Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

Default neil young's mics

where can i find out what mic neil young used in the film Rust Never Sleeps,
the ones on his harmonica holder. would love to have that setup myself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"mcgtr" wrote:
where can i find out what mic neil young used in the film Rust Never
Sleeps, the ones on his harmonica holder. would love to have that setup
myself.

A photo would be helpful.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

mcgtr wrote:
where can i find out what mic neil young used in the film Rust Never Sleeps,
the ones on his harmonica holder. would love to have that setup myself.

This one? This is a Beyer M69 I think, on the cover of the limited
edition dvds (import maybe?)
But the Beyer's not "on" his harmonica holder, just next to it.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

mcgtr wrote:
where can i find out what mic neil young used in the film Rust Never Sleeps,
the ones on his harmonica holder. would love to have that setup myself.

This one?
http://www.gullivertown.com/dvd/sche...418873&large=t
This is a Beyer M69 I think, on the cover of the limited edition dvds
(import maybe?)
But the Beyer's not "on" his harmonica holder, just next to it.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

that's it !!!!!
thanks and
5 tons of flax to you!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

upon further review,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i'm asking about the mic's on the holder in the pic listed above, they
appear as two black disks.
thanks again.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
mcgtr wrote:
upon further review,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
i'm asking about the mic's on the holder in the pic listed above, they
appear as two black disks.
thanks again.

What pic listed above? Do you have a URL or anything?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

Default neil young's mics / link to pic

http://www.gullivertown.com/dvd/sche...73&large=tthis
is the link to an import of the show.
by the way, it is worth the effort to see this pic & enjoy it as is. not bad
sound fer the era.
thanx all

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcgtr wrote:
http://www.gullivertown.com/dvd/sche...73&large=tthis
is the link to an import of the show.
by the way, it is worth the effort to see this pic & enjoy it as is. not bad
sound fer the era.

That is a very low resolution picture... extremely smeary. Looks like it
could have been a Beyer M-88, but I wouldn't put any money on it without
seeing something a lot more clear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

i've been told they are some kind of lavalier mic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcgtr" wrote ...
i've been told they are some kind of lavalier mic.

Are we looking at the same picture?
Even first generation lav mics from 50 years ago
were smaller than that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

That is a very low resolution picture... extremely smeary. Looks like it
could have been a Beyer M-88, but I wouldn't put any money on it without
seeing something a lot more clear.

I think he's asking about the two black blobs on either end of the
harmonica. I suspect they're tie-tack mics, but it's anyone's guess as
to the type. Given the time frame and Neil Young's youthful appearance
in that photo, Sony ECM-50s with the foam blast filter installed would
be a reasonable guess.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcgtr mcgtr is offline

Default neil young's mics (2)

as don knots once said, "let me clarify that".
in the movie "rust never sleeps", neil young sang and played harp into two
little mics attached to his harmonica holder, it is seen throughout the
flick, and it IS a sweet sound. (and a good flick).
please guys, i'm just a gtr player who wants to sound better cuase what
iv'e got is very limited, to say the least!
thanks all

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcgtr wrote:
as don knots once said, "let me clarify that".
in the movie "rust never sleeps", neil young sang and played harp into two
little mics attached to his harmonica holder, it is seen throughout the
flick, and it IS a sweet sound. (and a good flick).

So get a couple cheap omni lavalier mikes and try it. No matter what you
pick up off the shelf today, it'll be cleaner than the typical lav mikes
of that era.

You should realize that in most films, though, the production sound has very
little to do with what you hear on the soundtrack. Even back then it was the
case.

please guys, i'm just a gtr player who wants to sound better cuase what
iv'e got is very limited, to say the least!

You want to sound better playing harp?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcgtr" wrote:
as don knots once said, "let me clarify that".
in the movie "rust never sleeps", neil young sang and played harp into
two little mics attached to his harmonica holder, it is seen throughout
the flick, and it IS a sweet sound. (and a good flick).
please guys, i'm just a gtr player who wants to sound better cuase what
iv'e got is very limited, to say the least!
thanks all

Most film sound is not recorded at the same time as the pictures.

Try not to fall for the "monkey-see, monkey-do" syndrome. Instead, study
mic specs and find a GOOD one. Then, learn how to use it. Keep in mind,
most often it's not the mic, it's the performer!

P.S. your original question, a link to a photo would be helpful.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

(hank alrich) wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:

P.S. your original question, a link to a photo would be helpful.

http://www.gullivertown.com/dvd/sche...73&large=tthis

Thanks, Hank. However, I can't tell from that photo.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:

P.S. your original question, a link to a photo would be helpful.

http://www.gullivertown.com/dvd/sche...73&large=tthis

Thanks, Hank. However, I can't tell from that photo.

Same for most of us, Roy. g

Happy Seasonalities!

--
ha

ducking four mics with one mic (on a budget) apa Pro Audio 4 September 29th 06 09:59 PM
Recording Drums Matrixmusic Pro Audio 10 February 12th 05 03:23 AM
Sound-proof headphone recommendations? Also, wireless mics. Lots of questions! bluecalx General 5 June 29th 04 11:11 PM
Vocal Distortion on Neil Young's "Southern Man" Blackburst Pro Audio 121 May 29th 04 10:20 AM
Vocal Distortion on Neil Young's "Southern Man" Blackburst Pro Audio 0 May 25th 04 03:05 AM