Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Better bandwidth than USB-2?

I have a PreSonus Studio 1810. For $100 more, I
could have it's descendant, the 1810c, which, apart
from a couple of tweaks to the software, seems only
to sport the new USB type.

In this case, I assume that the underlying communication
with the computer is the same, only over a USB-C connection.
In other words, would it be safe to say that latency would
be the same on either unit, even though USB 3.0 or C is theoretically
capable of greater throughput which should result in less usable
latency? I mean, did they just put a different plug on the same unit?

And why the apparent lack of USB3.0 devices? Wouldn't it be
a dream to have the extra bandwidth? I look at the prices
once in a while, and it seems as though anything beyond USB2.0,
(Thunderbolt, PCI etc.) runs into the stratosphere pricewise.

So for the hobby user, should I be content with USB2.0 for now or
are there other budget avenues to choose regarding increased throughput?

Thanks,

Tobiah

Limited Bandwidth west Vacuum Tubes 61 April 11th 07 08:08 AM
Sound cards real bandwidth katzenjammer Tech 4 November 10th 06 09:18 PM
Bandwidth and Frequency response Chelvam High End Audio 7 June 15th 04 12:38 AM
Constant bandwidth TRF circuit John Byrns Vacuum Tubes 7 June 14th 04 02:00 AM
Who hogs bandwidth on RAT? Choky Vacuum Tubes 3 October 17th 03 12:33 AM