Default Magnepan MMG

I am on a low budget with daycare, etc.

I am looking at speakers for the main stereo in my dining room.

The Magnepan MMGs are dirt cheap and I think work well within the
confines of my room space.

Has anyone tried this deal and how do they compare with let's say:
Paraigm Mini-Monitor
B+W 601
Polk Lsi9

Due to childcare issues, I have not been able to drive and test all the
speakers I want to.

unfortunately there are no magnepan dealers in my area.

I do plan to pair my speakers with a sub.

I've read a lot of opinions, but not talked to many owners. If you're
an actual owner, can you tell me how they are?

Don

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
I am on a low budget with daycare, etc.

I am looking at speakers for the main stereo in my dining room.

Big dining room?

The Magnepan MMGs are dirt cheap and I think work well within the
confines of my room space.

They will no doubt fit, but what about the prerequisite space around them?

Has anyone tried this deal and how do they compare with let's say:
Paraigm Mini-Monitor
B+W 601
Polk Lsi9

That would be like comparing motorcycles and SUVs.

Due to childcare issues, I have not been able to drive and test all
the speakers I want to.

Kids and cats can be particularly hard on Magnepans. Kids knock them over
and cats sharpen their claws on them.

unfortunately there are no magnepan dealers in my area.

Too bad.

I do plan to pair my speakers with a sub.

That could be a good idea.

I've read a lot of opinions, but not talked to many owners. If you're
an actual owner, can you tell me how they are?

I don't own a pair but I have a number of close friends who have Magnepans
them or have had them.

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:

The Magnepan MMGs are dirt cheap and I think work well within the
confines of my room space.

They will no doubt fit, but what about the prerequisite space around them?

Piano type hinge. Just move them perpendicular to the wall
when in use. Fold back flat when not. That would be my
guess on how to accomplish it.

Kids and cats can be particularly hard on Magnepans. Kids knock them over
and cats sharpen their claws on them.

True, which is why you should mount them about 2 ft off the ground,
like I said above.

Magnepan makes a wall mount, presumably for use with plasma screens and
home theaters. I live in a Victorian townhouse with 10 ft ceilings and
can put these up high. The rooms are small by today's standards. This
room is roughly 12x15 with some big windows and doorways.

My current speakers, Polk R2 bookshelves, can fill up the whole first
floor of my house with sound. Great for 15+ yr old speakers. I think
I can do better.

I understand what someone said about a bookshelf and magneplanar
speaker as apples and oranges, but the same music goes over both kinds
of speakers, so you know, it's not. If anything it's like comparing a
station wagon to a minivan- both similat but different and there's a
clear winner at certain price points.

I tracked down a magnepan dealer only 30 minutes from my job, so I'm
headed there for lunch one day. That should help me get a feel for the
kind of sound they put out even if the Magnepan MMGs are not for sale
via dealers.

Don