my PCAVtech - tested
Rega turntable be the standard.

Anybody who as some well-done technical tests or a time-synched,
level-matched double-blind test result of tonearms, please post now or
forever hold your peace!

Let me get this straight. You're demanding participants undertake an
elaborate and difficult double-blind test to support their assertions,
or otherwise "forever" (!) hold their peace while - at the same time -
you respond to a request for meaningful quotes from material you cited
by stating:

I have zero reason to believe that any source I cite will receive fair,
insightful treatment.

Therefore, I have zero motivation to do people's homework for them.

So, you don't do "homework" for others, yet reserve for yourself the
right to make demands that others perform your research? And I can't
help but note that what was asked of you was an apparently trivial
undertaking, while you insist on an underatking that is beyond the
capability of the average audiophile.

And that's the problem with this discussion: it runs in circles and goes
nowhere. There is no dialog, only claims, counterclaims, thinly-veiled
name calling, posturing and pronouncements.

So, Mr. Krueger, I will not conduct your research for you because I'm
satisfied with the research I've already done. Neither do I accept your
demand that I "forever hold my peace" for declining to do your research.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Sonnova wrote:

...Vinyl playback, being an electro-mechanical endeavor is
fraught with problems caused by the interaction of the record with the
platter, the record with the stylus, the stylus with the cartridge body, and
the cartridge body with the arm. Even air and structure born feedback from
the speakers affect the resonances that add to or subtract from the vectored
output at the point where stylus motion is converted to voltage. EVERYTHING
affects it.

These things can affect LP playback, but the problems you cite are not
insurmountable. For that matter, the CD itself is also "fraught with
problems." But those difficulties are not inherent either.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"C. Leeds" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

snip

So, you don't do "homework" for others, yet reserve for yourself the
right to make demands that others perform your research? And I can't
help but note that what was asked of you was an apparently trivial
undertaking, while you insist on an underatking that is beyond the
capability of the average audiophile.

And that's the problem with this discussion: it runs in circles and goes
nowhere. There is no dialog, only claims, counterclaims, thinly-veiled
name calling, posturing and pronouncements.

So, Mr. Krueger, I will not conduct your research for you because I'm
satisfied with the research I've already done. Neither do I accept your
demand that I "forever hold my peace" for declining to do your research.

What you are running into here is the difference between science and
zealotry in the name of science. Several posters here have repeatedly shown
that they don't understand the difference.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Rob Tweed wrote:

...Ah those wonderful hours spent trying to get dust out of
your LP grooves, and you still found a great blob of it round the
stylus by the end of the LP no matter what you did...

A proper cleaning protocol will not produce this result.

... and you still
heard clicks and that awful groove noise on even your best cared-for
discs.

This sounds like a reflection of your cleaning protocol, even though I'm
not sure what "groove noise" is.

I, for one, have little
or no nostalgia for the LP...

That's easy to understand, given the problems you've explained.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

You are right. Vinyl playback, being an
electro-mechanical endeavor is fraught with problems
caused by the interaction of the record with the platter,
the record with the stylus, the stylus with the cartridge
body, and the cartridge body with the arm. Even air and
structure born feedback from the speakers affect the
resonances that add to or subtract from the vectored
output at the point where stylus motion is converted to
voltage. EVERYTHING affects it.

Everything affects *everything* in this universe. Clench your err... jaw,
and through the magic of scientific notation, there is a calculable effect
on Alpha Centuri.

I've measured the electrical current generated when you vibrate a table that
has an interconnect lying on it. It was really small, but I could measure it
and even do a spectral analysis of it.

But that's not the most important question. The most important question is
does it make something sound better? And, if there is no reliably audible
difference, then it doesn't make things sound better.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 31, 10:16�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 31, 6:07 am, Andrew Barss

In this case we are talking about the designers of
turntables and pickup arms. So your position is that
their beliefs on materials used in their designs is
meaningless. I'll just let that stand on it's own.

Their asserted beliefs may be heartfelt (or they may be
callous lies used to help sell $50,000 turntables to
ignorant but passionate afficionados).

Do you really think the folks at SME are callous liars or
the design team from Continuum are ignorant?

I see no objective evidence that these tone arms provide lower distortion or
noise than *any* other tone arm with reasonable quality.

This is yet another argument that uses faulty logic.
11. The Moving Goalpost A method of denial arbitrarily moving the
criteria for "proof" or acceptance out of range of whatever evidence
currently exists.
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/logicalfallacies.asp
But in this case you go even further and use your personal knowledge
as some sort of reference for all evidence that currently exists.
Given the fact that you were unaware of the study posted on this
thread "Toole, Floyd and Ian G. Masters. "Audiolab: Special Report:
Record Support Systems." Audio Canada. October 1981." A study that
used double blind listening tests and wrought results that run
contrary to your assertions, I think it is fair to say the reality of
the situation is quite indepependant of your knowledge base.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Andrew Barss wrote:

Their asserted beliefs may be heartfelt (or they may be callous lies
used to help sell $50,000 turntables to ignorant but passionate
afficionados)...
If there is an audible effect, it would be easy for any decent
percentual psychologist to demonstrate in a lab with a double-blind
test.

I don't know what a percentual psychologist is, or what his familiarity
with audio would be. But I can tell you this: conducting meaningful
double-blind tests of turntables and tonearms would be an elaborate,
difficult undertaking. Even if performed successfully, it would be of
little value to those who are already satisfied with their own, less
stringent, tests.

Of course, please feel free to conduct your own tests, and post the
results here. They would be interesting to review.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
wrote in message

On Oct 31, 6:07�am, Andrew Barss

[...]

I'm sorry, Arny, but you are the one claiming "no difference" versus an
almost universal belief among vinyl users that tonearms can make a
substantial difference in clarity and tonal balance, in addition to the
usual mechanical aspects such as resonant frequency, anti0skating, mass,
etc. It is up to you to back YOUR claim with a dbt showing "no difference"
under perfectly controlled and variable-neutral conditions.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:16:53 -0700, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

...Vinyl playback, being an electro-mechanical endeavor is
fraught with problems caused by the interaction of the record with the
platter, the record with the stylus, the stylus with the cartridge body,
and
the cartridge body with the arm. Even air and structure born feedback from
the speakers affect the resonances that add to or subtract from the
vectored
output at the point where stylus motion is converted to voltage. EVERYTHING
affects it.

These things can affect LP playback, but the problems you cite are not
insurmountable. For that matter, the CD itself is also "fraught with
problems." But those difficulties are not inherent either.

My point was that proper LP playback is not as trivial and Arny seems to
think it is. Of course, these difficulties aren't insurmountable but neither
are they irrelevant or simple.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:28:18 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

But it HAS to affect the sound. It either reinforces or subtracts amplitude
at certain frequencies.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rob Tweed" wrote in message
On 31 Oct 2008 01:20:57 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Rob Tweed wrote:

snip

Very true. Ah those wonderful hours spent trying to get dust out of
your LP grooves, and you still found a great blob of it round the
stylus by the end of the LP no matter what you did, and you still
heard clicks and that awful groove noise on even your best cared-for
discs. And that whole marketplace of gadgets and contrraptions that
claimed to restore your precious LPs to pristine condition. Anyone
want an old dust-bug? :-)

And god help you if you ever made the mistake of lending an LP to a
mate....!

I just put Judy Collins "Judith" on the turntable yesterday.... a record
that has been one of my most played, but one that has also been
"Last"-treated since it was new in 1975 or shortly thereafter. I listened
at the moderate (but not soft) level I normally do, and heard neither
surface noise nor scratches/pops until the last track, when one small barely
audible "pop" made itself known.

If you were an audiophile back in the sixties and seventies and treated your
records as well as they could be treated, you can still enjoy vinyl today
that is relatively clear of extraneous noise. And the rewards are
substantial....I can't put the record on without sitting to listen to the
whole side (especially side one, which ends with "Send in the Clowns")..the
superb music and audio reproduction just draw me in. On the other hand, I
have the CD and the few times I have played it my attention has wandered
immediately, and I don't think I've listened to it all the way through.

I can understand why those who collected and mistreated their records and
played them on cheap phonos with conical stylii welcomed the CD era....but
I'm afraid for many that has turned into bigotry agains the LP simply
because they never experienced the joy. And new audiophiles who wax
ecstatic over the virtuals of vinyl are simply discovering that joy.

snip

How to pirate a vinyl record mc Tech 0 May 22nd 06 11:44 PM
How to pirate a vinyl record Jeff Findley Tech 0 May 16th 06 03:06 PM
Vinyl record coating?? Wicked Pro Audio 23 June 16th 04 11:39 PM
Vinyl record coating?? Wicked Pro Audio 0 June 7th 04 01:56 AM
getting a 7" vinyl record pressed? zombu Pro Audio 13 April 5th 04 06:35 AM