Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] unseenforcez@yahoo.com is offline

Default I have a Santa Cruz card I want to record on my pc..Help!!!

I just want to lay down some song ideas with
keys,guitar,vocals,bass..just to get an idea of what i want it to sound
like.I have read that people have used the Turtle beach santa cruz with
good results.i happen to have this card,but how do I hook my guitar etc
into the card?There must be an adapter I need.I have 0 knowledge of pc
recording.I have used a 4 track analog and an akai dps machine
before.Like I said i just wanna get some tracks down to listen and
decide what sounds best together,this is in no way a recording demo
project or professional music endeavor.I plan to eventually go into a
professional studio to record the finished product.Im a
songwriter/guitarist.I dont have time to learn difficult software
progs.thanks for any advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Philipp Wachtel Philipp Wachtel is offline

unseenforcez:
I just want to lay down some song ideas with
keys,guitar,vocals,bass..just to get an idea of what i want it to
sound like.

Thatīs a good idea and many other people work this way. But as this is a
newsgroup for professional recording, your question might be better
suited in the home-studio newsgroup

There are people, who just (want to) do the same like you. I suggest
asking there again and lurking (reading) the pro group here, too.

Besides that, there are numerous websites describing what you need and
how to get started with home-recording on a computer. Google for "home
recording" and similar words...
For a first idea, check out the FAQ website for the home-studio group:

http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amh-s-faq.html

product.Im a songwriter/guitarist.I dont have time to learn difficult
software progs.thanks for any advice.

Well, youīre new to it, so you will have to learn a few things... Since
you already have some experience with the 4 track tape and the Akai DPS,
you already know some things about the basics of recording. These are
generally the same, no matter what you use to record. What you need to
learn about are computer-recording specific aspects, but itīs not that
complicated.

Before you do anything, make sure you have the latest driver for the
Santa Cruz installed:

ftp://ftp.voyetra.com/pub/tbs/santacru/sc_4193.exe

The according page gives a lot of information related to the card. Read
up there, what sound relevant to you:
http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585.asp

First off, you need a program that lets you record multi-track. There is
a small one available for free, called "Kristal Audio Engine" - fixed 16
tracks, 2 fx inserts per track, simple interface with good overview. I
think, itīs the best and easiest program to start with. Give it a try:

http://kreatives.org/kristal

It also works with "ASIO" (a special driver standard for pro level sound
cards) drivers, and there is no dedicated ASIO driver for the "Santa
Cruz" card, download "ASIO4all" to simulate ASIO for your cardīs driver.

http://asio4all.com

First, start ASIO4all and select the Santa Cruzīs inputs/outputs.
After that, start Kristal and choose ASIO4all as sound driver:
- Engine - Preferences - Devices

This should get you started. If you have further questions, ask in the
home-studio group. And it would be good, to tell us some more technical
details about your computer. What processor (model, speed), mainboard
chipset, how much RAM? The more details you give, the easier it is to
help you.

Good luck,

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] unseenforcez@yahoo.com is offline

Thanks Phil

I am running an AMDXP2400+ CLOCKED TO 3.2 which is technically running
at 2.2gz
512 mb two hard drives one NTSF ASUS 80 gb.One Iomega FAT 32 160,both
are 7200 speed.XP operating system.One cd burner.one NEC dvd
burner.Sounds like to me if i have to buy direct boxes and mic
preamps,I might as well buy a Korg d16 off ebay for $200 and be done
with it.