Posted to rec.audio.tech
Albie Albie is offline

Default SATA ROM Burner Functions Down To 4X?

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available, DVD/CD ROM
burner with a SATA interface suitable for use with a desktop PC that
will allow for recording as low as 4X? tia. Albie
Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:27:57 -0500, Albie wrote:
Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available, DVD/CD ROM
burner with a SATA interface suitable for use with a desktop PC that
will allow for recording as low as 4X? tia. Albie

all of them will allow you to burn slower than maximum.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Albie" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available,
DVD/CD ROM burner with a SATA interface suitable for use
with a desktop PC that will allow for recording as low as
4X? tia. Albie

Nope.

I just checked my Asus DRW 2014L1T, and with the supplied Nero software, 8x
is as slow as it will go. At least with the blank I tested it with.

DVD burners seem to be like cars.They will all go fast, and they will all
stop at a light, but there are some low speeds that they aren't exactly
comfortable with.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Albie" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available,
DVD/CD ROM burner with a SATA interface suitable for use
with a desktop PC that will allow for recording as low as
4X? tia. Albie

Nope.

I just checked my Asus DRW 2014L1T, and with the supplied Nero software,

8x
is as slow as it will go. At least with the blank I tested it with.

There's the catch, most blanks have a range of speeds they are rated at, and
Nero will only display those it finds in the ATIP. Grab an old 4x disk and
try it again. I don't have an ASUS burner though, so no guarantees. The real
question is whether burning at 4x gains you anything with modern disks
anyway? IMO, if they are not rated at that speed there is probably a reason.
I do normally use 8x though rather than 16x+.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Albie wrote:

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available, DVD/CD ROM
burner with a SATA interface suitable for use with a desktop PC that
will allow for recording as low as 4X?

That might be silly, I get lower error rates burning X16.

This issue is - as I see it - mostly an exposure time issue, you need to
find a speed that the drive easily aligns itself for the actual disk at.

Remember that CD-Roms are permanently light sensitive, store unexposed as
well as exposed media in a dark cupboard, box or drawer.

tia. Albie

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Albie Albie is offline

Peter,

For pete's sake, what is the make and model of
your burner, and your media brand? tia

albie

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 05:27:55 +0100, "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

Albie wrote:

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available, DVD/CD ROM
burner with a SATA interface suitable for use with a desktop PC that
will allow for recording as low as 4X?

That might be silly, I get lower error rates burning X16.

This issue is - as I see it - mostly an exposure time issue, you need to
find a speed that the drive easily aligns itself for the actual disk at.

Remember that CD-Roms are permanently light sensitive, store unexposed as
well as exposed media in a dark cupboard, box or drawer.

tia. Albie

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Albie topposted, fixed it:

Does anyone know of a decent, commercially-available, DVD/CD ROM
burner with a SATA interface suitable for use with a desktop PC that
will allow for recording as low as 4X?

That might be silly, I get lower error rates burning X16.

For pete's sake, what is the make and model of
your burner, and your media brand? tia

Plextor Premium CD-burner, it is an IDE and not a recent model, but this is
not about the interface. It costs X4 in comparison with the toys but will do
CD-text, a lot of DVD burners doesn't, and allows the full functionality of
Plextools. For media I use Taiyo Yuden if I can get them, Verbatim if I
can't.

albie

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Plextor Premium CD-burner, it is an IDE and not a recent model, but this

is
not about the interface. It costs X4 in comparison with the toys but will

do
CD-text, a lot of DVD burners doesn't,

I haven't seen a burner that doesn't do CD-Text for years, nor any good
reason to pay 4 times the price for the Plextor badge any more.

and allows the full functionality of Plextools.

But which tools do you need that have no equivalent on other burners any
more? Even years ago you could use Kprobe with a Lite-On for example. Or
Nero's tools with almost anything.

For media I use Taiyo Yuden if I can get them, Verbatim if I
can't.

Much more important than the brand on the burner these days IMO, *IF* your
burner handles those disks well of course. Many do.

Plextors are fine of course, value for money is for you to decide. Don't
claim they make better burns on those disks mentioned without testing all
the competition though. There are certainly combinations of burners and
disks that do provide low quality however, so I can understand why sticking
with what works for you is a good strategy if you can afford it. The fact
that it's an older model probably means you got your money's worth in any
case.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...

Plextor Premium CD-burner, it is an IDE and not a recent model, but
this is not about the interface. It costs X4 in comparison with the
toys but will do CD-text, a lot of DVD burners doesn't,

I haven't seen a burner that doesn't do CD-Text for years, nor any
good reason to pay 4 times the price for the Plextor badge any more.

Mention some dvd-burners that do ... I tried forcing one to do it in spite
of Feurio say8ing that it couldn't, that was not a good idea.

and allows the full functionality of Plextools.

But which tools do you need that have no equivalent on other burners
any more? Even years ago you could use Kprobe with a Lite-On for
example. Or Nero's tools with almost anything.

Thank you, nice to know in case I need a new drive, but no reason to replace
the drive I got when those choices did not exist.

For media I use Taiyo Yuden if I can get them, Verbatim if I
can't.

Much more important than the brand on the burner these days IMO, *IF*
your burner handles those disks well of course. Many do.

Plextors are fine of course, value for money is for you to decide.
Don't claim they make better burns on those disks mentioned without
testing all the competition though.

I make no such claim, I intentionally did not mention neither burner nor
disks initially because of the many variabilities, but when asked I replied
on what I do.

There are certainly combinations
of burners and disks that do provide low quality however, so I can
understand why sticking with what works for you is a good strategy if
you can afford it. The fact that it's an older model probably means
you got your money's worth in any case.

Back when I got it it only was twice as expensive as the average stuff, gee
.... probably some 5+ years ago. Definitely worth what I payed then.

MrT

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
Plextor Premium CD-burner, it is an IDE and not a recent model, but
this is not about the interface. It costs X4 in comparison with the
toys but will do CD-text, a lot of DVD burners doesn't,

I haven't seen a burner that doesn't do CD-Text for years, nor any
good reason to pay 4 times the price for the Plextor badge any more.

Mention some dvd-burners that do ...

Let's see, I have a Pioneer, Lite-On and Samsung right here. All do.
It would be easier to name one recent drive that doesn't, because I don't
know of any.

I tried forcing one to do it in spite
of Feurio say8ing that it couldn't, that was not a good idea.

Might be a problem with Feuro? Have you tried Nero or anything else?
What was the Drive model BTW?

Thank you, nice to know in case I need a new drive, but no reason to

replace
the drive I got when those choices did not exist.

Sure, but thankfully a Plextor is not the only game in town any longer.

I make no such claim, I intentionally did not mention neither burner nor
disks initially because of the many variabilities, but when asked I

replied
on what I do.

No, you certainly implied it was *necessary* to pay "x4 price" for a Plextor
rather than buy "toys".

Back when I got it it only was twice as expensive as the average stuff,

gee
... probably some 5+ years ago. Definitely worth what I payed then.

I could easily say the same about a 4-5 year old Pioneer.
I certainly won't say it about my slightly older Lite-On though! :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T wrote:

I haven't seen a burner that doesn't do CD-Text for years, nor any
good reason to pay 4 times the price for the Plextor badge any more.

Mention some dvd-burners that do ...

Let's see, I have a Pioneer, Lite-On and Samsung right here. All do.
It would be easier to name one recent drive that doesn't, because I
don't know of any.

Interesting, thanks.

I tried forcing one to do it in spite
of Feurio say8ing that it couldn't, that was not a good idea.

I will add that I was impatient and skipped Feurio's initial setup.

Might be a problem with Feuro? Have you tried Nero or anything else?

No, I like Feurio very much for setting PQ codes and it is conceptually easy
to have the archive as Feurio Projects, I have more faith in keeping it
spinning than in keeping it on CD-R's.

The problem with Feurio is that the guys lawyers warned against updating it
to a new major version as a result of the influence IFPI & RIAA lobbying has
had on copyright laws over here and updates to the drive parameter list
seems to have become a mere trickle.

What was the Drive model BTW?

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-HD2N ex works drive in a HP ML115 G1.

Thank you, nice to know in case I need a new drive, but no reason to
replace the drive I got when those choices did not exist.

Sure, but thankfully a Plextor is not the only game in town any
longer.

To me the choice was very much a choice of getting Plextools Professional.

I could easily say the same about a 4-5 year old Pioneer.

I hear you, you are not the first to voice that opinion.

MrT.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Peter Larsen wrote:

Mr.T wrote:

I tried forcing one to do it in spite
of Feurio say8ing that it couldn't, that was not a good idea.

I will add that I was impatient and skipped Feurio's initial setup.

Might be a problem with Feuro? Have you tried Nero or anything else?

It appears to be a defective burner.

Peter Larsen

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
It appears to be a defective burner.

Yes, no shortage of them. (Amazing they work at all considering what you can
buy them for these days.)
Fortunately they are cheap enough now to simply buy another one.
Personally I've had a good run with Pioneer, having used dozens without
problems. Others swear by Sony or Lite-On which I now refuse to touch after
too many bad experiences.
Never used LG so I can't comment on them.

MrT.