Ken

Default Areas to cover for most effective interior noise reduction?

Looking for opinions on which areas to cover for noise reduction in
the cabin of a SUV. The goal is to increase the pick-up of the
microphone on my handsfree kit. So I'm not looking to cover the
entire cabin with dampening material. Please rank areas in
effectiveness of noise reduction.

Here's my inital swag:
1. Floor specifically tire wells
2. Hood
3. Firewall

I've seen the dynamat demo with the bell and piece of dynamat to
reduce resonance. Based on that demo, would it be possible to simply
cover parts of each area to reduce noise?

Thanks in advance!
Tha Ghee

"Ken" wrote in message
om...
Looking for opinions on which areas to cover for noise reduction in
the cabin of a SUV. The goal is to increase the pick-up of the
microphone on my handsfree kit. So I'm not looking to cover the
entire cabin with dampening material. Please rank areas in
effectiveness of noise reduction.

Here's my inital swag:
1. Floor specifically tire wells
2. Hood
3. Firewall

I've seen the dynamat demo with the bell and piece of dynamat to
reduce resonance. Based on that demo, would it be possible to simply
cover parts of each area to reduce noise?

Thanks in advance!

There are two approaches to SD, the total vehicle covering or, going where
there is major sound intrusion or little metal. The best places to start
are firewall, doors, and sub/spk. location.

Nousaine

"Ken" wrote in message

. com...
Looking for opinions on which areas to cover for noise reduction in
the cabin of a SUV. The goal is to increase the pick-up of the
microphone on my handsfree kit. So I'm not looking to cover the
entire cabin with dampening material. Please rank areas in
effectiveness of noise reduction.

Here's my inital swag:
1. Floor specifically tire wells
2. Hood
3. Firewall

I've seen the dynamat demo with the bell and piece of dynamat to
reduce resonance. Based on that demo, would it be possible to simply
cover parts of each area to reduce noise?

That demo, like the one with the cymbal, takes a very resonant high-Q device,
which is inherently easy todamp, to make a point about that doesn't mimic the
environment in which the product will be used.

I've conducted an experiment (brand new Z-28) where it received $1600 dynamat
(this was in 1993) 'pro' treatment and found that with careful before and after
full spectrum measurements there was effectively no noise reduction in the
cabin interior except for a small reduction of tire whine on rain grooved
pavement.

The single most effective thing that can be done is to use a hood liner if you
don't already have one, because motor noise can be transmitted through the
windshield.

In all but the most extreme situations damping material doesn't have enough
mass to reduce noise. Even resonating panels can be more effectively 'damped'
with a judiciously placed clamp (try tightening, or installing, all the
original fasteners first) than with a layer of damping material. For example in
the bell demo didn't you find that pinching the lip of the bell just as
effective as the dynamat?

Also at higher speeds wind noise is often a major contributor somake sure your
windows all seal tightly and the weather stripping is properly seated.

Reducing noise in a car is very difficult, if it weren't then cars would be
made quieter at the factory. Higher priced Toyotas are very quiet (Lexus,
Avalon, Camry) because plenty of effort has gone into making them that way. On
the other hand, lower priced Toyotas, such as the Matrix, are noisy as hell.

Other than that you can always attempt to reduce noise at the source .....
quieter exhaust systems and quieter tires.

But you might also consider investigating your microphone location.

Other that getting more quiet tires
Thanks in advance!

Ken

Thanks for the responses.

I looked into some dampening material, and went with the hoodliner and
dampening material from B-Quiet. It's probably not the best stuff, but its a
start. My plan is to cover the firewall, tire wells, as much of the floor and
the hood. Hopefully this will cut down the noise to make the handsfree device
a little more usable.

Unfortunately, I just bought some aggressive tires to deal with off-roading and
snow. I'm hoping that I can put enough dampening material on the four tire
wells to reduce the noise.

The microphone is currently placed above the rearview mirror. I may try to put
it on the driver side pillar. Any recommendations?

Thanks, again for the advice. Still very open to suggestions!

(Nousaine) wrote:

.com...