Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] hypatia08@gmail.com is offline

Default DVD/VHS combo

Is this a safe bet for someone without a lot of bux to waste?

I was going to get separate ones, as I am always concerned about losing the whole enchilada if one part goes out.

But I saw some "reassuring" sites, so thought I would check with you experts.

Many thanks for help and/or referrals.

Hypatia

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, wrote:

Is this a safe bet for someone without a lot of bux to waste?

I was going to get separate ones, as I am always concerned about losing
the whole enchilada if one part goes out.

But I saw some "reassuring" sites, so thought I would check with you
experts.

I've found a few, lying on the sidewalk. They seemed to work when I
brought them home, but I didn't run them extensively.

But why?

The blu-ray player I found on the sidewalk works fine after I cleaned the
lens, and that's the future. It can play DVDs, but also blu-ray, so when
I find the latter at book sales and garage sales (now they are getting
cheap), I have the capacity to play them. I was able to get the Indiana
Jones films on blu-ray at Christmas for five dollars each, since I only
had them on VHS (bought used) this was a step up. I couldn't get them on
DVD for less.

But ever since I got a DVD player in late 2003, I actually started buying
VHS movies. I'd never had a VCR, but having the DVD player made me notice
pre-recorded movies, and I saw that VHS was being sold cheap. So I got a
VCR at a garage sale ($20 in a box with remote and manual) and that's
still working fine. I've brought home some found on the sidewalk waiting
for the garbage truck VCRs as backups, for one the "good" one fails. I'm
sure you can find them cheap at garage sales and rummage sales.

For that matter, it's now easy to find DVD players waiting for the
garbage, and they generally work. Discards because people wanted blu-ray
players, I assume. So look around, you can probably get a VCR and a DVD
player used for less than the price of a VCR-DVD player combo, and likely
a better quality too.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_3_] whosbest54[_3_] is offline

In article ,
says...
Is this a safe bet for someone without a lot of bux to waste?

I was going to get separate ones, as I am always concerned about losing the
whole enchilada if one part goes out.

But I saw some "reassuring" sites, so thought I would check with you experts.

Many thanks for help and/or referrals.

Hypatia

If you want to buy new, then if you need VHS presumably to play tapes you have,
then I don't even think separate VHS VCRs are made anymore, they are only part
of combo units for the most part now. You certainly could find used VCRs.

From what I've seen the most common combo units aren't of the highest quality,
but they'll do for casual playback of tapes, DVDs and audio CDs. Something
around the $100 range is OK. I have a Toshiba combo that has worked fine for
years.

I agree with another poster that for new physical media a Blu-Ray player is
also the way to go these days provided you have a HDTV with a HDMI input.

If you want to record off the air, there are DVD recorders and a few combo
units with built in digital tuners. Most folks are using DVRs for that these
days.

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

If the pages time out, try whosbest54.netau.net in
a site unblocker proxy like: http://www.site2unblock.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Are people abandoning physical playback components
& media that readily, that they just toss it in the street??

And I know CDs and vinyl(and some cassettes) are
showing up at Goodwills and Salvation Army Stores
by the dumpster-load.

What's going on???
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 4:46:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Are people abandoning physical playback components
& media that readily, that they just toss it in the street??

So I'm told. Or at garage/yard sales. How can you trust a "physical
playback component" bought at such a place?

I bought a couple of DVD players at thrift shops, but they didn't last.
Somebody gave me one that seemed OK, but after a while it went South too.

Will have to manage to afford a new one if I'm ever to play my discs again.
(My computer DVD player is also hors de combat. It just doesn't "see" the disc. Have tried to fix problem but not techie enough.)

Hypatia

And I know CDs and vinyl(and some cassettes) are
showing up at Goodwills and Salvation Army Stores
by the dumpster-load.

What's going on???

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Hypatia: I intend to resist the 'cloud' as long as I can for
all my listening and viewing needs. People who know me
call me "ol fogie" because I still drop CDs, DVDs, and vinyl
instead of just streaming or clouding.

Nothing like having a physical copy, plus having it on hard-
drives.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Al Griffy Al Griffy is offline

agreed...I also keep acoustic as well as electr[on]ic instruments, so I
can darn-well Make some music if non'll play...