Sylvain Robitaille

Default Fostex RD8 ADAT recorder: replacement LCD display needed

Hello,

I'm in search of a replacement LCD display for a Fostex RD8 digital
multitrack (ADAT) recorder. Mine went flaky this weekend and at this
point the display is perpetually blank.

I contacted Fostex America, and they indicated that they no longer have
parts for this model, but had sold all remaining parts to a company in
Los Angeles. I contacted that company, and they apparently do have the
part I need in stock, but will not sell it directly to me, preferring
instead to charge me a flat rate of $165 (USD) to have them replace it
for me (it's three screws and one multi-pin connector, folks!), or to
sell only through another service center.

If someone knows of the availability of a replacement LCD display module
for a Fostex RD8, preferably in Canada, though in the US would be almost
as good (getting stuff from the US usually takes longer than getting
stuff that's already in Canada...), I'd really appreciate any and all
pointers.

Thanks ...

Sylvain Robitaille

Systems analyst Concordia University
Sylvain Robitaille

Mike Rivers wrote:

You might try Studio Maintenance Center in the San Francisco area, San
Rafael last I recall. If Stan doesn't have one to sell you, you'll
just have to bite the bullet if you want to keep the recorder working.

Thanks. I've also gotten a local contact which I'll try first, but I'll
definitely keep this place in mind in case I need to try another lead.
I appreciate your having taken the time to respond.

Sometimes you just have to open your wallet and swallow your pride
when it comes to maintenance of old equipment.

I can agree to that, but there's a bit of a difference between opening
my wallet and handing my wallet over as I reach down to grab my ankles!

The "haves" have, and you have not.

True. Some haves are more willing to share than others, and those that
are most willing to share are most likely to get my return business ...

One consideration that should not be overlooked is how long will I be
unable to use the recorder if I ship it to California for repair, versus
if I replace the part myself. I'll state with complete certainty that I
can replace a part faster than it would take to ship the unit there
and back and have someone else replace the same part. In the meantime,
it's quite inconvenient to not have the LCD display, but the machine
still otherwise functions.

(syl, now really wishing he had purchased more of these when he had the
chance ... at least I could use another as a master drive in the
meantime...)