Rigid Richard

Default Tracking with 2 Firepods

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a Firepod. I've read lots of stuff on the
web about this device, but am still a little confused . Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously? If not, what would I need?

Thanks,

Rich

p.o.l.

"Rigid Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a Firepod. I've read lots of stuff on the
web about this device, but am still a little confused . Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously? If not, what would I need?

Thanks,

Rich

Yes, you would be able to record 16 tracks as long as your computer could
handle it.

p.o.l.

Mike Rivers

Rigid Richard wrote:
Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously?

That's a big assumption. Your computer will need to be well tweaked,
and you'll almost certainly want to use a dedicated disk drive for your
audio files. But it's possible.

Mike Rivers

Oh, and be sure to use the latest drivers for the Firepod. They only
recently (within the past couple of months) announced a driver that
lets you use multiple Firepods in ASIO mode. Packaging is often behind
product development so the installation disk that's in the box may not
accommodate using more than one Firepod at a time.

Laurence Payne

On 14 Nov 2005 14:15:51 -0800, "Rigid Richard"
wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a Firepod. I've read lots of stuff on the
web about this device, but am still a little confused . Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously? If not, what would I need?

Theoretically, yes. Make sure your computer is up to the job though.

EricK

Laurence Payne wrote:

Theoretically, yes. Make sure your computer is up to the job though.

Does the bundled version of Cuabse allow for recording 16 tracks at
once? I seem to remember there was a change a while back and you
couldn't enable more than "x" number of tracks at once.

I don't recall the details, and I don't recall the resolution either.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

"Rigid Richard" writes:

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a Firepod. I've read lots of stuff on the
web about this device, but am still a little confused . Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously? If not, what would I need?

Thanks,

Rich

I've got the Firepod (a single one).

Issue #1: make sure the Cubase software will work with 16 tracks. The one
they shipped was crippled to four tracks! Apparantly someone bought out
Steinberg (or the Cubase SW?) and slapped this limit on the lastest version.
I had to call and get them to send me an older version of Cubase LE. I hope
they've fixed that now, but don't lay down any cash before checking this. Call
them and ask *before* buying.

Issue #2: I would go for something else for more than eight inputs. How about
a MOTU or similar with ADATPCMCIA card and a second unit, like Behringer
ADA8000 to add a second eight inputs. Use the MOTU for the critical stuff and
the '8000 for the less critical stuff. It might work out to the same price,
but be more reliable and more flexible (eg., for more tracks, future gear,
etc). People say the MOTU sounds better too.

Richard

Bob Cain

Rigid Richard wrote:
Hello everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a Firepod. I've read lots of stuff on the
web about this device, but am still a little confused . Assuming the
rest of the system is up to par, if I chain 2 Firepods together, with
the bundled Cubase LE software, will I be able to record 16 tracks
simultaneously? If not, what would I need?

Wordclock?

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Rigid Richard

I guess that's my real question too - Does the bundled version of
Cuabse allow for recording 16 tracks at once? I saw a limit
(somewhere...) of 10 tracks, but it wasn't clear it that was a hardware
or software limit. I *think* it might have been 10 tracks (8 analogue
ins + 2 SPDIF ins) for one unit, but again, not sure.

What I want to do is record my band without sub-mixing the drums. I
figure a 5-piece kit, with 2 overheads + 1 for high hat is 8 channels,
+ 1 channel for guitar, and 2 for bass (1 direct, 1 mic'ed). So that's
11 total simultaneous tracks. I could be happy with that.

What do you guys think? Would 2 Firepods, a big firewire audio drive,
and a reasonable fast PC do this?

Thanks,

Rich

Mike Rivers

Rigid Richard wrote:
I guess that's my real question too - Does the bundled version of
Cuabse allow for recording 16 tracks at once? I saw a limit
(somewhere...) of 10 tracks, but it wasn't clear it that was a hardware
or software limit. I *think* it might have been 10 tracks (8 analogue
ins + 2 SPDIF ins) for one unit, but again, not sure.

Well, you know, the software that's bundled with hardware isn't
supposed to be a free gift of everything that you'll ever need. It's
there to get you started. It's really wiser to first choose the
software that you like, and then get hardware. If you end up with some
free software that doesn't meet all of your needs, well, it's no great
loss. The point is that DAW software might on the surface seem to be
all the same, user interfaces and things that certain programs do (or
don't do) are very different and deserve more consideration than what
you get free with a hardware item that's in your ballpark price range.

What do you guys think? Would 2 Firepods, a big firewire audio drive,
and a reasonable fast PC do this?

Of cours it's possible, but it's not necessarily going to be
automatically trouble-free.

p.o.l.

"Rigid Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess that's my real question too - Does the bundled version of
Cuabse allow for recording 16 tracks at once? I saw a limit
(somewhere...) of 10 tracks, but it wasn't clear it that was a hardware
or software limit. I *think* it might have been 10 tracks (8 analogue
ins + 2 SPDIF ins) for one unit, but again, not sure.

What I want to do is record my band without sub-mixing the drums. I
figure a 5-piece kit, with 2 overheads + 1 for high hat is 8 channels,
+ 1 channel for guitar, and 2 for bass (1 direct, 1 mic'ed). So that's
11 total simultaneous tracks. I could be happy with that.

What do you guys think? Would 2 Firepods, a big firewire audio drive,
and a reasonable fast PC do this?

YES YES YES!
You will be happy with the results. My firepod is great for the money.

p.o.l.