Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default Slider slot - how ?

How best cut a 2mm-wide slot for a 100mm fader in a die-cast box. Wants to
be a tidy as I can achieve.

Preliminary idea to drill seties of holes at one end, join holes with
needle-file, then cut down the length with 'single-ended' hacksaw blade.
But can I do it sufficiently accurately and neatly ?

Any better ideas ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Geoff wrote:
: How best cut a 2mm-wide slot for a 100mm fader in a die-cast box. Wants to
: be a tidy as I can achieve.

: Preliminary idea to drill seties of holes at one end, join holes with
: needle-file, then cut down the length with 'single-ended' hacksaw blade.
: But can I do it sufficiently accurately and neatly ?

: Any better ideas ?

Try a machine shop -- any one would have a mill, which could cut the
slot very evenly and neatly.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Geoff" wrote ...
How best cut a 2mm-wide slot for a 100mm fader in a die-cast box. Wants
to be a tidy as I can achieve.

Preliminary idea to drill seties of holes at one end, join holes with
needle-file, then cut down the length with 'single-ended' hacksaw blade.
But can I do it sufficiently accurately and neatly ?

Any better ideas ?

I've used a table-top drill press with a "cross-slide machinist's vise"
as a quick-n-dirty "milling machine" Like this one...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=538
Not precision, but then precision isn't exactly necessary for this
particular application.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Geoff" wrote ...
How best cut a 2mm-wide slot for a 100mm fader in a die-cast box. Wants
to be a tidy as I can achieve.

Preliminary idea to drill seties of holes at one end, join holes with
needle-file, then cut down the length with 'single-ended' hacksaw
blade. But can I do it sufficiently accurately and neatly ?

Any better ideas ?

I've used a table-top drill press with a "cross-slide machinist's
vise" as a quick-n-dirty "milling machine" Like this one...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=538
Not precision, but then precision isn't exactly necessary for this
particular application.

With a stubby drill-bit as the milling blade back and forward gradually ?
Or a series of holes that get needle-filed out ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Geoff" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Geoff" wrote ...
How best cut a 2mm-wide slot for a 100mm fader in a die-cast box.
Wants to be a tidy as I can achieve.

Preliminary idea to drill seties of holes at one end, join holes
with
needle-file, then cut down the length with 'single-ended' hacksaw
blade. But can I do it sufficiently accurately and neatly ?

Any better ideas ?

I've used a table-top drill press with a "cross-slide machinist's
vise" as a quick-n-dirty "milling machine" Like this one...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=538
Not precision, but then precision isn't exactly necessary for this
particular application.

With a stubby drill-bit as the milling blade back and forward
gradually ? Or a series of holes that get needle-filed out ?

With a real end-mill bit. They aren't that expensive. I got a
bunch of used ones from a machine shop that were too worn
for their precision NC use, but plenty good enough for me.
Or you could use a standard drill bit if you were very careful.

Inline Volume Slider Ricky Hunt Pro Audio 1 January 11th 07 12:04 PM
Mackie 1604 slider part number [email protected] Pro Audio 1 July 28th 06 01:22 AM
Slot v Tray Dirk Bruere Tech 9 May 21st 06 06:02 AM
What to do with a double-din slot? Bruce C. Miller Car Audio 15 February 1st 05 12:34 AM
Does Audacity have a slider-bar ? wylbur37 Tech 8 September 27th 04 02:03 AM