Brian Lamendola

Default Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2)

Well, I wrote earlier regarding a problem I had which has gotten nowhere. Here
was my post:

---------------
I have quite an odd problem. My friend and I have troubleshooted it and have
found the problem must be caused by the Alpine head unit.

I have an Alpine head unit, a Kohl Audio 360 watt amp, and two Alpine Type-E
subs. The system has worked fine for a few months. Recently, we noticed one sub
is working fine while the other is extremely low. We looked at the amp, which
is fine and found the RCA cable was the problem. We could change the sub not
working properly by switching the RCA cables in the amp.

We replaced the RCA cable with a new one, thinking that might be the solution,
and all was well. A few hours later, the problem reoccured. Once again, the
wire is not working. One part of the RCA works fine, while the other does not.
The problem can again be switched to the opposite sub by changing the wire in
the amp.

As such, we figure the head unit must be frying the RCA cable somehow. I spoke
to Alpine and I need to send the head unit back (with me paying shipping) to
have them look at it. If that isn't the problem, I pay all costs. Otherwise,
they cover it.

It's a major pain in the butt, but regardless, I'm upset this problem has
reoccurred. Has anyone heard of this problem or know of an alternate solution?-
---------------

It was suggested to me the problem was the output on the head unit itself by
members of this board. We tested it and found it must be. When the RCA cables
are switched in the back of the head unit, the sub which isn't working to full
capacity switches. The one which is NOT in the left output always works fine.
The one in it does not, but it does work a little bit. You can feel and see it.

I sent the head unit to Alpine and they said they found nothing wrong with it.
I was discouraged but decided maybe the problem had corrected itself. I
reinstalled the head unit and both subs worked fine for about 10 seconds. Then
the same problem occured, and it hasn't corrected itself since.

Now, I'm mad and frustrated and have run out of things to do. If the problem
occurs when the RCA in back of the head unit it switched, wouldn't it be the
problem? We figured it isn't the amp and obviously the subs work fine since
they are interchangable in terms of the problem.

How could the problem right itself for a few seconds and go back to how it was?
Why would one work fully and another only a little bit? I'm at a loss here,
folks. Any help is appreciated!

- Brian
Eddie Runner

why not put a Y SPLITTER on what you think is the
good RCA out of the Alpine unit, leaving the one you think
is bad unhooked...???

Both subs can be pushed by one RCA with the splitter easily
you wont even be able to tell the difference unless you happen to
balance to one side or the other with your headunit.

Eddie Runner

Brian Lamendola wrote:

[...]

Brian Lamendola

That was my backup plan, but if the amp and head unit are 2 channel, I'm
missing some signal, right?

I figure I'll do that until the problem can be solved. Anyone know a solution?
I'm out of ideas...

Thanks for the reply!

- Brian
Todd

It sounds like one channel of your amp is on the fritz. Nothing to be done for it other
than split and use the good channel or buy a new amp.

A bummer ... but the way it is
--
Todd