Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhubarbe0@yahoo.com is offline

Default Best way/quality to record vinyl...

Hello,
I am a vinyl collector, and I have noticed the superior
quality of analogue records in terms of sound richness and
bass power, wrt digital.

I record my records to audio cassettes as follow:
- I prefer Chromium Oxide tapes (CrO2) for mono records: deep 50s or
60s grooves, especally for 45s, as well as early
stereo LP and 45s from late 60s, into mid-70s.

- I prefer Metal Position tapes (TYPE IV) to preserve the power of 80s
records as much as possible. So from late 70s (Disco era), through
80s, and especially 90s and 2000s music on vinyl, I find metal tapes
keep as much richness as possible.

The problem is I find hard (or almost impossible) to find
Metal tapes, or even Chromium tapes, these days, and
finding a new high-end tape deck seems more of a challenge.

If you feel vinyl is superior than digital, and you'd like to record
your records onto another analogue media, what do you do. Can we use
something else than audiotapes, and if so how is the quality wrt
audiotapes.

Thanks for sharing any experience.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 17, 6:21*pm, wrote:
[...]

You are really going down a path that few are traveling. Cassette
tapes are disappearing because of the perception that digital
recordings are considerably better than cassette recordings.
Measurements can easily show that to be the case but they are not
necessarily convincing. However, have you tried to make digital
recordings (using reasonably modern hardware) of your LPs and if so
have you been able to differentiate reliably between the LP and the
digital recording of it in some fashion to minimize sighted bias?

The sad truth regarding your situation is that analog recording media
are rapidly disappearing and there is little reason to assume that
high-quality analog media will be available in the future. Even
recording studios are currently having a hard time getting good media
for their 24-track analog tape systems because of the move to digital
by a preponderance of the other studios and tape manufacturers are
discontinuing production. Most new recordings will be recorded
digitally or will have at least had some digitital processing and
can't be considered purely analog recordings. You might find that
digital recordings of your LPs won't sound all that bad! :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

On 10/17/08 5:21 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

[...]

I've recorded a number of LP's onto my computer using a fairly inexpensive
sound card and Audacity, a free download. I burned these onto CD's and then
compared them with the LP playing directly through the system using the same
turntable and preamp that I used for the digital recording. Honestly, it's
extremely difficult to hear any difference at all between the two. All the
vinyl "richness" and other "superior qualities" are still there. As is the
surface noise and the subsonic woofer pumping.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Hello,
I am a vinyl collector, and I have noticed the superior
quality of analogue records in terms of sound richness and
bass power, wrt digital.

I record my records to audio cassettes as follow:
- I prefer Chromium Oxide tapes (CrO2) for mono records:
deep 50s or 60s grooves, especally for 45s, as well as
early stereo LP and 45s from late 60s, into mid-70s.

I've got a lot of experience with recording fresh material onto cassettes.
I'm talking 100's of recordings over a goodly number of years. When I go
back and audition them, they are an embarassment compared to what I do today
with the same sources recorded digitally.

The cassette format is incapable of what I consider to be high fidelity. If
the noise and lack of dynamic range doesn't drive you away, the modulation
noise should.

As little as I like the obvious audible limitations of the LP format, I
consider putting LPs onto cassettes to be a great loss of potential sound
quality. OTOH, putting LPs onto CDs is simply good stewardship of legacy
musical performances.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce[_2_] Robert Peirce[_2_] is offline

In article , wrote:

[...]

I used to record to cassette using good tape and top of the line
recorders. Digital is a much better way to preserve your vinyl. I have
been using a Korg MR-1 to transfer vinyl to digital. I transfer that to
my computer and burn a CD. I can't tell the CD from the vinyl, but I
can play it in my car!

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:59:53 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
Hello,
I am a vinyl collector, and I have noticed the superior
quality of analogue records in terms of sound richness and
bass power, wrt digital.

You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've noticed a
quality that you consider to sound superior. This could be the
different mastering used for LPs compared to CDs, or it could be
inherent sound qualities added by the vinyl medium and playback
devices, or it could be both. It is really quite *un*likely to
be any inherent deficit of digital or technical superiority of
LP.

If this guy IS laboring under a misapprehension, then he has plenty of
company. Lots of people agree with him. As I've said before, I have a number
of LPs which are far better sounding than the CDs eventually released of the
same performances.

If you feel vinyl is superior than digital, and you'd like to record
your records onto another analogue media, what do you do. Can we use
something else than audiotapes, and if so how is the quality wrt
audiotapes.

Recording to digital will certainly be superior in quality to
audiotapes, in terms of amount of added distortion.

Quite likely if you were to compare them blind, you'd find it
impossible to tell the LP from the CDR recording you made of the
LP. That's rather less likely for a cassette tape recording of an
LP.

That's true - unless the equipment used to dub the LP to CD is inferior to
the equipment used to listen to the LP, then the LP would still sound better
than the CD dub of it.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ger Ger is offline

On Oct 17, 8:04*pm, John Stone wrote:
On 10/17/08 5:21 PM, in article ,

" wrote:
[...]

That is DEFINITLY my experience, also.
And the CD burned 'Direct-From-LP' is not
only WAY better listening than the same disc in its available
commercial form.
It is also VERY close to listening to the vinyl plate itself.
Question:
I wonder how far we move 'down' or 'up' the scale of competing retail
charges for the analogue set-up (TT/cart/phonostage plus recorder set-
ups and corresponding and, will
reproduce the same overwhelmingly clear and evident result?
This is not an iff-y or 'subjective' account of musical pleasue. There
is distinctly more space and air and drive and presentation, damn near
everything, in the "Vinyl-Direct-To-CD."
I've never played the different versions for ANYONE who fails to note
a huge difference and improvement!
Comments?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

John Stone wrote:

I've recorded a number of LP's onto my computer using a fairly inexpensive
sound card and Audacity... All the
vinyl "richness" and other "superior qualities" are still there. As is the
surface noise and the subsonic woofer pumping.

That's not so much the vinyl talking as it is your
turntable/tonearm/cartridge. When recorded to CD from a good turntable
rig, it's actually amazing how CD-like LPs actually sound.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
just me just me is offline

On 2008-10-18, Ger wrote:
On Oct 17, 8:04Â*pm, John Stone wrote:
On 10/17/08 5:21 PM, in article ,

" wrote:
[...]

I've tossed a couple of vinyl to cd via a cd recorder because the commercial
cd was available; huge mistake as my xfer sounded better than the "newly
mastered" cd. The thing is that the recording "engineers"/producers
believe in messing with the original for their "musical" ideas/sound choices.

The surround sound is just as gimmicky in that whoever has the power to
dictate how the sound is produced; I don't believe that many people want to
be "in the middle of that action/orchestra/band".

Gerod Gerod is offline
Junior Member

Very good!!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Hello,
I am a vinyl collector, and I have noticed the superior
quality of analogue records in terms of sound richness
and bass power, wrt digital.

You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've
noticed a quality that you consider to sound superior.

I think this is only a partial explanation. When both are exploited there is
no question that the CD format can take bass to places where the LP could
never go. However, in the hands of humans, that can be either the good news
or the bad news.

This could be the different mastering used for LPs
compared to CDs, or it could be inherent sound qualities
added by the vinyl medium and playback devices, or it
could be both. It is really quite *un*likely to be any
inherent deficit of digital or technical superiority of
LP.

If this guy IS laboring under a misapprehension, then he
has plenty of company. Lots of people agree with him. As
I've said before, I have a number of LPs which are far
better sounding than the CDs eventually released of the
same performances.

I agree with the facts presented, but they are not necessarily
representative of the respective forms of media.

It's no secret that even highly-paid and well-known professional engineers
and producers can make mistakes and/or expedient choices. Now adays,
classical CDs are remastered by young engineers who wish they were working
with Britney. In the old days cutting masters were used to master CDs
because better masters couldn't be found at all, and there was a big rush
to market. In-between, there were bad days and good days. The human factor
can't be ignored when you don't have all the relevant facts at hand.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

On 10/18/08 10:28 PM, in article , "C. Leeds"
wrote:

John Stone wrote:

I've recorded a number of LP's onto my computer using a fairly inexpensive
sound card and Audacity... All the
vinyl "richness" and other "superior qualities" are still there. As is the
surface noise and the subsonic woofer pumping.

That's not so much the vinyl talking as it is your
turntable/tonearm/cartridge. When recorded to CD from a good turntable
rig, it's actually amazing how CD-like LPs actually sound.

Well, you totally missed my point, which was that recording vinyl onto a CD
could capture pretty much everything that was coming from the phono preamp.
As to your comment, it's hard for me to see how you can conclude from what I
wrote that I've got a lousy turntable/tonearm/cartridge. Surface noise,
ticks and pops, and subsonic output on record warps are a reality with vinyl
playback. Certainly, some poorly matched arms and cartridges, and turntables
with poor feedback isolation can make these problems even worse. I've also
experienced considerable differences between cartridges on audibility of
surface noise. My own vinyl setup, while admittedly not "the ultimate", is
certainly more than respectable; as is my separate phono preamp. As for Lp's
sounding CD-like, my experience is that some do, but many don't.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

John Stone wrote:

I've recorded a number of LP's onto my computer using a fairly inexpensive
sound card and Audacity... All the
vinyl "richness" and other "superior qualities" are still there. As is the
surface noise and the subsonic woofer pumping.

I answered:

That's not so much the vinyl talking as it is your
turntable/tonearm/cartridge. When recorded to CD from a good turntable
rig, it's actually amazing how CD-like LPs actually sound.

John Stone answers:
...it's hard for me to see how you can conclude from what I
wrote that I've got a lousy turntable/tonearm/cartridge.

I never said you had a lousy turntable/tonearm/cartridge. I said the
problems you complained about are caused as much by your equipment as by
your LPs.

Surface noise,
ticks and pops, and subsonic output on record warps are a reality with vinyl
playback.

Sure, if you have LPs that have been improperly handled or maintained,
or if you buy your LPs used from dicey sources, or if your turntable
lacks a proper clamping system, then you will have these problems, no
doubt. But these problems are not really an inherent audible problem
with proper LP playback.

Certainly, some poorly matched arms and cartridges, and turntables
with poor feedback isolation can make these problems even worse.

Quite so.

I've also
experienced considerable differences between cartridges on audibility of
surface noise.

Me too. Stylus shape has a lot to do with that.

As for Lp's
sounding CD-like, my experience is that some do, but many don't.

Agreed. Just as there are well made CDs and poorly made CDs, there are
well made LPs and poorly made LPs.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

" wrote:
[...]

Well, the 'original' is the master tape version...you don't tend to hear that on LP
either.

The surround sound is just as gimmicky in that whoever has the power to
dictate how the sound is produced; I don't believe that many people want to
be "in the middle of that action/orchestra/band".

Surround mixes don't necessarily do that...e.g., the surround version of
the famous Kleiber Beethoven 5th doesn't.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Hello,
I am a vinyl collector, and I have noticed the superior
quality of analogue records in terms of sound richness and
bass power, wrt digital.

You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've noticed a
quality that you consider to sound superior. This could be the
different mastering used for LPs compared to CDs, or it could be
inherent sound qualities added by the vinyl medium and playback
devices, or it could be both. It is really quite *un*likely to
be any inherent deficit of digital or technical superiority of
LP.

If this guy IS laboring under a misapprehension, then he has plenty of
company. Lots of people agree with him. As I've said before, I have a number
of LPs which are far better sounding than the CDs eventually released of the
same performances.

A widespread misapprehension -- that it's something 'wrong' with CD
per se -- is still a misapprehension. It's not unusual for lots of peopel
to employ faulty reasoning. Most people have no clue about what
'mastering' is in the first place, for example, and why it could
account for virtually all of the difference they hear.

If you feel vinyl is superior than digital, and you'd like to record
your records onto another analogue media, what do you do. Can we use
something else than audiotapes, and if so how is the quality wrt
audiotapes.

Recording to digital will certainly be superior in quality to
audiotapes, in terms of amount of added distortion.

Quite likely if you were to compare them blind, you'd find it
impossible to tell the LP from the CDR recording you made of the
LP. That's rather less likely for a cassette tape recording of an
LP.

That's true - unless the equipment used to dub the LP to CD is inferior to
the equipment used to listen to the LP, then the LP would still sound better
than the CD dub of it.

Pathological conditions are alwyas possible, but they don't alter the truth of the principle.
In the old days, one had to monitor levels, for example; one still does.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

On Oct 20, 9:50*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Sonnova wrote:

Quite likely if you were to compare them blind, you'd find it
impossible to tell the LP from the CDR recording you made of the
LP. That's rather less likely for a cassette tape recording of an

I have a Pioneer standalone CD recorder which I bought secondhand on
Ebay for around $250. It is coupled into my hi-fi system so that I
can record direct from my turntable - a Thorens TD 126 MkII, with a
Sumiko Premier tone-arm and Ortofon cartridge (plus a separate
headshell with Shure N44-3 for 78 shellacs). I don't want to be
endlessly lugging my turntable from living-room to computer-room, so
this system suits me just fine.
The Pioneer uses the special 'digital audio for consumer' CD-blanks
which are a bit dearer than standard blanks, and can be difficult
sometimes to find. I have however removed that difficulty by using
'digital audio for consumer CD-RW' discs, which can be reformatted and
used again.
After recording, I simply take the disc and pop it into the computer
using EAC, and then put it through a mild declicking process using
Adobe Audition. Mild only as I don't want to unduly tamper with the
vinyl sound. I then burn onto a standard CD, and reformat my special
RW disc for later use.
The result can be breathtaking. All the great warmth and strength of
the original vinyl, less the sometimes intrusive clicks and surface
noise.
Where I have early 'official' CD transfers of analog material, my own
transfer is almost always better -- clearer and with tangible 3-
dimensional presence. I think standard CD transfers in the early years
were spoiled by transfer engineers who either destroyed ambience by
aiming for ultra-cleanliness -- or, as with early transfers of The
Rolling Stones' 60s material, and early Dylan material, by just not
bothering to source the original master-tapes.
So go digital for your transfers. Your ears will love you!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"C. Leeds" wrote:

John Stone wrote:

I've recorded a number of LP's onto my computer using a fairly inexpensive
sound card and Audacity... All the
vinyl "richness" and other "superior qualities" are still there. As is the
surface noise and the subsonic woofer pumping.

That's not so much the vinyl talking as it is your
turntable/tonearm/cartridge. When recorded to CD from a good turntable
rig, it's actually amazing how CD-like LPs actually sound.

To the extent that there is any difference at all, it may be due to the
lack of acoustic feedback from the speakers to the disc, in the case of
vinyl.

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Sonnova wrote:

[...]

'Ambience' on a pop/rock studio recordings is usually artificial anyway. It's added
by the recording engineer(s)

For live recordings, a 'clean' digital 2-channel recording will capture the original
'ambience' as well as the master tape did (which is to say, only moderately
well, given the limits of 2-channel) -- but transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic
distortion inherent in vinyl playback.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Oct 17, 6:21*pm, wrote:
[...]

Mpffff....

I keep a Revox A77 in excellent & well-maintained condition.
A revox B710 cassette deck - similar.
A Tascam 3-head cassette deck - similar.

Occasionally, I record vinyl.

Both Revoxs sound better than the Tascam.
*WITH VINYL*, the differences between the cassette and the RtR are a
close-run thing. The Dolby system accounts for most of that closeness.
Without it, the RtR is hands-down superior in every way except expense
and handling and indexing and storage...

Neither is very satisfactory as compared to a recording to digital
media, done properly - even with an inexpensive Philips recording CD
player.

All consumer-recording media have their issues, real or perceived,
with longevity. I expect that modern digital media will very likely
last as long as or longer than any magnetic medium with less
environmental sensitivity.

You pays you money, you takes you chances.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Cassettes are easier to store and are *about* as good as the original
vinyl all other things being equal.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 17, 3:21�pm, wrote:
[...]

If you want to record to an analogue medium it pretty much has to be
some sort of tape. the only non tape analog recording medium I can
think of would be a cutting lathe and blank laquers. I don't think
that is very practical although it may be a lot of fun. If you are
having trouble finding the blank casstte tapes you want you may have
to go to reel to reel. This is one source for blank tapes that ought
to meet your needs.
http://www.oaktreeent.com/Reel-To-Reel_Tape.htm
There are plenty of excellent reel to reel recorders out there to
choose from.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

...transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic
distortion inherent in vinyl playback.

Please tell us how you know about this distortion that is "inherent" in
LP playback. What playback equipment have you used to determine this?
Please be specific: turntables, pickup arms, phono cartridges, phono
preamplifiers. Because you claim this playback characteristic is
"inherent," you must have experimented with more than one playback
system. Did you conduct any measurements which document your claim? If
so, please share. Have you mastered any LPs yourself, or participated in
the LP mastering process, that further establishes the veracity of your
claim? If so, are these recordings that we can purchase and listen to
ourselves?

I'd also be interested in what physical properties of LP playback result
in this "inherent" result. Surely, you must have a theory or two.

Or, as I suspect, is this claim simply opinion stated as fact?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:16:38 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

On Oct 17, 3:21�pm, wrote:
[...]

You know, it would be fun to find a discarded professional disc-cutter and
all of the ancillaries and set it up. But then, a stand-alone CD burner is
less trouble and most certainly superior! But (sigh) cutting one's own stereo
LP would be fun.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

[...]

There is another option between 'just my opinion' and 'I have personally
measured and verified the existence of these phenomena" -
knowledge passed on from trusted authorities. I daresay most of what
you have ever learned formally in your life, falls into that latter category.

So, just to be clear before we begin, woudl I be correct to believe that,
as far as you'e concerned, and despite the many times you have shared newsgroup
space with with folks like, say, Stewart Pinkerton or JJ, that you think LP euphonic
distortion is an urban legend without objective basis or
documentation? And there is some combination of rig + vinyl that
exhibits no such distortions?

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)
Angus Stewart Pinkerton Angus Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rempstone, Leicestershire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sullivan View Post
C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

[...]

Surface noise is of course inherent to vinyl, at a level some 20-30dB higher than from a good CD. Inner groove distortion is inherent to vinyl, as the groove speed reduces and hence the physical wavelength of a signal is less than half that at the outer grooves, affecting treble response even on the most knife-edged of stylii. Wow is inherent to vinyl unless you have perfect centricity of the hole and a very tight fit to the spindle. Warp wow is not *inherent* to vinyl, but is very common. Tracing distortion is inherent to any vinyl rig not using a linear tracking tonearm, though they have their own issues.

To question any of the above is to be in a state of denial, however much you might *like* the distinctive *colourations* of vinyl. Anyone who claims that his replay system has successfully avoided these issues, is left with one obvious question - why not just use CD, which suffers none of these problems and must therefore sound *identical* to such a nonpareil vinyl system?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

On Oct 17, 3:21�pm, wrote:
[...]

There's more work -- and cost -- there than you may appreciate. A
"professional" cutting system is more-or-less a roomful of electronics
with a cutting lathe at one end. Not the least requirement is the
continuous flow of helium through the cutter head, to keep it from
melting (helium can carry away a *lot* more heat than "air").

Check a good reference, such as John Eargle's book on recording
(probably long out of print).

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

...transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic
distortion inherent in vinyl playback.

I asked:

Please tell us how you know about this distortion that is "inherent" in
LP playback. What playback equipment have you used to determine this?
Please be specific...
I'd also be interested in what physical properties of LP playback result
in this "inherent" result....

Or, as I suspect, is this claim simply opinion stated as fact?

Mr. Sullivan answers:

There is another option between 'just my opinion' and 'I have personally
measured and verified the existence of these phenomena" -
knowledge passed on from trusted authorities.

Please feel free to cite other sources if you lack first-hand experience
to justify your claims. Please be specific.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"C. Leeds" wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:

[...]

Nothing to do with the type of equipment used; it's theoretically
provable. Check a good reference on the problems with capturing audio to
grooves.

Isaac
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"C. Leeds" wrote in message
Steven Sullivan wrote:

snip

Or, as I suspect, is this claim simply opinion stated as fact?

Mr. Sullivan answers:

There is another option between 'just my opinion' and 'I have personally
measured and verified the existence of these phenomena" -
knowledge passed on from trusted authorities.

Please feel free to cite other sources if you lack first-hand experience
to justify your claims. Please be specific.

I think you'll find this group nowadays largely populated with folks quoting
"settled science", "trusted authorities", "well-proven" etc.in support of
the conventional wisdom. But when you ask for specifics, suddenly
conventional wisdom seems more like pass-along verities than it does
science.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I own a Systemdek IIX table with a Shure V15TuypeIVMR cart, have done for decades now.
It's basically mothballed, since the digital revolution, only hauled out to transfer the
occasional LP to digital.

As to other sources, the aforementioned James Johnston and Steware Pinkerton, for two. Please
feel free to acknowledge the fact that you've encountered them and their arguments
before, on, for example, this thread discussing LP sound:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...bf206f370e89b5

I wouldn't expect you to have read these next posts of JJs, though. PLease do, since you
asked.

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...&postcount=269
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12206518
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12207540
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13631037
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12246164

Another source are ancient articles in JAES, back in the bad old days when LP was
the primary format. Like this one:

Performance Characteristics of the Commercial Stereo Disc
Volume 17 Number 4 pp. 416-422; August 1969
The study examines the state of the art in processing master lacquers through the intermediate
stages of metal plating on through to vinyl pressing. Detailed noise and distortion
measurements at each interface are described, and the effects of normal variations in
processes as well as changes in materials are noted.

More recently, this series of articles, including measurements:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...rts-6---8.html

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

Steven Sullivan wrote:

...transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some,
'ambience' of its own, via euphonic distortion inherent
in vinyl playback.

Please tell us how you know about this distortion that is
"inherent" in LP playback.

It is well-described in the techical literature. See the writings of Bauer,
etc.

It is easy to measure.

It is often clearly audible.

What playback equipment have
you used to determine this? Please be specific:
turntables, pickup arms, phono cartridges, phono
preamplifiers.

Equipment lists are unnecessary because there is no equipment that can avoid
it, given that it is inherent in the medium.

Because you claim this playback
characteristic is "inherent," you must have experimented
with more than one playback system.

Starting with my first system that was based on an Audio Empire 108, to my
last system that based on a Shure V15 IV.

I have a number of friends who have also done independent measurements on
their own equipment. One of them even found a new kind of fairly severe
nonlinear distortion due to the use of offset tone arms. He had a paper
published in the JAES, meaning that his findings were recognized as being
factual by the AES review board. His name? Kilmanis. His co-author was
Rabinow, the Rab in Rabco.

Did you conduct any
measurements which document your claim?

Yes, but doing so was a bit silly on my part, given that I was already aware
of its existence via my own ears. You mean, you don't hear it?

All you need is a good test LP like the HFN test LP, a PC with a modern
audio interface, some DAW software like CoolEdit/Audition (I think Audacity
will suffice) and the LP playback equipment of your choice to measure the
inherent technical problems of the LP portrayed before you, if somehow your
ears don't already inform you well enough.

If so, please
share. Have you mastered any LPs yourself, or
participated in the LP mastering process, that further
establishes the veracity of your claim?

The mastering engineers that I have had personal contact with over the years
were well-aware of many of these problems. The technical literature for
mastering equipment often mentions how these problems are being addressed,
but not solved as they are inherently unsolvable.

The general solution for the inherent distortion, noise and producability
problems of the LP has been on the market for about 25 years. It is called
the Redbook CD format and it is generally accepted to be highly effective.
There are any number of papers, measurements, and listening tests that you
can examine that support these claims.

I'd also be interested in what physical properties of LP
playback result in this "inherent" result. Surely, you
must have a theory or two.

No new theories are necessary, given all the technical literature about the
inherent technical problems with the LP that has been published over the
years. Check the JAES archives, for example. Search under author name =
Bauer.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

Mr. Sullivan answers:

There is another option between 'just my opinion' and 'I
have personally measured and verified the existence of
these phenomena" -
knowledge passed on from trusted authorities.

Please feel free to cite other sources if you lack
first-hand experience to justify your claims. Please be
specific.

AES E-Library: The High-Fidelity Phonograph Transducer by Bauer, Benjamin B.
The High-Fidelity Phonograph Transducer
JAES Volume 25 Issue 10/11 pp. 729-748; November 1977

AES E-Library: -Tonearm Geometry and Frequency-Modulation Distortion- and
Discussion by Kilmanas, Raymond; Rabinow, J.
-Tonearm Geometry and Frequency-Modulation Distortion- and Discussion
JAES Volume 30 Issue 9 pp. 574-579; September 1982

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
UnsteadyKen[_3_] UnsteadyKen[_3_] is offline

Sonnova wrote...

But (sigh) cutting one's own stereo
LP would be fun.

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/recorders/vrx2000.html

Do let us know how you get on.

I wonder how things would have developed if Berliners
flat disc had not caught on. 1 hour recordings on 3 foot
long cylinders perhaps.Admittedly storage would be a problem, but
look at the advantages: Easy stylus setup, no end of side
distortion.Audiophile recordings issued on 2 ft diameter cylinders.
Another lost opportunity by the audio industry.

http://www.tinfoil.com/

--
Ken

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/buddyduck/
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 21, 12:00�pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
[...]

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e_frm/thread/6...

There is nothing I could find in that thread stated by either
Pinkerton or JJ that supports the assertion of the existance of
inherent euphonic colorations in vinyl.

I wouldn't expect you to have read these next posts of JJs, though. PLease do, since you
asked.

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...&postcount=269
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12206518
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12207540
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13631037
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12246164

JJ makes the following specific claims in the posts you cited

"But LP can sound like it has more dynamic range, because of the
distortion/loudness growth issues. Likewise, it can have a wider, more
complex soundstage for the same reasons. Many LP playback systems do
enhancement of the L-R part of the stereo signal due to both stylus
beam pivot issues as well as cartridge design issues."

There is nothing in there that says or even implies that these things
are inherent. "LP *can* sound like it has more dynamic range...."
That simply does not claim or even imply that it is an inherent
quality of LP playback. It simply is an assertion that it *can*
happen.

JJ however goes on to make some assertions that are at best vague if
not misleading or simply factually incorrect.

"LP can not have substantial low bass content in stereo. It's physics.
So it gets mono'ed and limited. LP's can not provide nearly the
dynamic range of a CD. So LP's to some extent have to be compressed,
but not by a lot. "

"Substantial" is too vague a word in this context to have any real
meaning. The fact is most LPs have not had their bass summed to mono.
this is a bit of an urban legend. It is also a fact that many an
audiophile LP has been cut in full stereo with bass content that many
inculding myself would argue is quite substantial.

JJ makes a very interesting assertion here about a euphonic coloration
of vinyl

"LP's distort more (percentagewise, whateverwise) at higher levels. A
polynomial model, in fact, seems to do a good representation of this
until outright mistracking happens. The model is different for M and S
(not L and R). This also turns out to be important, but not for the
reason we're discussing here.

This means that at low levels, the distortion is not very noticible.
At high levels, with the usual kind of lowpassy audio signal one sees
most often,it means that the spectrum will spread approximately two
octaves higher, with some substantial energy there. This means that
even though the energy will grow a bit, the loudness grows quite a
bit.

This creates the ILLUSION of more dynamic range.

You can do the same thing by taking a sine wave at, say, 100 Hz, and
starting to clip it. As you start to clip it, which has to absolutely
result in less total energy, you will notice quickly that it gets
LOUDER, not quieter, at first. This is another example (more extreme)
of the same effect."

While there seems to be some implication of universality here it isn't
clear or explicit.

JJ makes clear assertions about the existance and effects of inherent
euphonic colorations of vinyl.

"An LP does, demonstrably, have distortions that sound good. This is
not news, this is something long since documented. Now, there's
nothing wrong with liking those distortions, which in fact increase
the sense of dynamic range and all-over spatial effect, among other
things, but wouldn't it be better to add them to CD if you want to?
And understand what you're doing?"

Of course the big problem with all of this is it is pure testimonial.
As it stands in your post it is an argument by authority a classic
logical fallacy.
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/logicalfallacies.asp
"Argument from authority Stating that a claim is true because a person
or group of perceived authority says it is true. Often this argument
is implied by emphasizing the many years of experience, or the formal
degrees held by the individual making a specific claim. It is
reasonable to give more credence to the claims of those with the
proper background, education, and credentials, or to be suspicious of
the claims of someone making authoritative statements in an area for
which they cannot demonstrate expertise. But the truth of a claim
should ultimately rest on logic and evidence, not the authority of the
person promoting it. "

That is not to say JJ is incorrect in any of his assertions about the
inherent euphonic colorations of vinyl. It simply isn't the sort of
citation that really supports your assertions. I think it would be
great to find the actual documentation JJ refered to. Without that
sort of data from which to make assertions, we run the risk of
unknowingly promoting urban legend.

Another source are ancient articles in JAES, back in the bad old days when LP was
the primary format. Like this one:

Performance Characteristics of the Commercial Stereo Disc
Volume 17 Number 4 pp. 416-422; August 1969
The study examines the state of the art in processing master lacquers through the intermediate
stages of metal plating on through to vinyl pressing. Detailed noise and distortion
measurements at each interface are described, and the effects of normal variations in
processes as well as changes in materials are noted.

1969? That would strike as rather dated. I think it is simply unfair
to assume there has been no advancement in the state of the art of
laquer cutting and vinyl playback. By most accounts there has been
substantial incrimental improvements in both technologies over the
past forty years. I hope you wouldn't assert that SOTA playback from
1969 is even in the same ballpark as the Rockport Sirius III or the
offerings from Continuum. I suggest you read some of the cutting edge
technology that goes into their rigs.
http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/

More recently, this series of articles, including measurements:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...s/vinyl-vs.-cd...

An interesting article but it fails to go the whole nine yards and do
controlled listening tests that isolate the alleged distortion and
gauge it's effect on listeners. As I have said in another thread I
started, I don't doubt the existance of inherent colorations of vinyl
nor do I doubt the existance of euphonic colorations. as to inherent
colorations in vinyl being in some cases euphonic, I think it is a
reasonable theory but I have yet to see any meaningful listening tests
that support it.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Another ref about vinyl-realted distortion, to add, courtesy of Arny:

Kilmanas, Raymond; Rabinow, J.
Tonearm Geometry and Frequency-Modulation Distortion- and Discussion
JAES Volume 30 Issue 9 pp. 574-579; September 1982

btw, Arny, a reply to your email bounced.

and here's a JAES golden oldie

Clark, H. A. M.; Dutton, G. F.; Vanderlyn, P. B.
The 'Stereosonic' Recording and Reproducing System: A Two-Channel Systems for Domestic Tape
Records
JAES Volume 6 Issue 2 pp. 102-117; April 1958

and some miscellanea

Lip****z, Stanley P.
Impulse Response of the Pickup Arm-Cartridge System
JAES Volume 26 Issue 1/2 pp. 20-35; February 1978

Anderson, Roger
Some Aspects of Wear and Calibration of Test Records
JAES Volume 9 Issue 2 pp. 111-114; April 1961

Shiga, Takeo
Deformation Distortion in Disc Records
JAES Volume 14 Issue 3 pp. 208-217; July 1966

(this article spawned a subset of others:
Cooper, Duane H.
Comments on and Corrections to: "Deformation Distortion in Disc Records"
JAES Volume 16 Issue 4 p. 479; October 1968

White, James V.
An Experimental Study of Groove Deformation in Phonograph Records
JAES Volume 18 Issue 5 pp. 497-506; October 1970

Barlow, Donald A.; Garside, Gerald R.
Groove Deformation and Distortion in Recordings
JAES Volume 26 Issue 7/8 pp. 498-510; August 1978

Barlow, D. A.
More About "Groove Deformation and Distortion in Records"
JAES Volume 27 Issue 3 p. 164; March 1979

Daniel W.; Gust, Arthur J.; Bauer, Benjamin B.
The Dynamic Range of Disc and Tape Records
JAES Volume 18 Issue 5 pp. 530-535; October 1970

Jakobs, Bernhard W.
Analysis of Crosstalk on Stereo Test Records
JAES Volume 19 Issue 4 pp. 280-287; April 1971

Barlow, D. A.
More About "Groove Deformation and Distortion in Records"
JAES Volume 27 Issue 3 p. 164; March 1979

finally, this 'look to the future' circa 1977:

Stockham, Jr., Thomas G.
Records of the Future
JAES Volume 25 Issue 10/11 pp. 892-895; November 1977
The nature of our future phonograph records will probably be tied strongly to future technical
innovations. Right now the most dramatic technical change for the long term would seem to be
digital audio. The concurrent evolutions in computer technologies and consumer video recording
might point to the advent of digital audio records. This paper outlines the possibilities in
general terms.

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can
seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit
the falsity of conclusions which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have
woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life -- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

...transcribing that to LP will
actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic
distortion inherent in vinyl playback.

I asked:

Please tell us how you know about this distortion that is "inherent" in
LP playback....

Mr. Sullivan answers:

(snipped)...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...bf206f370e89b5

I wouldn't expect you to have read these next posts of JJs, though. PLease do, since you
asked.

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...&postcount=269
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12206518
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12207540
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13631037
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12246164

(snip)
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...rts-6---8.html

Perhaps I missed it, but I see nothing in these posts to support your
claim of inherent, audible "distortion inherent in vinyl playback."

If the proof is there, please post it here.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

oops, forgot to include these BB Bauer refs --

Bauer, Benjamin B.; Schwartz, Arnold; Gust, Arthur J.
Transient Response and Intermodulation Studies in Phonograph Reproduction
JAES Volume 11 Issue 2 pp. 110-114; April 1963

Bauer, Benjamin B.
Groove Echo in Lacquer Masters
JAES Volume 19 Issue 10 pp. 847-850; November 1971

Gravereaux, Daniel W.; Gust, Arthur J.; Bauer, Benjamin B.
Phase-Shift Characteristics of Record Cutters and Pickups
JAES Volume 20 Issue 1 pp. 15-18; February 1972

Bauer, Benjamin B.
The High-Fidelity Phonograph Transducer
JAES Volume 25 Issue 10/11 pp. 729-748; November 1977

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can
seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit
the falsity of conclusions which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have
woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life -- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message

Woofer pumping is a real issue for vinyl.

There are three sources of this problem - warped records , tone arm
resonance, and acoustic feedback.

As others have pointed out, digital transcriptions provide an effective
means for avoiding acoustic feedback. Digital processing can also help
mitigate the problems related to tone arm resonance and warping of the
record.

Now my rig is not 15K, but I'd
like to see someone prove to me that a solution for
woofer pumping without compromising bass reproduction in
vinyl playback has been developed.

(1) Do a digital transcription with your speakers turned off.

(2) Use FFT analysis to determine the nature of any spurious low-frequency

(3) Use digital filtering to manage to low frequency spurious responses.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
C. Leeds wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
[...]

No, much of it is general knowlege among people who are familiar with the
technical literature of the vinyl LP, some of which I've cited here on a
number of occasions, including the last two days.

More recently, this series of articles, including
measurements:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/featu...s/vinyl-vs.-cd...

These articles substantiate many of the things that JJ said.

An interesting article but it fails to go the whole nine
yards and do controlled listening tests that isolate the
alleged distortion and gauge it's effect on listeners.

The articles explain why subjective tests must fail to provide definitive
results. Basically, LPs are so sonically flawed in characteristic ways that
listeners will often be able to identify which format they are listening to,
and the so-called blind listening test will not be effectively blind, and
will degenerate into a public opinion survey.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 6:01 am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
"C. Leeds" wrote in message

Steven Sullivan wrote:
snip
Or, as I suspect, is this claim simply opinion stated as fact?

Mr. Sullivan answers:

There is another option between 'just my opinion' and 'I have
personally
measured and verified the existence of these phenomena" -
knowledge passed on from trusted authorities.

Please feel free to cite other sources if you lack first-hand
experience
to justify your claims. Please be specific.

I think you'll find this group nowadays largely populated with folks
quoting
"settled science", "trusted authorities", "well-proven" etc.in support of
the conventional wisdom. But when you ask for specifics, suddenly
conventional wisdom seems more like pass-along verities than it does
science.

You mean specifics like this statement, "That's not so much the vinyl
talking as it is your turntable/tonearm/cartridge." in response to
experience with problems like subsonic woofer pumping. I've seen
recent comments in forums like
it requires $15K minimum to obtain a decent vinyl playback system.

I find these comments more than guilty in the lack of specifics and
substance
department.
So let me add my own experience to the discussion. Woofer pumping is
a real issue for vinyl. I was aware of it when using my downfiring
sub by occasionally putting my ear near the port. Now with my open
baffle Orions (no sub) I can easily see the issue in action and it is
clearly record dependent. Now my rig is not 15K, but I'd like to see
someone prove to me that a solution for woofer pumping without
comprimising bass reproduction in vinyl playback has been developed.
I have insured my arm and cart are well matched and tested it
myself. IME, it isn't the rig, its the records. If not, explain
why some records are so much worse than others?

I don't have enough experience with woofer pumping to know who is right, but
I suspect it probably is a record warp or cutting issue. However, to me the
really relevant issues beyond what causes it, is:does it matter:

* Does it affect what you hear?
* Is it inaudible (consciously) but somehow still intereferes with enjoyment
of the music?

If so, then it is a strike against vinyl. If not, then it offers no favor
to CD.

And my guess is there has been NO scientific work done to provide answers to
those questions.

Harry

How to pirate a vinyl record mc Tech 0 May 22nd 06 11:44 PM
How to pirate a vinyl record Jeff Findley Tech 0 May 16th 06 03:06 PM
Vinyl record coating?? Wicked Pro Audio 23 June 16th 04 11:39 PM
Vinyl record coating?? Wicked Pro Audio 0 June 7th 04 01:56 AM
getting a 7" vinyl record pressed? zombu Pro Audio 13 April 5th 04 06:35 AM