Steven Sullivan

Default Bravo!

I have been slogging my way through some of the audio mags for a few months
now, noting instances of dubious claims of difference, as per my post a few
months back about the preponderance of such claims, which someone here
questioned. I must report that after even one issue the sheer volume of
blithely-asserted nonsense in such journals begins to wear on one's soul, and
so it's been slow going. Having read the latest issue of The Audio Critic,
however, I think perhaps I don't need to bother anymore, as Peter Aczel, who
has surely been following the press at least as closely as I have for the last
decade, has echoed my perception forcefully and in spades, explaining why he's
given up pinpointing instances of misinformation in the audio press:

"We have reached the point where virtually the entire audio press
is in tacit denial of the realities of electrical engineering and
electroacoustics. The false assumptions we used to attack have
become the self-evident givens of the audio journalists. Fiction is now
accepted fact, mindless misinformation is unquestioned mainstream.

...For our newer readers I should perhaps point out all over again the
pathetic fallacy of talkign abotu soundstaging, or front-to-back-depth,
or open/closed quality, or graininess, or any other sonic characteristics
of purely electronic signal paths that are less than, say, 20 years old.
What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level, noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all.....

....What you are told in
Stereophile, TAS, and other such publications is arbitrary effect without an
explainable cause." -- Peter Aczel 'Our Last Hip Boots Column', TAC 29, p 5.

Refreshingly blunt, no-nonsense editorializing, detailed technical and
listening reports on components that *forbid* the usual subjectivist
flights of fancy, *and* he's extroardinarily rude to letter-writers. My
subscription check's in the mail!

--
-S.
______

Ron Stewart

Default Bravo - Audio Citic?

I've subscribed to Peter's mag since it first came out and I have never been
'shafted'! He has always fullfilled his subscription obligation even if it
took 2 to 3 years to complete a 4 issue subscription.
Ron
"Mkuller" wrote in message

Isn't this the same Audio Critic - Peter Aczel - who used his magazine to
promote his Fourier loudspeaker company with a rave review - without

mentioning
the company was his? And then after he was called on this by the

legitimate
audio press, didn't he stop publishing and shaft all of those with paid
subscriptions? Real credible source.
Regards,
Mike

Bruno Putzeys

Lads & Lasses,

I find it quite presumptious to claim that
" What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level,
noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all....."

Let's have a few counterexamples.
1)Add a pre-echo to a signal at -40dB, spaced 10ms away from the main
signal. The frequency response of such a process is flat to within
+/-0.05dB, the ripples 100Hz apart. Inaudible? Someone stepping through the
audio band at 3rd octave intervals would miss it completely. Looking at a
sinewave on the scope wouldn't tell you anything.

2)Jitter. Jitter has been proven to be audible. Listening tests have been
performed (have a look at Julian Dunns papers on www.nanophon.com ) to
determine a gabarith of the jitter spectrum above which the effects are
audible. Yet, neither spec tests which are quoted will catch jitter. Before
its importance was realised, the objectivist brigade shooed when the
audibility of digital cables and sources was noted. Once it was proven
though, they all suddenly heard it too (it was allowed). Now there's what I
call autosuggestion.

Here's the upshot: audible differences between electrical devices must by
definition be measurable electrically. Nowhere does it say though that our
existing measurement techniques cq figures-of-merit are all that is needed
to bring to light the electrical phenomena involved. Any claim, by anyone,
that our knowledge on a certain subject is complete, is thoroughly
unscientific.

In the meantime, and even afterwards, "depth", "air", "punch" -and what have
you- are not measurements. They are simply a description of how certain
electrical phenomena sound to the human ear when applied to audio. The most
obvious example is 2nd harmonic distortion, which is invariably described as
"warm" or "fat" sounding. What do you want? "You know, it sounds, well, 2nd
harmonic"? I imagine going "It sounds very -20dBC at 1kHz off 256*Fs".

So, will the people who enjoy their audio using measuring equipment please
leave some room for those who prefer to use their ears? We are listening to
the same electronic phenomena. If some like to talk about it in human terms
instead of numbers, let them. If they discover something unexpected in the
process, start looking for the cause instead of denying it based on prewar
technical concepts.
It is the same in any field of science and engineering though. Scientists
can nearly bite off each-others head over hypotheses. Objective it ain't.

Best,

Bruno

Thomas Krueger

Steven Sullivan wrote in message ...
..For our newer readers I should perhaps point out all over again the
pathetic fallacy of talkign abotu soundstaging, or front-to-back-depth,
or open/closed quality, or graininess, or any other sonic characteristics
of purely electronic signal paths that are less than, say, 20 years old.
What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level, noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all.....

I'm afraid not. Depending on the frequency involved, localization
occurs based on intensity differences between the ears (mostly at the
lower frequencies, if I remember right) and the time delay, or phase
difference, between the ears.

People can indeed tell from which direction a sound is coming, with
one notable exception: you cannot (so the text says) tell where a
sound is coming from if you get the same sound at both ears; for
example, when the sound is directly in front of you, above you, or
behind you.

Some recordings attempt to preserve or artificially create the cues
that assist people to localize sounds. I find it very easy to believe
that certain combinations of equipment that minimize irregularities in
phase shift will tend to reproduce these cues more accurately as they
were recorded.

The simple fact is that reactive components will cause a phase shift
in the electrical signal and the output isn't going to match the
input. Matching that phase shift between components, your environment,
and your desires is a perfectly valid goal. Otherwise, why bother
positioning your speakers, for example?

One thing I *will* point out to our younger readers and anyone else,
is that any soundstage experience you have will be profoundly affected
by your past experience. For example, a former roommate would hear the
soundstage of most recordings behind the speakers whereas I generally
hear the soundstage in front of the speakers. Why? I'm not sure anyone
knows at this point. Perhaps it is because his experiences with music
were attending performances, while mine was giving performances.

Here's a link to someone doing research on localization. The site
includes a significant number of references.

Tom

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/~duda/Duda.Research.html
chung

Bruno Putzeys wrote:
Lads & Lasses,

I find it quite presumptious to claim that
" What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level,
noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all....."

Let's have a few counterexamples.
1)Add a pre-echo to a signal at -40dB, spaced 10ms away from the main
signal. The frequency response of such a process is flat to within
+/-0.05dB, the ripples 100Hz apart. Inaudible? Someone stepping through the
audio band at 3rd octave intervals would miss it completely. Looking at a
sinewave on the scope wouldn't tell you anything.

Frequency response is not limited to amplitude response over frequency.
It includes group delay and phase responses, too.

2)Jitter. Jitter has been proven to be audible. Listening tests have been
performed (have a look at Julian Dunns papers on www.nanophon.com ) to
determine a gabarith of the jitter spectrum above which the effects are
audible. Yet, neither spec tests which are quoted will catch jitter. Before
its importance was realised, the objectivist brigade shooed when the
audibility of digital cables and sources was noted. Once it was proven
though, they all suddenly heard it too (it was allowed). Now there's what I
call autosuggestion.

Distortion is not limited to non-linear, power-series type of
distortion. It includes jitter, which can be observed as a signal at the
ourput that is not present at the input (hence distortion). Similar to
how one measures phase noise and intermudulation products.

Here's the upshot: audible differences between electrical devices must by
definition be measurable electrically. Nowhere does it say though that our
existing measurement techniques cq figures-of-merit are all that is needed
to bring to light the electrical phenomena involved. Any claim, by anyone,
that our knowledge on a certain subject is complete, is thoroughly
unscientific.

Not complete perhaps, but good enough. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

In the meantime, and even afterwards, "depth", "air", "punch" -and what have
you- are not measurements. They are simply a description of how certain
electrical phenomena sound to the human ear when applied to audio. The most
obvious example is 2nd harmonic distortion, which is invariably described as
"warm" or "fat" sounding. What do you want? "You know, it sounds, well, 2nd
harmonic"? I imagine going "It sounds very -20dBC at 1kHz off 256*Fs".

So, will the people who enjoy their audio using measuring equipment please
leave some room for those who prefer to use their ears?

It seems to me that those who place high value on measurements have
always stated that preference is sacrosanct. It is those who insist that
everything must be subjective and that the engineers don't listen to
music who seem to leave no room for those who prefer accuracy and
finding out if things really do *sound* different, and enjoy music at
the same time, thank you.

We are listening to
the same electronic phenomena. If some like to talk about it in human terms
instead of numbers, let them. If they discover something unexpected in the
process, start looking for the cause instead of denying it based on prewar
technical concepts.

Fine, but have you noticed that there are posters here who do not want
to start looking for the causes? And then there are those who don't care
about accuracy?

On the other hand, when has an "objectivist" deny something based on
prewar technical concepts? All they insist is to make sure the
"something" is real first, and not a figment of one's imagination. Don't
you think that's a fair thing to do?

It is the same in any field of science and engineering though. Scientists
can nearly bite off each-others head over hypotheses. Objective it ain't.

Now you are stretching. Of course there are areas of hot debates in
science. But in audio reproduction as in amps and cables?

Best,

Bruno

Steven Sullivan

Thomas Krueger wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message ...
..For our newer readers I should perhaps point out all over again the
pathetic fallacy of talkign abotu soundstaging, or front-to-back-depth,
or open/closed quality, or graininess, or any other sonic characteristics
of purely electronic signal paths that are less than, say, 20 years old.
What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level, noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all.....

I'm afraid not. Depending on the frequency involved, localization
occurs based on intensity differences between the ears (mostly at the
lower frequencies, if I remember right) and the time delay, or phase
difference, between the ears.

So, I need to write Mr. Aczel and ask him to add 'phase difference'?
Because the other ingredients, frequency and level, are already
accounted for.

I suspect that Mr. Aczel is aware of phase effects, so I wonder if perhaps
he somehow subsumed them under the other categories of 'things the
ear can differentiate' he names.

--
-S.
______
"You're an abuser Sullivan....a base beast with
intellect but little intelligence to show for it" -- KENNEH!

Bruno Putzeys

"chung" wrote in message
Bruno Putzeys wrote:
Lads & Lasses,

I find it quite presumptious to claim that
" What the human ear can differentiate are frequency response, level,
noise,
and to a lesser extent distortion. That's all....."

Let's have a few counterexamples.
1)Add a pre-echo to a signal at -40dB, spaced 10ms away from the main
signal. The frequency response of such a process is flat to within
+/-0.05dB, the ripples 100Hz apart. Inaudible? Someone stepping through

the
audio band at 3rd octave intervals would miss it completely. Looking at

sinewave on the scope wouldn't tell you anything.

Frequency response is not limited to amplitude response over frequency.
It includes group delay and phase responses, too.

Yes, but the awareness of the importance of these other incarnations of
frequency response is still low. Certainly among those with the strongest
views.

[...]

You mean it includes any non-linear effect, regardless of what is needed to
detect it. In that case I admire your broad-mindedness. It means you will
agree that cable artefacts will be standard fare once we figured out how to
measure them.

Here's the upshot: audible differences between electrical devices must

by
definition be measurable electrically. Nowhere does it say though that

our
existing measurement techniques cq figures-of-merit are all that is

needed
to bring to light the electrical phenomena involved. Any claim, by

anyone,
that our knowledge on a certain subject is complete, is thoroughly
unscientific.

Not complete perhaps, but good enough. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

That is your view.

[...]

I am pretty much a "meter reader" when designing. However, if there's
something I can hear but cannot (yet) measure, I won't ignore it.

We are listening to
the same electronic phenomena. If some like to talk about it in human

terms
instead of numbers, let them. If they discover something unexpected in

the
process, start looking for the cause instead of denying it based on

prewar
technical concepts.

Fine, but have you noticed that there are posters here who do not want
to start looking for the causes? And then there are those who don't care
about accuracy?

Those who don't care about accuracy are outside my boundaries too (lowther
horns etc).

However, it is those who claim most strongly that this or that effect is
nonexistent that are refusing to dig into the problem.

On the other hand, when has an "objectivist" deny something based on
prewar technical concepts? All they insist is to make sure the
"something" is real first, and not a figment of one's imagination. Don't
you think that's a fair thing to do?

It is the same in any field of science and engineering though.

Scientists
can nearly bite off each-others head over hypotheses. Objective it

ain't.

Now you are stretching. Of course there are areas of hot debates in
science. But in audio reproduction as in amps and cables?

The fights are as vicious, if not more.

Best,

Bruno

chung

Bruno Putzeys wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
Bruno Putzeys wrote:
[...]

Not true. Those who you think have the strongest views are actually the
more technically inclined. You are being unnessarily condescending if
you assume they don't understand frequency response.

[...]

Well very rarely do we restrict distortion to linear effects only .

What cable artifacts are you talking about? And what is it about cables
that we don't know how to measure?

[...]

Aren't you going to first make sure that you "hear" it?

We are listening to
the same electronic phenomena. If some like to talk about it in human

terms
instead of numbers, let them. If they discover something unexpected in

the
process, start looking for the cause instead of denying it based on

prewar
technical concepts.

Fine, but have you noticed that there are posters here who do not want
to start looking for the causes? And then there are those who don't care
about accuracy?

Those who don't care about accuracy are outside my boundaries too (lowther
horns etc).

You know, reading the posts on this forum, most of the subjectivists are
"outside your boundaries", whatever that means.

However, it is those who claim most strongly that this or that effect is
nonexistent that are refusing to dig into the problem.

No, you got it wrong. What they say is first establish that the effect
is audible, by applying the proper controls. So far, no one has got past
that first step, when it comes to cables. Why dig into a "problem" when
it is not established that it is a problem? If I tell you that my CD
sounds better with red ink on it, are you going to "dig into the
problem", or are you going to verify that it does sound different first?

On the other hand, when has an "objectivist" deny something based on
prewar technical concepts? All they insist is to make sure the
"something" is real first, and not a figment of one's imagination. Don't
you think that's a fair thing to do?

It is the same in any field of science and engineering though.

Scientists
can nearly bite off each-others head over hypotheses. Objective it

ain't.

Now you are stretching. Of course there are areas of hot debates in
science. But in audio reproduction as in amps and cables?

The fights are as vicious, if not more.

Among engineers and scientists on cable sound? There are hot debates and
vicious fights over cables and amps in the engineering community? You
have to be kidding. When is the last time you see an IEEE journal
article on cable or amp sound?

Best,

Bruno

George Evans

(Mkuller) wrote in message ...
Steven Sullivan
wrote:
Having read the latest issue of The Audio Critic,
however, I think perhaps I don't need to bother anymore, as Peter Aczel, who
has surely been following the press at least as closely as I have for the
last
decade, has echoed my perception forcefully and in spades, explaining why
he's
given up pinpointing instances of misinformation in the audio press:

Isn't this the same Audio Critic - Peter Aczel - who used his magazine to
promote his Fourier loudspeaker company with a rave review - without mentioning
the company was his? And then after he was called on this by the legitimate
audio press, didn't he stop publishing and shaft all of those with paid
subscriptions? Real credible source.
Regards,
Mike

That's completely incorrect, Mike. In Volume 2, Number 3, Spring
through Fall 1980, pages 7 and 8 of the The Audio Critic Aczel gave
full disclosure of his relationship with Fourier, did not publish a
"rave review" of the loudspeaker, never used any subsequent issue of
the magazine to promote Fourier, and when The Audio Critic resumed
publishing he fulfilled the subscriptions of the old subscribers, at
least those who confirmed their current addresses at that time.

If you're going to criticize please do it on the basis of fact. The
facts on Fourier are easily obtainable and verifiable by anyone with a
collection of back issues, and there are a lot of us out there.

Thanks.

GE
Mkuller

(George Evans) wrote:
That's completely incorrect, Mike. In Volume 2, Number 3, Spring
through Fall 1980, pages 7 and 8 of the The Audio Critic Aczel gave
full disclosure of his relationship with Fourier, did not publish a
"rave review" of the loudspeaker, never used any subsequent issue of
the magazine to promote Fourier, and when The Audio Critic resumed
publishing he fulfilled the subscriptions of the old subscribers, at
least those who confirmed their current addresses at that time.

If you're going to criticize please do it on the basis of fact. The
facts on Fourier are easily obtainable and verifiable by anyone with a
collection of back issues, and there are a lot of us out there.

As a charter subscriber to Audio Critic (see my letter on pg. 44 of Vol.1,
No.1) I believe I know what I'm talking about. I went back to the issue you
named (Vol.2, No. 3, Fall 1980) read through the two page rave review he gave
the Fourier speaker and found no mention of his involvement with the company
other than he had some input on the design. As you recall, that was the last
issue of The Audio Critic for 7 years.

At that time I had helped found The Northern California Audio Society and was
publishing a monthly 7 page newsletter to our 300 members. One Saturday in
1981, I called Peter Aczel and spoke to him about his publication, the Fourier
speaker and what appeared to be a serious conflict of interest. He was very
arrogant and condescending and refused to directly answer the questions I was
asking him. He appeared to have something to hide and unhappy to have been
called on it.

The Audio Critic reappeared with issue 10 (Fall 1987). In it he wrote a
self-serving 2 page account of the Fourier saga, painting himself as a victim
of industry politics (even though he had been an audio manufacturer's public
relations hack before he began publishing). He admitted here for the first
time that he owned just less than half of the company stock, now that it was
bankrupt. I believe he still owes me a couple of issues from my subscription.
Regards,
Mike
ludovic mirabel

chung wrote in message ...
Bruno Putzeys wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Snip

What cable artifacts are you talking about? And what is it about cables
that we don't know how to measure?

One does not need to know much about electronics (I don't) to
see a primitive logical fallacy here. We don't know what there is
about cables "that we don't know how to measure" because we haven't
measured it yet. We did not know what there was to measure about a
falling apple till it happened to hit Newton on the nose. Not the way
to advance SCIENCE, that I'm sure you hold dear, Mr. Chung.

Snip
No, you got it wrong. What they say is first establish that the effect
is audible, by applying the proper controls. So far, no one has got past
that first step, when it comes to cables. Why dig into a "problem" when
it is not established that it is a problem? If I tell you that my CD
sounds better with red ink on it, are you going to "dig into the
problem", or are you going to verify that it does sound different first?

Please explain how do you "verify" and by which "proper controls" that
Tom or Harry hear what they say they do. Spell it out and show the
evidence that you have a foolproof experiment-confirmed verification
that confirms their testimony or gives it a lie.

Among engineers and scientists on cable sound? There are hot debates and
vicious fights over cables and amps in the engineering community? You
have to be kidding. When is the last time you see an IEEE journal
article on cable or amp sound?

When is the last time you saw an IEEE article on any audio component
sound? Perhaps the controversy takes place elsewhe between the
engineers such as Manley, Hafler, Strickland, Meitner, Pass and
Paravicini designing stuff and engineers in Rahe saying they can't
hear the point of it.
Ludovic Mirabel
Mkuller

mkuller wrote:
The Audio Critic reappeared with issue 10 (Fall 1987). In it he wrote a
self-serving 2 page account of the Fourier saga, painting himself as a victim
of industry politics (even though he had been an audio manufacturer's public
relations hack before he began publishing). He admitted here for the first
time that he owned just less than half of the company stock, now that it was
bankrupt. I believe he still owes me a couple of issues from my
subscription.

I don't want to criticise the Audio Critic too much, because it's such an easy
target. However, I did audition the Fourier One loudspeaker at a high end
store after it was released. Even though Aczel had touted it as the "only
fundamentally correct" speaker design, it was just another 3-way box speaker
that didn't sound like anything special. IMHO that's why Aczel's company
failed - the speaker wasn't very good.

Now was that our Audio Critic subscription money that was used to fund Aczels
45% of the Fourier loudspeaker company for 7 years? And what about all the
subscribers who changed addresses during the publication's 7 year hiatus?

Here's a guy that seemed angry to begin with, regards himself as an expert
(with little or no training), starts a speaker company with subscriber's
money, goes bankrupt and blames bad luck and industry politics. That the now
resurrected Audio Critic has a small cult following of 'objectivists' who want
to bash the High End industry should come as no surprise.
Regards,
Mike
George Evans

(George Evans) wrote:
[...]

Very interesting.

1. I differ in my view regarding Aczel's published accounts of the
Fourier affair, and cannot see how it bears upon on the editorial
integrity or credibiliy of the magazine today, or in any issue since
it resumed publication. And I disagree completely that that 1980
article constituted any kind of "rave review".

2. Wow. Twenty-two years ago you and Aczel had one conversation that
troubled you. Really, Mike, why didn't you simply write Aczel another
letter (for publication) stating your concerns when The Audio Critic
resumed publication, or at some point in the 15 years since? For that
matter, why didn't you simply write to them about your missing issues?

3. Honestly, if you feel that there is just cause for a good fight
with Peter Aczel on the subject of his personal credibility, or that
of the magazine, why are you waging warfare by proxy in this NG where
readers unfamiliar with the history may be unfairly influenced by
exposure to only what you have written, rather than hearing both sides
of this issue? Why not take the fight to the source?

Finally, at first your post irritated me, but now you only have my
sympathy. I sincerely hope that when I open the next issue of The
Audio Critic there is a blazing letter to the editor from you raising
the sword for engagement. That's where you need to take your fight.
Not here.

Regards,

GE

randyb

(Mkuller) wrote in message ...
mkuller wrote:
[...]

So the question becomes: Is it Aczel that you don't have any respect
for or the fact that that the magazine attracts objectivist? Would
you view it differently if it was published by say David Rich, or Tom
Nousaine, or Ivan Berger,or David Ranada, or Pohlman or any number of
other "objectivists"?
chung

ludovic mirabel wrote:
chung wrote in message ...
Bruno Putzeys wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Snip

What cable artifacts are you talking about? And what is it about cables
that we don't know how to measure?

One does not need to know much about electronics (I don't) to
see a primitive logical fallacy here. We don't know what there is
about cables "that we don't know how to measure" because we haven't
measured it yet.

First please establish that there is something inadequate about our
current measurements. Since you already said that you don't know much
about electronics, I would not expect you to be able to answer that.
Perhaps Mr. Bruno would enlighten us.

We did not know what there was to measure about a
falling apple till it happened to hit Newton on the nose. Not the way
to advance SCIENCE, that I'm sure you hold dear, Mr. Chung.

The way to advance science is to clearly establish that an observation
is real and repeatable first determining that our current state of
understanding is lacking. Not sure what that reference to Newton or the
apple was all about.

Snip
No, you got it wrong. What they say is first establish that the effect
is audible, by applying the proper controls. So far, no one has got past
that first step, when it comes to cables. Why dig into a "problem" when
it is not established that it is a problem? If I tell you that my CD
sounds better with red ink on it, are you going to "dig into the
problem", or are you going to verify that it does sound different first?

Please explain how do you "verify" and by which "proper controls" that
Tom or Harry hear what they say they do. Spell it out and show the
evidence that you have a foolproof experiment-confirmed verification
that confirms their testimony or gives it a lie.

Absolutely not interested to go there to satisfy you. Many on this forum
have tried. No point in wasting bandwidth. In any event, Mr Bruno has a
much better understanding of the importance of controls than you seem to
give him credit for.

Among engineers and scientists on cable sound? There are hot debates and
vicious fights over cables and amps in the engineering community? You
have to be kidding. When is the last time you see an IEEE journal
article on cable or amp sound?

When is the last time you saw an IEEE article on any audio component
sound?

Thanks for agreeing that there is no hot debate or vicious fight among
the engineering community or the scientists.

Perhaps the controversy takes place elsewhe between the
engineers such as Manley, Hafler, Strickland, Meitner, Pass and
Paravicini designing stuff and engineers in Rahe saying they can't
hear the point of it.

Please establish that there are vicious fights and hot debates among
those on amplifier and cable sound. In any event, those are boutique
audiophile designers, not the scientists and engineering community that
Mr. Bruno would refer to when he said "It is the same in any field of
science and engineering though. Scientists can nearly bite off
each-others head over hypotheses".

Ludovic Mirabel

chung

chung wrote:

The way to advance science is to clearly establish that an observation
is real and repeatable first determining that our current state of
understanding is lacking. Not sure what that reference to Newton or the
apple was all about.

Sorry, there is a word missing. It should have read "The way to advance
science is to clearly establish that an observation is real and
repeatable first *before* determining that our current state of
understanding is lacking".
Gary Rosen

"Bruno Putzeys" wrote in message

You mean it includes any non-linear effect, regardless of what is needed

detect it. In that case I admire your broad-mindedness. It means you will
agree that cable artefacts will be standard fare once we figured out how

measure them.

There are not, have never been, and never will be any cable "artefacts" that
are not *completely* accounted for by R, L and C (resistance, capacitance
and inductance).

- Gary Rosen