Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default JVC receiver overheating?

I just ordered a JVC RX-D302B receiver from Crutchfield. Actually, this
is #2 - I sent back #1, a scratch-and-dent, because it quickly became
almost too hot to touch on top and filled the living room with the
smell of hot circuitry. It seemed to work fine otherwise, no
overheating shutdown, but still. Now #2, which is new, is doing the
same thing, and I'm wondering what is going on. Is this normal?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

I'm using Polk Audio R40 speakers, by the way.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

I tried unplugging the speaker wires and it still heats up and smells,
though not quite as much as before. Do some components just run hot
like this? Should I try replacing the speaker wires?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article om,
wrote:

I tried unplugging the speaker wires and it still heats up and smells,
though not quite as much as before. Do some components just run hot
like this?

Some components do tend to run hot. This can be true especially of
those devices designed (and sometimes marketed) with a "high bias" or
"rich Class AB" output circuit - one which has a high level of current
flowing through the output transistors at all times. If that's the
way your JVC was designed, then you would not be able to change its
behavior.

Another thing which can cause excessive heating is oscillation, which
can occur as a result of internal problems in the amp, or as the
result of the amp being fed a signal from a defective source component
(e.g. CD player) which is generating ultrasonic output. Diagnosing
this usually requires an oscilloscope and other test gear.

Electronics which "run hot" can emit a significant odor, at least
during their initial few hours of operation. Think of it as the
equivalent of "new-car smell" (and it actually arises for similar
reasons - plasticisers and other volatile materials cooking out of the
cabinet and wiring).

Should I try replacing the speaker wires?

Unlikely to help.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: