Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Knock Knock!

Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:08:44 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Eternal September is stretching things a bit to reach as far as March.
But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet, the
coup-de-grace administered by Google Groups.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Eternal September is stretching things a bit to reach as far as March.
But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet, the
coup-de-grace administered by Google Groups.

some of us are still here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
rec.photo.digital. ;-)
I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.
--
==
Later...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

But I'm afraid we are seeing the dying gasps of Usenet

Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
interfaces have replaced news groups? If so, I have
yet to find one that supplants RAP.

I actually do like mailing lists just as much as news.
I just filter the messages into a folder, at which point
the experience is indistinguishable from usenet (I'm
using Thunderbird).

Everyone has email, but usenet takes some doing,
including finding a reliable and permanent server.
I can see why new people don't get into it.

Anyone else remember the days of Archie and Veronica
when they had usenet, but you did it on the command
line, and the first step was to answer yes or no to
hundreds of groups?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/11/2020 2:42 PM, Tobiah wrote:
Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
interfaces have replaced news groups?

There are too many places to go, so not a whole lot of active users
anywhere. Newbies don't want to read newsgroups or forums, they want to
see a how-to-to-it video.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Like the old lady who refused to leave Pripyat.

There was an old lady from Pripyat,
who had defied the local consulate.
Three decades she stayed,
saying she wasn't afraid,
of her three-eyed and two-headed kitty kat.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/03/2020 5:59 am, Ron C wrote:
On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
rec.photo.digital.** ;-)
I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.

I'm not here. Or there ;- )

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/03/2020 5:59 am, Ron C wrote:
On 3/11/2020 11:08 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Hmm, there's been a large audio discussion over on (of all places)
rec.photo.digital.** ;-)
I wouldn't dare cross post for fear of an absurd flame-war.

Yeah please don't cross-post cos nospam might come here then !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 8:08:45 AM UTC-7, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

I've often thought of posting some slightly off-topic things but didn't want to get into trouble. Perhaps it might help to keep some discussion going rather than none at all.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers:

cough-cough! Shivers...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Newbies don't want to read newsgroups or forums,
they want to see a how-to-to-it video.

In most cases for me, written instructions are easier to follow
than a video.

Being able to read instructions might increase some Millennials'
hireability.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Agent Orange

Why geoff, why?!?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/11/2020 2:42 PM, Tobiah wrote:
Is it that the multitude of web forums, each with their
own URL and login to remember, with their cumbersome
interfaces have replaced news groups?

There are too many places to go, so not a whole lot of active users
anywhere. Newbies don't want to read newsgroups or forums, they want to
see a how-to-to-it video.

I expect they just congregate on Redditt. It's all noob, all the time.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] gtoledo3@gmail.com is offline

next door!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregg Jones Gregg Jones is offline

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 11:08:45 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

Years ago, I read this group on a daily basis. I found a huge amount of valuable information here. Just now, I decided to search for it again. Shucks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 2:22:44 PM UTC-4, Gregg Jones wrote:

Years ago, I read this group on a daily basis. I found a huge amount of valuable information here. Just now, I decided to search for it again. Shucks!

Yeah, I come by occasionally as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory Allen Gregory Allen is offline

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 3:08:45 PM UTC, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

I tend to read the goggle grope digests as I don't use a proper usenet client anymore. I'm just a hobbyist though, besides being surrounded by cables most of the time I think most of my productions would cause most of the pros around here to spew.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-4, Gregory Allen wrote:
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 3:08:45 PM UTC, Mike Rivers wrote:
Anybody home? Or is Eternal September out to lunch?

I tend to read the goggle grope digests as I don't use a proper usenet client anymore. I'm just a hobbyist though, besides being surrounded by cables most of the time I think most of my productions would cause most of the pros around here to spew.

Me too. That despite having been at it for almost 40 years. It's still fun though!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

-- For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

I tend to read the goggle grope digests as I don't use a proper
usenet client anymore. I'm just a hobbyist though, besides being
surrounded by cables most of the time I think most of my productions
would cause most of the pros around here to spew.

I curated a compilation form alt.music.4-track a couple decades ago,
and it was great. Social media long before the term had been invented.

That ignores multiple rec.audio.pro comps.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 2/05/2020 12:23 pm, Les Cargill wrote:

I curated a compilation form alt.music.4-track a couple decades ago,
and it was great. Social media long before the term had been invented.

Yeah some of us were on usenet groups before the world wide web was even
invented! But then the ham radio people were doing a sort of social
media many decades before the internet was invented.