Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Servicing a Midas Venice

I finally got round to properly opening up my local venue's old Midas
Venice with a view to replacing a few scratchy and intermittent pots.

I had a rough expectation of what to expect internally having seen
inside more than a few consoles.

I was however utterly stunned by this one.

Those familiar with the art of M C Escher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurits_Cornelis_Escher

Would immediately recognise his influence.

How about connectors mounted on the opposite side of the board that
faces you for example ?

The way it's built, I can only assume they must have some kind of
assembly jig, because no way could human hands reach some of those
connectors once the pcbs are bolted to the panels.

My suspicion is that the only possible way to go any futher is to
unscrew EVERY connector on the rear connector panel just to be able to
access the connectors that link them to the channel pcbs, so as to be
sure of re-connecting them properly on re-assembly.

And this was done largely AFAICS so that 'everything' on those pcbs
could go through a flow solder machine. Have they never heard of masking
certain portions of a board so as to have some components on the side ?

I'm stunned. And there's other overkill stuff too.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Eeyore wrote:
[...]

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him. How about a
piccy of what you have found? Much more to the point

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.

I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

Will see what I can do about a pic, but the things is such a mess it may be
tricky.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.

I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

They certainly don't know about Heath Robinson, though. They have this
bloke called Rube Goldberg...

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Agreed. Digital cameras are very cheap and effective for the purpose.

I've got a Canon SD1000 that amazes me every time I download my last load of
pics.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.

I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

They certainly don't know about Heath Robinson, though. They have this
bloke called Rube Goldberg...

Oh indeed. I only discovered him a year or two ago through Usenet in fact
IIRC and the Swiss have the inimitable Tinguely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Tinguely

I went to an exhibition of his 'art' once at the Tate. It was nuts, in the
nicest possible way.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.
How about a piccy of what you have found? Much more to
the point

Agreed. Digital cameras are very cheap and effective for the purpose.

I've got a Canon SD1000 that amazes me every time I download my last load of
pics.

I seem to have mislaid my cheapy one ( I have a Pentax MX for serious 35mm
photography ) but my neighbour has something that'll do.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.
I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

They certainly don't know about Heath Robinson, though. They have this
bloke called Rube Goldberg...

Oh indeed. I only discovered him a year or two ago through Usenet in fact
IIRC and the Swiss have the inimitable Tinguely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Tinguely

I went to an exhibition of his 'art' once at the Tate. It was nuts, in the
nicest possible way.

Graham

Yup, but this is really just objet-trouve art. The Heath Robinson stuff
is machines with a purpose, that you can follow the logic of, laughing
at the silliness of it.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
liquidator[_2_] liquidator[_2_] is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.

I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

Will see what I can do about a pic, but the things is such a mess it may

be
tricky.

Graham

Escher had a pretty heavy period of popularity here during the psychelic
days. So those who survived the late 60's early 70's with some brain cells
left are fairly familiar with his work.

Enough that I went and bought a fairly expensive book containing a
collection of his work. Prolly still have it.

Wasn't he a technical illustrator in his regular job? Thought I read that.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Marc Amsterdam Marc Amsterdam is offline

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:33:35 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

I finally got round to properly opening up my local venue's old Midas
Venice with a view to replacing a few scratchy and intermittent pots.

I had a rough expectation of what to expect internally having seen
inside more than a few consoles.

I was however utterly stunned by this one.

Those familiar with the art of M C Escher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurits_Cornelis_Escher

Would immediately recognise his influence.

Don't you just love the Dutch artists :-)

Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

liquidator wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Don Pearce wrote:

No good posting a link to Escher - we know all about him.

I'm not so sure the Americans do though..

Will see what I can do about a pic, but the things is such a mess it may
be tricky.

Escher had a pretty heavy period of popularity here during the psychelic
days. So those who survived the late 60's early 70's with some brain cells
left are fairly familiar with his work.

Enough that I went and bought a fairly expensive book containing a
collection of his work. Prolly still have it.

Wasn't he a technical illustrator in his regular job? Thought I read that.

Yes, I believe you're broadly correct there.

Fascinating art though.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

wrote:

I finally got round to properly opening up my local venue's old Midas
Venice with a view to replacing a few scratchy and intermittent pots.

I had a rough expectation of what to expect internally having seen
inside more than a few consoles.

I was however utterly stunned by this one.

Those familiar with the art of M C Escher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurits_Cornelis_Escher

Would immediately recognise his influence.

Don't you just love the Dutch artists :-)

In fact, one of the most striking moments of my life was in Amsterdam.
On a trip accompanying a Dutch friend to the US consulate in order to
obtain a visa, I decided to take a quick pass through the Rijksmuseum.

I was absolutely stunned upon encountering Rembrandt's 'Nigh****ch'.
For one thing, I never imagined it was that *big*, having only seen
reproductions in textbooks.

Highly recommended....

jak

Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Marc Amsterdam Marc Amsterdam is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'm ashamed to say that ever since i recide in Amsterdam (15 years
now) , i've never been to the rijksmuseum again, nor the van Gogh,
nor the City ( stedelijk) museum( 1) . this while they are all
within walking distance and the City museum depandance is only 125
metres away from where i'm typing this.
I lived in Bilbao for a while, right across the Guggenheim, passing it
every day while walking to the site right nexts to the musem. and
only went to it when passing through on holiday two years later......

I always seem to think there is time enough to visit so its not on the
priority list. this while i love to go to the museums.

One to visit while in holland is the Kroller muller (2), they have
among other a nice collection of van Gogh including the potato
eaters and one of his last paintings outof the series of cornfields
(3) and an impressive sculpture garden

1* http://www.stedelijk.nl/

2* http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en

3*
http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/ind...n=1282&lang=en

cheers

jak

Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..
In fact, one of the most striking moments of my life was in Amsterdam. On
a trip accompanying a Dutch friend to the US consulate in order to obtain
a visa, I decided to take a quick pass through the Rijksmuseum.

I was absolutely stunned upon encountering Rembrandt's 'Nigh****ch'. For
one thing, I never imagined it was that *big*, having only seen
reproductions in textbooks.

Highly recommended....

Seconded. The only museum I've been to in my European travels, and simply
wonderful - especially all the stuff from the Dutch colonial period. My wife
and I went in right after the doors opened and they had to run us out at the
end of the day, and I'm still not sure that I saw all of it.

The Van Gogh museum is only a couple of blocks from there, but I never made
the time to see it, sad to say.

Sean

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

wrote:

[...]

Don't feel too bad. I've never been to the Grand Ol' Opry, either;
despite living here for over 20 years....BFG

One to visit while in holland is the Kroller muller (2), they have
among other a nice collection of van Gogh including the potato
eaters and one of his last paintings outof the series of cornfields
(3) and an impressive sculpture garden

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

jak

1* http://www.stedelijk.nl/

2* http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en

3*
http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/ind...n=1282&lang=en

cheers

jak
Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..
In fact, one of the most striking moments of my life was in Amsterdam. On
a trip accompanying a Dutch friend to the US consulate in order to obtain
a visa, I decided to take a quick pass through the Rijksmuseum.

I was absolutely stunned upon encountering Rembrandt's 'Nigh****ch'. For
one thing, I never imagined it was that *big*, having only seen
reproductions in textbooks.

Highly recommended....

Seconded. The only museum I've been to in my European travels, and simply
wonderful - especially all the stuff from the Dutch colonial period. My wife
and I went in right after the doors opened and they had to run us out at the
end of the day, and I'm still not sure that I saw all of it.

The Van Gogh museum is only a couple of blocks from there, but I never made
the time to see it, sad to say.

Sean

Odd that it would also be also the only European museum I visited in my
travels as well. I did tour the ruins at Pompeii (and mixed in castles
and catacombs). I guess that counts....

jak
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

jakdedert wrote:

Sean Conolly wrote:

The Van Gogh museum is only a couple of blocks from there, but I never made
the time to see it, sad to say.

Odd that it would also be also the only European museum I visited in my
travels as well. I did tour the ruins at Pompeii (and mixed in castles
and catacombs). I guess that counts....

You know we have a few Roman ruins still visisble here in my home town of St
Albans including a small amphitheatre.

It was Verulamium in Roman times.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:

"jakdedert" wrote

In fact, one of the most striking moments of my life was in Amsterdam. On
a trip accompanying a Dutch friend to the US consulate in order to obtain
a visa, I decided to take a quick pass through the Rijksmuseum.

I was absolutely stunned upon encountering Rembrandt's 'Nigh****ch'. For
one thing, I never imagined it was that *big*, having only seen
reproductions in textbooks.

Highly recommended....

Seconded. The only museum I've been to in my European travels, and simply
wonderful - especially all the stuff from the Dutch colonial period. My wife
and I went in right after the doors opened and they had to run us out at the
end of the day, and I'm still not sure that I saw all of it.

Oh, a good display takes some beating. I shall never forget seeing the bulk of
J M W Turner's work at the Royal Academy. They'd got everything they could find
on loan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._W._Turner

His seascapes are particularly special.

This one particularly hit me. Even just now it made tingles run up my spine.
http://www.abcgallery.com/T/turner/turner22.html

I believe he had himself lashed to the mast to experience the fury of the storm.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Marc Amsterdam Marc Amsterdam is offline

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 23:16:52 -0500, jakdedert
wrote:

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

hmm, that is what many travelers think, see all of Europe....

it is slightly bigger that lets say the USA, so seeing all of europe
just might be a to ambitious goal i'm afraid.....

jak

1* http://www.stedelijk.nl/

2* http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en

3*
http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/ind...n=1282&lang=en

cheers

jak
Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Marc Amsterdam wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

hmm, that is what many travelers think, see all of Europe....

it is slightly bigger that lets say the USA, so seeing all of europe
just might be a to ambitious goal i'm afraid.....

The classic tale goes like this about Americans touring Europe ....

" Which day is this ? Wednesday ? This must be Germany ! "

You'll never ever get the sense of the place like that. Even a week in each country
might be pushing it with the larger ones. There are 27 countries in the EU and a
further 4 in EFTA.

Europe
Population 731 million.
Area 10.18 M km2

USA
Population 304 million
Area 9.8 M km2

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Marc Amsterdam wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

hmm, that is what many travelers think, see all of Europe....

it is slightly bigger that lets say the USA, so seeing all of europe
just might be a to ambitious goal i'm afraid.....

The classic tale goes like this about Americans touring Europe ....

" Which day is this ? Wednesday ? This must be Germany ! "

You'll never ever get the sense of the place like that. Even a week in each country
might be pushing it with the larger ones. There are 27 countries in the EU and a
further 4 in EFTA.

Europe
Population 731 million.
Area 10.18 M km2

USA
Population 304 million
Area 9.8 M km2

Graham

I've lived 58 years in London, and it still throws huge surprises at me.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Marc Amsterdam newsgroup wrote:

I'm ashamed to say that ever since i recide in Amsterdam (15 years
now) , i've never been to the rijksmuseum again, nor the van Gogh,
nor the City ( stedelijk) museum( 1) . this while they are all
within walking distance and the City museum depandance is only 125
metres away from where i'm typing this.

Sheesh. Go right now and get to the Rijksmuseum and go directly to
the Night Watch.

At the Amsterdam AES show a few years back, we did all the usual tourist
things, and walked through the Rijksmuseum. There were a lot of paintings
there, and a lot of them were very good and we looked at paintings and
paintings and paintings and it was all very nice and then... WOW! There
was the Night Watch! And it was totally different than I had expected it
to be... the reproductions don't do it justice at all, and we all sat
around for about half an hour just looking at it.

Don't waste your time looking at the Dutch Masters painting from the box
of cigars. Skip the Vermeers... all the good ones are in Los Angeles
anyway. Go right to the Night Watch.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

Sean Conolly wrote:
The Van Gogh museum is only a couple of blocks from there, but I never made
the time to see it, sad to say.

Odd that it would also be also the only European museum I visited in my
travels as well. I did tour the ruins at Pompeii (and mixed in castles
and catacombs). I guess that counts....

You know we have a few Roman ruins still visisble here in my home town of St
Albans including a small amphitheatre.

It was Verulamium in Roman times.

Graham

I'm well aware of it, but despite the time I spent in London, most of my
traveling in the country was between there and Dover. I did take one
side-trip to Stonehenge....

jak
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

wrote:

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

hmm, that is what many travelers think, see all of Europe....

it is slightly bigger that lets say the USA, so seeing all of europe
just might be a to ambitious goal i'm afraid.....

The one band I was associated with in the 80's, pretty much 'did' Europe
over the period of three years I mixed foh. The only countries I missed
in W. Europe were Spain, Norway and (not exactly 'Europe', I know)
Portugal. We played a few of what were then Soviet Bloc countries, as
well...E. Germany, Hungary and (the then) Yugoslavia.

We (I) toured most extensively in W. Germany, Italy, Holland, Belgium
and France. It was a low-rate tour, and I did most of the
driving...spent a total of about 13 months, mostly on the continent,
over three years. I worked for a German sound company during my 'off'
time and lived in Duesseldorf.

I'm hoping to get back, as the company I free-lance for has an account
that does a series of European dates every year. They package the show
and send very few US personnel for that leg, since the production
company we use has a German subsidiary. I'm hoping to make myself
'important' enough to be one of those.

jak

jak
1* http://www.stedelijk.nl/

2* http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en

3*
http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/ind...n=1282&lang=en

cheers

jak
Marc

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Marc Amsterdam wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

I'd love to get back to Holland--indeed any or all of Europe--again.
It's been 20 years.....

hmm, that is what many travelers think, see all of Europe....

it is slightly bigger that lets say the USA, so seeing all of europe
just might be a to ambitious goal i'm afraid.....

The classic tale goes like this about Americans touring Europe ....

" Which day is this ? Wednesday ? This must be Germany ! "

You'll never ever get the sense of the place like that. Even a week in each country
might be pushing it with the larger ones. There are 27 countries in the EU and a
further 4 in EFTA.

Europe
Population 731 million.
Area 10.18 M km2

USA
Population 304 million
Area 9.8 M km2

Graham

What we thought of as 'Europe' back in the 80's was only about half that
size. The 'other' half was 'Terra incognito' to most of us in the West.
Despite that, I drove to Lubjana, Budapest and Berlin (through the
corridor) in a rebodied Ford Transit (ex London ambulance) loaded with
band and gear. We lodged mostly in hotels, but often in private
residences and hostels. We did one tour where several legs were by train.

I'd love to experience the 'new' Europe, especially those countries with
which I'm familiar in the East. When I was there last, every border
crossing (even Western countries) was an adventure.....

jak

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

--scott

Yeah! My experience as well. It's hard to imagine that they thought so
little of it, that after his death, they whacked away a significant
portion to fit a particular wall; changing the perspective of the work
and reducing its size. It's just a stunning visual experience, even at
that.

jak
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 10/07/08 18:35, in article ,
"jakdedert" wrote:

(...)

I'd love to experience the 'new' Europe, especially those countries with
which I'm familiar in the East. When I was there last, every border
crossing (even Western countries) was an adventure.....

The border crossings are all very boring now. (Haven't been Russia and
Ukraine yet, so there might still be some adventure left.)

Just remember to get the windshield stickers for the motorway toll (in the
countries that have them: Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Czech Republic,
Slovakia and Slovenia).

Gosh, I shouldn't have said that and offered my services to smooth things
over... ;-)

--
Joe Kotroczo