Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Arny ! Why don't you STFU ?

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

Jenn's claim that 95% of all sound tracks are done in
Hollywood would be an interesting claim, if she could
prove it or even support it with some authoritative
relevant evidence beside her personal say-so.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hollywood has great
depth of staffing in terms of musical artists. For
example, that's why Berry Gordy moved Motown out of
Detroit and to LA. But NYC isn't a podunk berg like
Detroit, and neither is Chicago.

Believe it or not, some sound track music actually gets
made in the Detroit area. Ever hear of the industrial
training film market? Of course its not on film any
more, but it still has soundtracks. Detroit might even
get one or two of the 5 points that Jenn is willing to
grant to the whole rest of the US.

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK.

Arny, here is a partial list of TV and movie companies
that record exclusively in L.A.

Jenn, you seriously don't think I know all this stuff?

If I didn't, all or most of it is availble on any number
of web sites.

snip well-known facts that shed no numerical light on
Jenn's claim

You snipped the facts. Tell you what: name one major MP
or TV recording gig done in NYC, Chicago, Memphis.

Irrelevant. There's a lot more to soundtrack work, than just major MPs.

Bogus. What's the formal definition of "Major MP"? There isn't one.

For example, lets say that there are 400 Major MPs per year, about 8 new
ones every week. That's about 1,600 hours of sound track per year. Let's
ignore the fact that much of the playing time of some MPs is dialog-only,
with no music at all.

Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7 for a month. That's
1,680 hours per month, or 50,400 hours per year. One cable TV network of
the 100's that exist outproduces *all* major MPs by about 30:1.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Let's try some Kroologic on the Krooborg.

Arny, here is a partial list of TV and movie companies
that record exclusively in L.A.

Jenn, you seriously don't think I know all this stuff?

It's a proven fact that you don't know any of it. We know you don't know
any of it because you never told us you did know it.

Get the point, Arnii? ;-)

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that there are places like
NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of course Graham, this all probably seems pretty
abstract to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that Hollywood is the
center of the US is a fiction that Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in
the minds of naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage instead making an
overly literal black-and-white judgment.

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at least 50%, I'm
guessing.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article ,
(paul packer) wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:12:03 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

(paul packer) said:

Why would anyone want to listen critically to music made by
synthesizers?

Not *made by synths*, but *played on synths*.
Starting out with Jean Michel Jarre, via Kraftwerk to Kruder &
Dorfmeister and many, many others.

There's enough interesting synth music to be found.

Any symphonies?

http://www.detroitsymphony.com/main.taf?p=5,2,1,163

Stephen

I read it. Somewhat nauseating but most of all sad.
That is what the only symphony orchestra (is it?) has to do to survive
in a large American city.
Ludovic Mirabel
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Question for Jenn

The Beast is loose, spraying "debating trade" spores everywhere.

Tell you what: name one major MP
or TV recording gig done in NYC, Chicago, Memphis.

Irrelevant.
Bogus.
For example, lets say that there are 400 Major MPs per year
Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7 for a month.

This is like throwing bread out for pigeons. You don't need the bread,
but the pigeons are worse than wasting it.

I guess there wasn't a question in here. Never mind.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell Powell is offline

"John Atkinson" wrote

You really need to keep up with the topic, John. It has been
stipulated by me in the very recent past that the provenance
of the samples is fuzzy.

And this is something I still don't understand. Did the files just
appear on your PC? If someone sent them to you, why didn't
you just ask? Your lack of curiosity is peculiar, to say the least.

Peaking behind Arny's web site I can tell you that many/most
of his master music samples are from Liquid Audio, (Old)
Liquifier Pro 4. Masters are divided into two groups AAC-129
and AC3-192. Funny that he wouldn't remember that given
federal copyright implications.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that
Hollywood is the center of the US is a fiction that
Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in the minds of
naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage
instead making an overly literal black-and-white judgment.

You've got that all wrong.

Jenn's the one who has taken the overly literal black-and-white position.
Jenn is still playing 95% or nothing.

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at least 50%, I'm
guessing.

Everybody's guessing, including Jenn. That makes this an assertion contest.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article . com,
" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:

wrote:

(paul packer) said:

Why would anyone want to listen critically to music made by
synthesizers?

Not *made by synths*, but *played on synths*.
Starting out with Jean Michel Jarre, via Kraftwerk to Kruder &
Dorfmeister and many, many others.

There's enough interesting synth music to be found.

Any symphonies?

http://www.detroitsymphony.com/main.taf?p=5,2,1,163

Stephen

I read it. Somewhat nauseating but most of all sad.
That is what the only symphony orchestra (is it?) has to do to survive
in a large American city.

The idea is to attract new audiences who otherwise wouldn't go. Another
tactic is the government-sponsored children's concert, and the same goes
for gala concerts with pop singers or jazz musicians. The latter aren't
necessarily inferior musically, but sometimes these solutions are
offered when the problem is mediocre performances and tame programming
in acoustically indifferent halls.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7 for a month. That's
1,680 hours per month, or 50,400 hours per year. One cable TV network of
the 100's that exist outproduces *all* major MPs by about 30:1.

Cheapy cable channels record their own music ?

I rather think not.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that
Hollywood is the center of the US is a fiction that
Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in the minds of
naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage
instead making an overly literal black-and-white judgment.

You've got that all wrong.

Jenn's the one who has taken the overly literal black-and-white position.
Jenn is still playing 95% or nothing.

That makes it two of you then.

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at least 50%, I'm
guessing.

Everybody's guessing, including Jenn. That makes this an assertion contest.

95% or nothing is pretty dull for the rest of us because it's certain
that isn't the correct number. However, that was an impressive list of
Hollywood exclusives. SoundtrackNet seems the place for info on specific
projects.

That's interesting: a couple of clicks led to photos of James Horner
session conducting the Hollywood Studio Symphony including pianist
Gloria Cheng, who has a solo piano recital disc on Telarc, an example of
film sessions attracting serious classical musicians.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7 for a month. That's
1,680 hours per month, or 50,400 hours per year. One cable TV network of
the 100's that exist outproduces *all* major MPs by about 30:1.

Cheapy cable channels record their own music ?

With 50,000 hours of unique programming.

I rather think not.

NOAA had a synthesized voice to read weather reports and people would
email to ask when the poor man would get a break.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Stephen -

Haven't you heard all those Motown soundtracks from Detroit recently?

Harry

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7
for a month. That's 1,680 hours per month, or 50,400
hours per year. One cable TV network of the 100's that
exist outproduces *all* major MPs by about 30:1.

Cheapy cable channels record their own music ?

Depends on whether they do their own production.

Most make some fo their content, but also buy some.

I rather think not.

Many of them like the Discovery channels and the A&E channels produce a lot
of their own content. The Discovery Channel buys a lot of content from the
BBC and the Australian networks. They also retread a lot of

But take a Discovery Channel program is a UK import from ITV, one that is
shot and produced in New York. Where was the music recorded and produced?
First guess: UK. Second guess: NYC.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
news
"MiNe 109" wrote in message
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:
"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:
[...]

What are you ranting about now Harry?

Could you possibly be more vague?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

Stephen -

Haven't you heard all those Motown soundtracks from Detroit recently?

Not so much!:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/2006/06/back_to_motown.html

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:36:51 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, take one cheapy cable channel that operates 24/7
for a month. That's 1,680 hours per month, or 50,400
hours per year. One cable TV network of the 100's that
exist outproduces *all* major MPs by about 30:1.

Cheapy cable channels record their own music ?

Depends on whether they do their own production.

Most make some fo their content, but also buy some.

I rather think not.

Many of them like the Discovery channels and the A&E channels produce a lot
of their own content. The Discovery Channel buys a lot of content from the
BBC and the Australian networks. They also retread a lot of

But take a Discovery Channel program is a UK import from ITV, one that is
shot and produced in New York. Where was the music recorded and produced?
First guess: UK. Second guess: NYC.

DIY and HGTV are based in Knoxville, but use the services of a NYC
company for at least some of their stuff.

All of this is a big red herring though when it comes to discussing
movie soundtracks, the bulk of Hollywood movies being done in
Hollywood, even if most of the filming is done in NYC or Vancouver or
the South Seas. It's simply a matter of convenience and facilities.
Sure there are some indie exceptions (I've already mentioned Hal
Hartley). This is just another case of Arnold deliberatly taking
offense to something someone he doesn't like has said and deliberately
trying to muddy the waters by mentioning things like industrial
training films.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

dave weil said:

This is just another case of Arnold deliberatly taking
offense to something someone he doesn't like has said and deliberately
trying to muddy the waters by mentioning things like industrial
training films.

Are you the "debating trade" police? Krooger is the self-proclaimed
"master of the debating trade". You have to claim to be the "grand
master" or "super-duper master" if you expect Arnii to accept your
criticism.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that
Hollywood is the center of the US is a fiction that
Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in the minds of
naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage
instead making an overly literal black-and-white judgment.

You've got that all wrong.

Jenn's the one who has taken the overly literal black-and-white position.
Jenn is still playing 95% or nothing.

Incorrect. My exact statement was, "My estimation is that something on
the order of over 95% of TV scores are recorded in Hollywood"

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at least 50%, I'm
guessing.

Everybody's guessing, including Jenn. That makes this an assertion contest.

I'm guessing based on the number of calls for film and TV dates
originating from Local 47 of the AFM as opposed to Locals 802, 10-208,
71.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

LOL I won't even try to explain the logical fallacies and lack of
knowledge about the industry evident in the above.

It's clear that once again you've shown the fact that you'll argue any
point to avoid admitting that someone just may know more about a given
field than you do. I surrender. You know more than anyone about any
given topic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Snotload number one for the evening.

It's clear that once again you've shown the fact that
you'll argue any point to avoid admitting that someone
just may know more about a given field than you do. I
surrender. You know more than anyone about any given
topic.

Snotload number two for the evening.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that
Hollywood is the center of the US is a fiction that
Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in the minds of
naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage
instead making an overly literal black-and-white
judgment.

You've got that all wrong.

Jenn's the one who has taken the overly literal
black-and-white position. Jenn is still playing 95% or
nothing.

Incorrect. My exact statement was, "My estimation is
that something on the order of over 95% of TV scores are
recorded in Hollywood"

So what was all that weirdness about major movies?

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at
least 50%, I'm guessing.

Everybody's guessing, including Jenn. That makes this an
assertion contest.

I'm guessing based on the number of calls for film and TV
dates originating from Local 47 of the AFM as opposed to
Locals 802, 10-208, 71.

What's your assurance that that is 100 per cent of everything?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

95% seems more than a little extreme, considering that
there are places like NYC, Chicago, Memphis, etc. Of
course Graham, this all probably seems pretty abstract
to you, sitting there in the UK. The idea that
Hollywood is the center of the US is a fiction that
Hollywood movies tend to perpetuate in the minds of
naive persons.

That's good. Now you're negotiating the percentage
instead making an overly literal black-and-white
judgment.

You've got that all wrong.

Jenn's the one who has taken the overly literal
black-and-white position. Jenn is still playing 95% or
nothing.

Incorrect. My exact statement was, "My estimation is
that something on the order of over 95% of TV scores are
recorded in Hollywood"

So what was all that weirdness about major movies?

What weirdness?

Let's find some way to gauge this. Hollywood is at
least 50%, I'm guessing.

Everybody's guessing, including Jenn. That makes this an
assertion contest.

I'm guessing based on the number of calls for film and TV
dates originating from Local 47 of the AFM as opposed to
Locals 802, 10-208, 71.

What's your assurance that that is 100 per cent of everything?

I'm not going to look up every local for you for a trivial point. I
looked up three that you mentioned: L.A., NYC, Chicago, Memphis.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

y.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Not a "snotload" at all. It's simply true that your statement is full
of logical fallacies and shows lack of knowledge of the industry. If I
wanted to post a "snotload" I would have written something like, "Arny,
you're hysterical."

It's clear that once again you've shown the fact that
you'll argue any point to avoid admitting that someone
just may know more about a given field than you do. I
surrender. You know more than anyone about any given
topic.

Snotload number two for the evening.

See above. I'm quite sure that I could take a day and look up all of
the stats from each AFM local in the country and you still wouldn't
believe me. What's the point?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:

Snotload number one for the evening.

Snotload number two for the evening.

LOL!

Arns, just a quick pointer: using the lingo of your opponents does not
lend you credibility.

Consider if the Iraqi insurgents started telling us to listen to bushie
and 'stay the course.' You might laugh as hard as I just did.

Just because somebody knows more than you about something is not a very
good reason to be so defensive. Do you really believe that you know
more than anybody about everything?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 20 Oct 2006 10:29:43 -0700, "
wrote:

Ludovic Mirabel
Ludovic Mirabel

You've been cloned, Ludo?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

See above. I'm quite sure that I could take a day and
look up all of the stats from each AFM local in the
country and you still wouldn't believe me. What's the
point?

Your criteria is invalid. Cattle calls at AFM locals are not a reliable
indication of what work is going on.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

It's just cattle calls, right?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 07:31:45 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

If you want interesting and compelling synth-based music, all one has
to do is go to Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, The Princess and the Warrior,
etc.). He's been quite influential, as can be seen by the new trend of
using pulsing, urgent "techno" in such films as the Bourne series.
Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your perspective, I
suppose.

Now, if you want "garage-band-shoegazing-VU-influenced" film music,
try Hal Hartley composing and playing under his nom-de-plume "Ned
Rifle". It's perfect for his deadpan, stylized dialogue and odd
situational plot lines.

And it's better than Rozsa? :-)

For both of those directors' outputs - probably.

Now, Hartley for Ben Hur...probably not.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall. That's a
common phrase that is used to describe them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall.

Did she indeed ?

So you felt obliged to rise to this humourous remark ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall.

Did she indeed ?

So you felt obliged to rise to this humourous remark ?

A "cattle call" is an open audition. Sound-for-picture sessions are
presumably invite-only, hence the term "first-call" to describe a
musician whose services are in demand.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message
.
com
In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in
message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Nope. The stats are a list of paid player hours for a given local.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall.

Did she indeed ?

So you felt obliged to rise to this humourous remark ?

A "cattle call" is an open audition. Sound-for-picture sessions are
presumably invite-only, hence the term "first-call" to describe a
musician whose services are in demand.

Stephen

Exactly.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

See above. I'm quite sure that I could take a day and
look up all of the stats from each AFM local in the
country and you still wouldn't believe me. What's the
point?

Your criteria is invalid. Cattle calls at AFM locals are not a reliable
indication of what work is going on.

I'm not talking about "cattle calls". See previous post.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

paul packer wrote:
On 20 Oct 2006 10:29:43 -0700, "
wrote:

Ludovic Mirabel
Ludovic Mirabel

You've been cloned, Ludo?

No. I wanted to stress the importance of my message.
Ludovic M. (once)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in
Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall.

Did she indeed ?

So you felt obliged to rise to this humourous remark ?

A "cattle call" is an open audition. Sound-for-picture sessions are
presumably invite-only, hence the term "first-call" to describe a
musician whose services are in demand.

I regret I'm still no wiser.

Arny thinks Jenn = cattle ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:51:14 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
Arny Krueger wrote:

It's just cattle calls, right?

Is this the best you can contribute to quality audio ?

Jenn brought up the issue of calls for workers at a union hall.

Did she indeed ?

So you felt obliged to rise to this humourous remark ?

A "cattle call" is an open audition. Sound-for-picture sessions are
presumably invite-only, hence the term "first-call" to describe a
musician whose services are in demand.

Stephen

You'll have to excuse Arnold. He's only familiar with the lemmings
calls on Sunday at his church.