Robert L. Bass

Default Denon vs Yamaha receiver

Although it's a little quaint to focus in on Krooger's krappy
kristianity karryings-on...

Hmm. I've only seen Arny post about things related to audio. I don't
recall him ever posting anything about Christianity before. Maybe I missed
something.

Robert L. Bass

Hey guys, do you like the Denon or the Yamaha?

I prefer Yamaha and Jesus. However, neither one has done anything to
promote the other. :^)

Robert L. Bass

There are NO absolute truths.

If this is true, then it contradicts itself.

That reminds me of an old joke we shared something like 45 years ago. You
would hand someone a slip of paper with the following written on the front.
"The statement on the other side of this paper is true."

On the reverse it said: "The statement on the other side of this paper is
false."

RLB

Robert L. Bass

But Newton's laws can be recreated and verified.

Those things which we call "laws of science" are conclusions drawn from
observable and (usually) repeatable phenomena. If there is no God then
everything that happens is simply chance. If there is a God and if He is
omnipotent, then the "laws of science" are simply observations of the way He
usually does things.

I've experimented with Newton's laws many times. Roll too far to the left
or right while sleeping and gravity causes rapid acceleration for a brief
moment. Let go of the remote while changing channels and the same thing
happens. I have proved many of Archimedes' principles in everyday life
while moving furniture, using a screwdriver to pry open a box, etc. I have
also experimented with some of the things Jesus said and found them to be
reliable and repeatable.

Either way, Yamaha makes nice mid-priced receivers.

Robert L. Bass

Yes, you've shown yourself to be a deluded clown,
no question.

Thank you very much. Have you seen a bright red wig and putty nose? I seem
to have misplaced them.

Krooger has both the same affliction, however,
and equally no shame about admitting his
anti-science superstitions in public, and on top
of that he's vile and disgusting beyond words.

Being unashamed of one's faith is considered a good thing among those who
have faith. As to Arny being vile and disgusting, I really can't say. I've
only seen him post about audio and in that regard he's knowledgeable and
seems fair minded enough.

I'm constantly amazed that you jesus freaks and
bible-thumpers think you should blare your
stupidity to the whole world.

One of the advantages of being so stupid is that I'm not particularly upset
if others disagree with my beliefs. As to the "blaring" part, that goes
with the belief system.

Do you consider yourself an advocate of science,
like your demented friend Krooger does?

I'd be more inclined to consider myself an observer of science. Since
science is a collection of observations of how things work it really needs
no advocates. Gravity seems to function equally well regardless whether I
endorse it in public.

Your bible is nothing but an ancient text...

Actually, mine was printed a few years ago. It is based on some pretty
ancient texts though.

written by people whose knowledge of the cosmos
was so primitive it didn't even include Earth being
a satellite of the Sun.

Perhaps the One who inspired the ancient texts didn't consider the orbit of
the earth to be the focus issue.

If you think such a book could be a valid
explanation of the origin of life on Earth,
you have a screw loose.

Probably more than just one, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid
explanation of life. :^)

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc normanstrong wrote:

"badger" cferriola@1remove numbers2triad.rr.com wrote in message
Hey guys, do you like the Denon or the Yamaha?
Clay

I like both of them. My advice would be the expand the list to
include some cheaper, more capable receivers that also have a good
reputation, such as Panasonic. Then peruse the instruction manuals
which are usually posted on the manufacturer's web site. This will
tell you what features the receiver has and what's missing (possibly a
phono stage.) Then make your decision.

Remember, the manufacturer is only responsible for what it says on the
spec sheet. The difference between 75W and 80W is 5W--not nothing.

But it may not be 5W either. ;

See this helpful spreadsheet, which compared mfrs spec with bench
performance

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc Robert L. Bass wrote:
Hey guys, do you like the Denon or the Yamaha?

I prefer Yamaha and Jesus. However, neither one has done anything to
promote the other. :^)

Jesus never sounded as good to me as a Yamaha.

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc Arny Krueger wrote:

"Andrew M." wrote in message

Maybe you didn't say it but someone did.

Speaks to your vague connection with reality, Andrew.

Any reference to Jesus is a
reference to that work of fiction called the bible...Go tout it
somewhere else.

Shows your bigotry and hysterical state of mind, Andrew. People mention
various written works of opinion, fact, theory, poetry, stories,
prognostication, you name it; all the time and as a rule nobody goes
ballistic.

OTOH if someone should be so brave as to mention the Bible in public, it's
not uncommon for some pathetic hysterical Christian-hating bigot to fly off
the handle and say all sorts of crazy things. I suggest Andrew that you
recognize that at the very least the Bible is just another written work of
opinion, fact, theory, poetry, stories, prognostication, you name it, and
get on with the rest of your life.

It is, however a written work which has has, from some poitns of view,
a vastly inordinate amount of
influence over many people's lives, including those who would rather
not be influenced by it at all. And this has gone on for centuries.

Hence the rancor.

Personally I prefer Moby Dick to the Bible. I'd like to see
more Melville refs and less references to Bibles and Jesus and such,
generally.

WHAT WOULD ISHMAEL DO?

__
-S.

Steven Sullivan

[...]

"Blaring' is by definition annoying, whether it comes from passing
automobiles with their subwoofers cranked, or from passing
believers with their faith cranked. It's most considerate
of others to keep it to yourself in both cases, rather than blaring.

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc brew ziggins wrote:
"Andrew M." wrote in message

There are NO absolute truths.

If this is true, then it contradicts itself.

Great, now smoke is coming out of my computer.

YOU ARE NOT OF THE BODY.

--
-S.

Robert L. Bass

"Blaring' is by definition annoying, whether it comes
from passing automobiles with their subwoofers
cranked, or from passing believers with their faith
cranked. It's most considerate of others to keep it to
yourself in both cases, rather than blaring.

Interesting. I made an 8-word side comment within an on-topic post in the
middle of a thread about Yamaha and Denon receivers. Several other folks
got very nasty in their responses, posted insults and flames. Yet you worry
that whether my comment about my personal beliefs might offend someone
else's sensibilities.

Robert L. Bass

Personally I prefer Moby Dick to the Bible.
I'd like to see more Melville refs and less
references to Bibles and Jesus and such, generally.

WHAT WOULD ISHMAEL DO?

Interesting choice of literature. One of the many undercurrents of "Moby
Dick" was the strange friendship between two of the protagonists -- Ishmael
and Queequeg -- who agreed to disagree on matters of religion.

"Their achievement of mutual tolerance, coming as it does before the
monomaniac Ahab has appeared on the scene, forms both a prelude and a
contrast to the book's main story, suggesting mixity and non-dogmatism as an
alternative to Ahab's confrontational, all-or-nothing relation to the
universe." -- CHRISTOPHER ROLLASON

Imagine what Melville might have written if he were our contemporary. :^)

Robert L. Bass

Jesus never sounded as good to me as a Yamaha.

Ah, but you've never heard His voice.

Rob Adelman

Robert L. Bass wrote:

Jesus never sounded as good to me as a Yamaha.

Ah, but you've never heard His voice.

Isn't it on an old 78 some where? g

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:45:03 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"
wrote:

I really can't say. I've
only seen him post about audio and in that regard he's knowledgeable and
seems fair minded enough.

You really think that the things that he's been posting about me are
'fair-minded"?

Oh wait - maybe you're only reading this on one of the groups *not*
rec.audio.opinion.

I'd suggest you taking a meander over there and see the things he's
been writing about me.

If you want to know the truth about Mr. Krueger, you'll have to go
there to see his true nature.
P Stamler

..2+2=4?

Evidently you haven't been using the calculator in Windows lately.

Peace,
Paul
Robert L. Bass

Because Yamaha has a terrible reputation. Few Yamaha
products have ever gotten favorable reviews in the American
audiophile magazines, whereas Denon and Onkyo products
commonly do. Some of the worst-sounding surround
products I reviewed for Stereophile were Yamaha.

Most audiophile rags will publish a great review of any product for which
the manufacturer has taken out a 4-color, full page ad.

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:57:38 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"
wrote:

Personally I prefer Moby Dick to the Bible.
I'd like to see more Melville refs and less
references to Bibles and Jesus and such, generally.

WHAT WOULD ISHMAEL DO?

Interesting choice of literature. One of the many undercurrents of "Moby
Dick" was the strange friendship between two of the protagonists -- Ishmael
and Queequeg -- who agreed to disagree on matters of religion.

"Their achievement of mutual tolerance, coming as it does before the
monomaniac Ahab has appeared on the scene, forms both a prelude and a
contrast to the book's main story, suggesting mixity and non-dogmatism as an
alternative to Ahab's confrontational, all-or-nothing relation to the
universe." -- CHRISTOPHER ROLLASON

Imagine what Melville might have written if he were our contemporary. :^)

The right wing Christians would screem for him to be pulled off of the
shelves because he was gay.

cue sarcasm alert
Robert L. Bass

You should have been drowned when they baptized you.

I wonder if you would actually be willing to kill someone for saying that
they believe. More to the point, I hope I would have the strength of
character to stand up for my beliefs if that was about to happen. :^)

Robert L. Bass

"Drown all the Christians!"

That's been tried. They've also been hung, speared, jailed, beheaded,
crucified, etc (though not all at once) over the centuries. Somehow
Christianity not only remains but spreads despite all those efforts to stamp
it out. Maybe there's more to it than you realize. :^)

Robert L. Bass

Isn't it on an old 78 some where? g

Eight track.

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:05:41 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"
wrote:

Because Yamaha has a terrible reputation. Few Yamaha
products have ever gotten favorable reviews in the American
audiophile magazines, whereas Denon and Onkyo products
commonly do. Some of the worst-sounding surround
products I reviewed for Stereophile were Yamaha.

Most audiophile rags will publish a great review of any product for which
the manufacturer has taken out a 4-color, full page ad.

Did Jesus whisper this in your ear?
Robert L. Bass

I really can't say. I've only seen him post about
audio and in that regard he's knowledgeable and
seems fair minded enough.

You really think that the things that he's been posting
about me are 'fair-minded"?

I saw a few comments about you supposedly posting "pedophile fantasies" but
didn't find the original reference. Unless I see such a post I give no
credence to the claim. That's a two-way street though. You can say he's
voile and disgusting but unless I see proof that he is such I will go on my
own (limited) observation. So far he's OK in my book (no, not *that* book).

Oh wait - maybe you're only reading this on one
of the groups *not* rec.audio.opinion.

It looks like the two of you have had an ongoing war of words for a while.

I'd suggest you taking a meander over there and see
the things he's been writing about me.

I see both of you posting unpleasantness about each other.

If you want to know the truth about Mr. Krueger,
you'll have to go there to see his true nature.

Nobody's perfect (with One notable exception). I'm no angel either. If
someone provokes me long enough I can get pretty nasty too. I'm not about
to go on an archeological expedition looking for who started what. Arny can
get angry at times and so, apparently, can you. None of that has much to do
with Yamaha, Denon, Jesus or me.

Regards,
Robert

=============================
Bass Home Electronics, Inc
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 Fax
941-232-0791 Wireless
Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
http://www.bass-home.com
=============================

William Sommerwerck

Hmm. I've only seen Arny post about things related to audio.
I don't recall him ever posting anything about Christianity before.
Maybe I missed something.

You missed 90% of Krooger's droppings.

I've been arguing with Arny ad infinitum, and I've never gotten the remotest
clue about his religious feelings from his postings.

Robert L. Bass

The right wing Christians would screem for
him to be pulled off of the shelves because
he was gay.

You're confusing Christians in general with the radical right. Most of us
are much more tolerant than you might think. Bear in mind that the radical
"Christian Right" is neither Christian nor right much of the time. Just as
Muslims have a small group of crazies who think they serve Allah by
murdering innocent civilians, there are a small group of loud-mouthed,
Bible-thumping jerks who use Christianity as an excuse to attack everyone
different from themselves. Most Muslims find their crazies repugnant and
most Christians find our own group of crazies despicable.

Please don't confuse Christianity with the politics of Pat Robertson and
other such monsters. We're not all machine gun-toting lemmings following
deluded, racist bigots to the precipice and killing "heathen" along the way.
There are plenty of us who don't believe in abortion but we don't ally
ourselves with the nut-cases who bomb clinics and murder doctors. We may
not believe in homosexuality but that doesn't mean we condemn homosexuals.

As a conservative Christian I believe that it is my responsibility to try to
live right and to exercise my faith -- not to force you to believe as I do.
Unfortunately, a few self-appointed "leaders" have given the rest of us a
bad name. They run around condemning others as "sinners" while ignoring the
major problems in their own lives.

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Robert L. Bass" wrote:

Personally I prefer Moby Dick to the Bible.
I'd like to see more Melville refs and less
references to Bibles and Jesus and such, generally.

WHAT WOULD ISHMAEL DO?

Interesting choice of literature. One of the many undercurrents of "Moby
Dick" was the strange friendship between two of the protagonists -- Ishmael
and Queequeg -- who agreed to disagree on matters of religion.

"Their achievement of mutual tolerance, coming as it does before the
monomaniac Ahab has appeared on the scene, forms both a prelude and a
contrast to the book's main story, suggesting mixity and non-dogmatism as an
alternative to Ahab's confrontational, all-or-nothing relation to the
universe." -- CHRISTOPHER ROLLASON

Imagine what Melville might have written if he were our contemporary. :^)

I prefer not to.

Stephen
dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:29:56 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"
wrote:

I really can't say. I've only seen him post about
audio and in that regard he's knowledgeable and
seems fair minded enough.

You really think that the things that he's been posting
about me are 'fair-minded"?

I saw a few comments about you supposedly posting "pedophile fantasies"

No, I don't think he has accused me of that.

but
didn't find the original reference. Unless I see such a post I give no
credence to the claim. That's a two-way street though. You can say he's
voile and disgusting but unless I see proof that he is such I will go on my
own (limited) observation. So far he's OK in my book (no, not *that* book).

Oh wait - maybe you're only reading this on one
of the groups *not* rec.audio.opinion.

It looks like the two of you have had an ongoing war of words for a while.

Absolutely.

I'd suggest you taking a meander over there and see
the things he's been writing about me.

I see both of you posting unpleasantness about each other.

Absolutely.

If you want to know the truth about Mr. Krueger,
you'll have to go there to see his true nature.

Nobody's perfect (with One notable exception). I'm no angel either. If
someone provokes me long enough I can get pretty nasty too. I'm not about
to go on an archeological expedition looking for who started what. Arny can
get angry at times and so, apparently, can you. None of that has much to do
with Yamaha, Denon, Jesus or me.

Agreed.

However, Arnold's anger knows no bounds.

Still, if you're going to make statements like "I've only seen him
post about audio and in that regard he's knowledgeable and seems fair
minded enough", you really *should* do your homework. 90% of the posts
that he makes on RAO are non-audio personal attack posts. Yes, 90% is
just a ballpark figure.

Regards,
Robert

=============================
Bass Home Electronics, Inc
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 Fax
941-232-0791 Wireless
Nextel Private ID - 161*21755*1
http://www.bass-home.com
=============================

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc Robert L. Bass wrote:
"Blaring' is by definition annoying, whether it comes
from passing automobiles with their subwoofers
cranked, or from passing believers with their faith
cranked. It's most considerate of others to keep it to
yourself in both cases, rather than blaring.

Interesting. I made an 8-word side comment within an on-topic post in the
middle of a thread about Yamaha and Denon receivers.

Yeah, why was that?

Several other folks
got very nasty in their responses, posted insults and flames. Yet you worry
that whether my comment about my personal beliefs might offend someone
else's sensibilities.

So, you blared, and others blared back telling you to shut up.

That tends to happen after blaring.

Like I said, best to keep it to yourself.

--
-S.

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:52:05 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"
wrote:

The right wing Christians would screem for
him to be pulled off of the shelves because
he was gay.

You're confusing Christians in general with the radical right.

No. I said right wing Christians. I didn't say Christians.

No confusion there. I was quite specific.

Most of us are much more tolerant than you might think.

I actually have a good friend that I would consider a right-wing
Christian in many ways. However, he's a tolerant guy, as well as being
one of the most knowlegeable people about modern popular music around.
So your statement even applies to a small segment of the right-wing
Christian community as well.

Bear in mind that the radical
"Christian Right" is neither Christian nor right much of the time. Just as
Muslims have a small group of crazies who think they serve Allah by
murdering innocent civilians, there are a small group of loud-mouthed,
Bible-thumping jerks who use Christianity as an excuse to attack everyone
different from themselves. Most Muslims find their crazies repugnant and
most Christians find our own group of crazies despicable.

Please don't confuse Christianity with the politics of Pat Robertson and
other such monsters.

They are right wing Christians. You can't deny that they consider
themselves Christians.

We're not all machine gun-toting lemmings following
deluded, racist bigots to the precipice and killing "heathen" along the way.
There are plenty of us who don't believe in abortion but we don't ally
ourselves with the nut-cases who bomb clinics and murder doctors. We may
not believe in homosexuality but that doesn't mean we condemn homosexuals.

But some of you do - even some not on the right wing.

As a conservative Christian I believe that it is my responsibility to try to
live right and to exercise my faith -- not to force you to believe as I do.

That's a good way to live.

Unfortunately, a few self-appointed "leaders" have given the rest of us a
bad name. They run around condemning others as "sinners" while ignoring the
major problems in their own lives.

I would also agree with that.

PS, I'm not confusing Melville with Whitman, who actually *was* gay,
BTW. I was just being sarcastic.

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:00:00 -0400, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

dave weil said:

PS, I'm not confusing Melville with Whitman, who actually *was* gay,
BTW. I was just being sarcastic.

"A man of deep and noble nature had seized me in this seclusion....
The soft ravishments of the man spun me round about in a web of
dreams.... But already I feel that this Hawthorne has dropped
germinous seeds into my soul. He expands and deepens down, the more I
contemplate him; and further and further shoots his strong New England
roots into the hot soil of my Southern soul."

Full text at http://xroads.virginia.edu/~DRBR/melville_1.html

Well, my sarcastic reference did encompass his "relationship" with
Hawthorne, as well as a dig at writing about sailors, but, other than
your quoted prose, which is pretty unveiled for the times, is there
any evidence that he was indeed gay? Or do you think it was
sublimated?

What did his wife have to say on the subject?

(and no, I'm not implying that he couldn't be gay because he was
married)

Josh Snider

in article , Robert L. Bass at
wrote on 9/25/03 14.52:

[...]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Funny how these people who want to attack 'Christians' don't do enough real
looking to make sure they've got the target right. Shoot first and ask
questions later.

You're more then free to belive that its a bunch of superstition and
nonsense. For all I know you could be right...

For all you know, so could I...

Probably better not to press the issue then huh?

josh.snider
cave.productions
416.524.6927

dave weil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:49:26 -0400, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

Funny how these people who want to attack 'Christians' don't do enough real
looking to make sure they've got the target right. Shoot first and ask
questions later.

Did you miss my clear statement that I was referring only to
"right-wing Christians"? Or were you too busy judging?

Andrew M.

Josh Snider wrote:
in article , Robert L. Bass at
wrote on 9/25/03 14.52:

[...]

All I have to say is "Prove it!", and your argument doesn't exist. One
cannot justify faith...so YOU drop it.

badger

Just for the record.... In the bible, It says that Jesus spoke to people
everywhere and all the time.

It also says that person were to follow in his footsteps and preach and
teach everywhere.

Therefore, If Christians believe the Bible, then they have no choice but to
speak of it everywhere and all the time.

Now let's drop it guys. Let's not make it a religious forum, but let's not
get carried away trying to force non religious views either.
Clay

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Robert L. Bass said:

FTR, you are responding to Arny. He didn't thump anything. The comment
about Jesus was in my post.

Yes, you've shown yourself to be a deluded clown, no question. Krooger
has both the same affliction, however, and equally no shame about
admitting his anti-science superstitions in public, and on top of that
he's vile and disgusting beyond words.

I'm constantly amazed that you jesus freaks and bible-thumpers think
you should blare your stupidity to the whole world. Do you consider
yourself an advocate of science, like your demented friend Krooger
does? Your bible is nothing but an ancient text, written by people
whose knowledge of the cosmos was so primitive it didn't even include
Earth being a satellite of the Sun. If you think such a book could be
a valid explanation of the origin of life on Earth, you have a screw
loose.

William Sommerwerck

PS, I'm not confusing Melville with Whitman, who actually
*was* gay, BTW. I was just being sarcastic.

Yeah, but there's no doubt Herman had strong same-sex feelings he was probably
consciously aware of. He was fully aware of what -- uh -- seamen did "below
deck." (Joke intended.) He mentions it in at least one novel.

And then there's that notorious scene at the beginning of "Moby Dick." I knew
someone who grew up in New England, where "Moby Dick" was required reading in
high school. He told me the editions they read altered that scene to remove the
implicitly sexual elements. Which is most of the scene.

The famous lines about Hawthorne are also telling.

William Sommerwerck

It also says that person were to follow in his footsteps
and preach and teach everywhere.

And heal people, too... Which everyone conveniently ignores. If you can't heal,
you're not a Christian.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Andrew M." wrote in message

There are NO absolute truths.

In some abstract philosophical sense within the limits of human knowledge,
that's probably true.

Maybe you aren't a turd afterall.
Nah, there ARE absolute truths.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

My remarks in this thread were entirely non-Christian.

All of your remarks are entierly non-Christian.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Robert L. Bass" wrote in message

Interesting. I made an 8-word side comment within an on-topic post in the
middle of a thread about Yamaha and Denon receivers. Several other folks
got very nasty in their responses, posted insults and flames. Yet you

worry
that whether my comment about my personal beliefs might offend someone
else's sensibilities.

Your personal beliefs were stated as being an "Absolute Truth".
That is waht made it so offensive to a number of people.

Used Yamaha receiver EBG General 4 June 22nd 04 07:41 PM
Denon AVR-2803 or Yamaha RX-V1400 Eddie E Audio Opinions 0 December 27th 03 10:36 PM
Question regarding "tone defeat" button on Denon receiver RobH Audio Opinions 0 November 8th 03 01:51 PM
Denon vs Yamaha receiver Jason Wong Audio Opinions 514 October 29th 03 07:53 AM
What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc) MarkW General 1 September 15th 03 12:10 PM