Default Packing a Heathkit Amplifier?

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

I am too close to this issue to provide a unbiased opinion.

thanks in advance
KC
Phil Allison

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

** No - bubble wrap is not suitable for heavy objects.

The bubbles burst very easily.

Most manufacturers all use fitted Styrofoam mouldings for impact protection
of heavy devices.

Use pieces Styrofoam sheet all around an amp, to at least 2 inches thick.

Leave tubes fitted in sockets but sleeve all the large ones in corrugated
cardboard ( or bubble wrap) if there is any chance of bumping into each
other, a tranny or simply falling out.

.......... Phil

Patrick Turner

Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article ,
at wrote on 10/3/05
9:00 AM:

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

I am too close to this issue to provide a unbiased opinion.

thanks in advance
KC

Pack all gear so that it can withstand withstand a four foot drop.

The "gold standard" for shipping is to double-box items, especially heavy
ones. Many amplifiers are unbalanced because of the weight and position of
the trannies.

It's twice the hassle, but if you ever get into a freight claim situation,
it is pretty difficult for a carrier to argue that you didn't pack it well.

Err on the side of caution.

Jon

The only thing that has worked for me is a layer of polystyrene foam board
cut to neatly and tightly fit all around an amp with at least 50mm thickness
beyond any protruding bind posts, switches etc, and then two layers of heavy
duty ribbed cardboard boxing, then a pile og adhesive tape around everything.

If the weight is above 25 kgs, then even thicker styrene should be used.
I get my polystyrene from arond the back of the grocer here where
there are always plenty of styrene crates I can cut to size with a box cutter
to make up
the layers need for the protection.
Carboard crates can also be altered to make up a size required.

Tubes should be removed from their sockets and packed separately with
bubble wrap all around and placed tightly packed inside the cage over the tubes

if there is one, or packed with the amp in a separate plywood box so if the amp
is dropped the amp
weight cannot crush the pack of precious tubes.

Patrick Turner.

Lord Valve

No, I'm packing a Colt .380 Pocketlite. I've found that
it's difficult to get the bad guys to stand still long enough
for me to whack 'em with a Twin Reverb.

Lord Valve
Boo!

west

wrote in message

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

I am too close to this issue to provide a unbiased opinion.

thanks in advance
KC

Would I be off-base to conjecture that you purchased an amp from eBay or ?
and it arrived damaged? You are in somewhat of a dispute abut the amp not
being packed properly? It may benefit us if you spelled out the details with
no name, brand, etc. so we may learn from your experience.

west

Michael Squires

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

I am too close to this issue to provide a unbiased opinion.

If the box mentioned were put inside a larger box with sheet foam rubber
on all sides, maybe.

Don't use pellets, with vibration something heavy will move to the bottom.

Remember that six foot drops are considered normal handling by UPS (what I
was told by a UPS representative when I requested compensation for shipping
damage).

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
west

The original poster sent me this email because he said he was having
difficulty posting on this NG. He gave permission to share his message (see
below).

west

[...]

West,

Thanks for sharing.

IMHO the seller deserves a negative rating, particularly for his stand on
insurance. It is the shipper's responsibility to handle the claim, unless
the item was sent freight collect. (UCC provision, IIRC).

One problem with eBay is that people are afraid of retaliatory negative FB,
so they won't tell the truth. I dinged two bad sellers and got dinged in
return. Oh well.

vinylbigot

Not even close. I once packed two bubble wrapped transformers in the same
box as Scott amplifier and separated with 2 layers of triple wall cardboard
plus 2 inches of heavy rug foam. The transformers broke through and damaged
the amplifier case.

wrote in message

Do you think wrapping a W7-A amplifier (el34 P-P, large transformers/
metal/al case) in two layers of bubble wrap and putting it in a single
layer cardboard box is sufficient?

I am too close to this issue to provide a unbiased opinion.

thanks in advance
KC

gerrye123

"Jon Yaeger" wrote:

One problem with eBay is that people are afraid of retaliatory negative

FB,
so they won't tell the truth. I dinged two bad sellers and got dinged in
return. Oh well.

Jon:

One solution for this is to have separate eBay buying and selling IDs. It's
not perfect, but at least you won't pick up any retaliatory negatives
against your selling ID from a bad seller.

Gerry