WTB: API-type Lunchbox...Or Can I make my own?

Old November 21st 03, 10:03 PM
chetatkinsdiet

Default WTB: API-type Lunchbox...Or Can I make my own?

I'd really like to get a little lunchbox to start filling up with API
or OSA modules. My only drawback is that the bare boxes are usually
around $500. I think I've seen one, maybe from Fletcher for $450.
Anyway, there really doesn't seem to be much to them. A hammond, or
similar box...card slots in the back...a simple patch panel on back
and a power supply. Seems like less than $100 in parts. I'm just
talking a small one, 4-6 slots. Anyone ever made their own? Or does
anyone have a nice little used one they'd like to sell for cheap?
Later,
Old November 21st 03, 10:17 PM
John Noll

chetatkinsdiet wrote:
> I'd really like to get a little lunchbox to start filling up with API
> or OSA modules. My only drawback is that the bare boxes are usually
> around $500. I think I've seen one, maybe from Fletcher for $450.
> Anyway, there really doesn't seem to be much to them. A hammond, or
> similar box...card slots in the back...a simple patch panel on back
> and a power supply. Seems like less than $100 in parts. I'm just
> talking a small one, 4-6 slots. Anyone ever made their own? Or does
> anyone have a nice little used one they'd like to sell for cheap?
> Later,

The new 6 space model from api is VERY nice. Especially for $450.
Call Jay or Fletcher at Mercenary.

The older 4 space units are now going for nice prices because of this. I
sold one on eBay for about $350 and I saw another go for $300. There's
one on eBay right now.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-842-3853 Fax: 732-842-5631

http://www.retromedia.net

Old November 22nd 03, 02:01 AM
MHLINE

Or check out Old
Old November 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
MHLINE

Or check out Old School Audio. They make a rack and a lunchbox that are pretty
cheapand better quality than the API imo.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:41 AM
chetatkinsdiet

Yeah, I saw Mercenary's price on the 6 space. I'm also watching that
4 space on ebay now. Of course, I just blew any chances of getting a
decent price on it by posting on here and advertising it.
later,
Old November 25th 03, 06:50 AM
Justin Ulysses Morse

chetatkinsdiet > wrote:

> I'd really like to get a little lunchbox to start filling up with API
> or OSA modules. My only drawback is that the bare boxes are usually
> around $500. I think I've seen one, maybe from Fletcher for $450.
> Anyway, there really doesn't seem to be much to them. A hammond, or
> similar box...card slots in the back...a simple patch panel on back
> and a power supply. Seems like less than $100 in parts. I'm just
> talking a small one, 4-6 slots. Anyone ever made their own? Or does
> anyone have a nice little used one they'd like to sell for cheap?

I'm right in the middle of wiring up a card cage I had sitting around
to hold some API modules. These card cages probably sell for $100 or
more, but you can sometimes find them surplus or salvage for little or
no money. But after that, you have to cause the thing to hold API
modules, and you have to attach some connectors both for the cards and
for the I/O. That's a day of metal work IF you're skilled and
equipped. If not, it's a week of dicking around with hand tools or
spending a couple tall bills to get somebody else to do it for you.
Then there's the power supply. I suppose you could use a couple of
Power One supplies wired in opposition to give you a bipolar 18V
supply. But they're big and cumbersome so now you've got another
metalworking project. It all adds up. You could probably do it for
under $400 IF you have the materials, tools, and skills necessary to do
everything yourself.

ulysses