Posted to rec.audio.tech
RegB RegB is offline

Default Where can I find a clean KX88?

I have one, I bought it new, it was unwrapped in my (no smoking) house
and has never "gigged out" or left the living room for any reason.
I have cleaned the keys and outer case with Windex from time to time,
I typically vacuum between the keys with a small nozzle on a shop vac
hose before any Windex treatment.
BTW, wherever you get one from, spray the Windex onto a clean lint
free cloth and wipe the keys with that, do not spray the keys
directly.

The only issue someone with allergies MIGHT have is the fact that I
have a dog, specifically a Yellow Lab.
I know little to nothing about allergies to animals, other than that I
don't seem to be allergic to anything very much.
No cats, no other animals - I have contact with horses, but that is
several miles away from here and I have never played with dirty hands
(or clothing).

With respect to compatibility, the KX-88 and corresponding 76 were
designed and produced just before the GM (general midi) standard was
introduced. There were SIGNIFICANT incompatibilities between
equipment in those days, though I cannot quote anything specific from
memory.
I accept the Yamaha statement about compatibility between the KX-nn
and TG-nn, although maybe they don't remember how & why either, so I
doubt that they will give specifics (-:
It is at least POSSIBLE that there is a pre/post GM midi wall across
which stuff MIGHT work well, somewhat, or not at all, in any case I
suspect that it is iffy/maybe at best.
I think the last time I looked a moderately used (gigged) kx-88 was
being offered for $1500, I have no idea if it actually went for less.
I think I would worry as much about smoke particles as "organics" but
you know your allergy situation better than I do.