Ambisonics again, and an audio use for neural networks

Old October 18th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
-dsr-

Default Ambisonics again, and an audio use for neural networks

https://people.xiph.org/~jm/opus/opus-1.3/

describes the new features in the 1.3 release of the Opus codec,
including a new Ambisonics encoding method and an actual useful
usage of a neural network for deciding whether a given recording
is speech or audio, in realtime, in order to apply different audio
processing methods.

Includes demos of low-bitrate encoding for speech and mid, high
and uncompressed encoding for music.

At my desktop, using Sony MDR7506 headphones, I could reliably
tell the difference between the mid and uncompressed encoding for
all the samples (I think), but was not particularly reliable on
distinguishing the high rate and uncompressed encodings.

-dsr-