Posted to rec.audio.car
David Harper David Harper is offline

Default Puzzling car music system issue

I have a monaural vs. stereo issue. I recently purchased a 2011 Toyota
Corolla LE. It came with their basic AM/FM/CD unit. Two, fancier units were
available when the car was new. FM radio plays fine. Music CDs play fine.

I started making MP3 CDs on Rewritable, Verbatim CDs. I use Audacity on
Windows 7 to generate the MP3 files. Then I use Imgburn to burn the CDs. The
files play with full stereo on my computer and on my stand-alone CD/DVD
player. They play in the car okay but they are *not* in stereo. I specify
Joint Stereo when I create the files. I have tried 128kbps up to 320kbps
with no stereo improvement.

Here is the weird part: I used Audacity to process a CD test disk in the
same way as the others I had created. The disk contained "This is the left
channel, "This is the right channel" announcements. It plays correctly in
the car! What is going on here?

Anybody have any ideas or things to try?

- David Harper