John Steed

Default Bryston Vs. Bryston

I have the opportunity to purchase, for basically the same price, one of
two Bryston demo amps. A 3B-SST or a 4B-ST. I have heard that the sst's
are smoother than the previous st's, but the 4 is more powerful than the 3
and was well reviewed.
I would be adding it to a B-60, combined with an Arcam CD92, Rega P3 and
Maggie 1.6's.

Does anyone have any experience with these amps in a similar system?

Thanks
CCSman

Go with the SST. The difference between the power output of the 3 amps is 3dB,
which is very, very small. You would need a 10dB difference to perceive a
doubling of the volume
Uptown Audio

You should of course, listen to both and make-up your own mind. That
said, we do sell Bryston amplifiers and I would probably opt for the
4B with the Magnepans. The 3B-SST is powerful enough and has a more
transparent sound (less of it's own sound and more clean transient
power). The 4B-ST has a warmer overall sound and will help fill-in the
bass region better as well as just having a bottomless reserve of
power on tap for virtually any application. It is really up to what
you think the system needs. If it is a little bright or bass-shy, then
the 4B-ST, if it is rather warm and rich, then the 3B-SST.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"John Steed" wrote in message
I have the opportunity to purchase, for basically the same price,

one of
two Bryston demo amps. A 3B-SST or a 4B-ST. I have heard that the

sst's
are smoother than the previous st's, but the 4 is more powerful than

the 3
and was well reviewed.
I would be adding it to a B-60, combined with an Arcam CD92, Rega P3

and
Maggie 1.6's.

Does anyone have any experience with these amps in a similar system?

Thanks

Tha Ghee

"CCSman" wrote in message
Go with the SST. The difference between the power output of the 3 amps is

3dB,
which is very, very small. You would need a 10dB difference to perceive a
doubling of the volume

this only true at certain frequencies, the frequencies that the ears are
more sensitive it can be a dB or fraction of that.