Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default 6 pin XLR Oddity

If you look end-on at a 6-pin XLR, you'll see a center pin (call it
the "nose") and then 5 pins on an arc around the perimeter (call
these pins the "smile").

Now, on a 5 pin XLR, the "smile" is symmetrical. But on a 6 pin, the
"smile" is a wee bit lopsided -- the start of the arc is slightly offset
to one side.

Here's the weird part: most of our 6 pins -- including new Clearcom
packs -- have the same lopsided offset of the smile and work just
fine -- with each other.

But we have a few older 6 pin XLRs where the pattern looks exactly
the same, except that the offset of the lopsided smile is in the
other direction, almost as if the manufacturer accidently flipped the
pin-spacing template, or perhaps swapped the male/female pin patterns
from what they are now, which would also explain the problem. Of course,
these connectors won't mate with the newer versions.

Is anyone aware of an industry-wide change in the pin layout of 6 pin
XLRs? If so, approximately when did that happen? Ever hear of a bad
run from Neutrik? (New Neutriks all seem to follow the "correct" pin
spacing, even though older Neutriks do not.)

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

Now, on a 5 pin XLR, the "smile" is symmetrical. But on a 6 pin, the
"smile" is a wee bit lopsided -- the start of the arc is slightly offset
to one side.

That depends, there are two kinds of 6-pin XLRs. Neither one of them is
an actual Cannon design like the 3 and 5 pin ones are.

One of them is a Switchcraft invention and the other is a Neutrik invention.
And they are different.

Neutrik now makes a 6-pin model that is compatible with the Switchcraft,
but I don't think Switchcraft makes one that is compatible with the original
Neutrik.

Is anyone aware of an industry-wide change in the pin layout of 6 pin
XLRs? If so, approximately when did that happen? Ever hear of a bad
run from Neutrik? (New Neutriks all seem to follow the "correct" pin
spacing, even though older Neutriks do not.)

The problem is that there is no real standard, since Cannon never made a
6-pin one. So two different companies made their own, and now you have to
stock two kinds.

Quolle uses one kind for their console power supplies, BLUE used the other
kind for tube mike supplies, but for the life of me I can't remember which
is which.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]

** I was looking at a CAD Trion 8000 mic just this week that uses 6 pin XLR style connectors - no brand name but well enough made with gold flashed pins.

The pin arrangement is a clone of the original Neutrik one - but with one anomaly. The male has the middle pin labelled 6 while the corresponding female has it labelled 5.

Despite everything else looking and testing OK, no HT was getting through to the mic itself. Turned out someone had put a neat blob of solder linking pin 6 and the shell ground terminal in the female plug that went into the mic, dead shorting the HT soon as it was installed.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/24/2016 10:46 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
I was looking at a CAD Trion 8000 mic just this week

Despite everything else looking and testing OK, no HT was getting
through to the mic itself. Turned out someone had put a neat blob of
solder linking pin 6 and the shell ground terminal in the female plug
that went into the mic, dead shorting the HT soon as it was
installed.

Years ago, I reviewed the original Trion series of mics. (My first
review for Pro Audio Review, and my last mic review) I don't remember
which of the three mics it was, or exactly what the problem was, but I
discovered a miswired connector. Hopefully this isn't a common problem
with the company's mics.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Years ago, I reviewed the original Trion series of mics. (My first
review for Pro Audio Review, and my last mic review) I don't remember
which of the three mics it was, or exactly what the problem was, but I
discovered a miswired connector. Hopefully this isn't a common problem
with the company's mics.

** Well, the 6 core cable looked well used and the mic and PSU came from a local small studio, all packed in a nice aluminium case.

Which makes me conclude there was " human intervention " involved.

..... Phil

Another PC Oddity Mike Rivers Pro Audio 238 June 13th 11 06:50 PM
Another PC Oddity Neil Gould Pro Audio 0 June 11th 11 11:56 AM
Pitch clash oddity - ever run into this? muzician21 Pro Audio 1 November 17th 09 02:55 PM
oddity Godolphin&fellow Pro Audio 6 November 24th 06 10:51 AM
Acoustic treatment oddity. philicorda Pro Audio 7 March 2nd 04 03:05 PM