Bryan Beasleigh

Default Sanken CS-1

I have only had a brief opportunity to listen to the CS-1. I recorded
a quick clip through the CS-1, CS-3 and the Schoeps MK41 that i was
picking up.

The schoeps blows the 2 sankens right out of the water but it is my
understanding that the schoeps will be unsuitable for humid or rainy
weather.

Listening to my samples the CS-1 appears to be a tad light on the
bottom end but very accurate or neutral. Boosting the low end resulted
in a close match to the CS-3. I didn't have the oportunity to try the
CS-1 with different voices and sounds. I've heard that it is an
excellent dialog mic
David Satz

Bryan Beasleigh wrote:

I have only had a brief opportunity to listen to the CS-1. I recorded
a quick clip through the CS-1, CS-3 and the Schoeps MK41 that i was
picking up.

The schoeps blows the 2 sankens right out of the water but it is my
understanding that the schoeps will be unsuitable for humid or rainy
weather.

I have hardly ever recorded outdoors so I hesitate to put this too
strongly where I lack the direct experience--but as I understand it,
Schoeps microphones will work fine as long as there isn't actual
condensation of moisture within the capsule. And it's my understanding
as well that condensation can be prevented in many circumstances by
using a conventional popscreen on the microphone.

At least I would urge you to confirm your impressions with someone who
has used this class of microphone often in outdoor recording, and/or
with a Schoeps dealer or representative.

If you get further information, would you please post it here? This is
something I'd certainly like to know more about, and others here may
feel likewise.

--best regards
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
David Satz wrote:
Bryan Beasleigh wrote:

I have only had a brief opportunity to listen to the CS-1. I recorded
a quick clip through the CS-1, CS-3 and the Schoeps MK41 that i was
picking up.

The schoeps blows the 2 sankens right out of the water but it is my
understanding that the schoeps will be unsuitable for humid or rainy
weather.

I have hardly ever recorded outdoors so I hesitate to put this too
strongly where I lack the direct experience--but as I understand it,
Schoeps microphones will work fine as long as there isn't actual
condensation of moisture within the capsule. And it's my understanding
as well that condensation can be prevented in many circumstances by
using a conventional popscreen on the microphone.

In very humid areas, it doesn't take much to get actual condensation in
there, though. In these cases, I recommend the Sennheiser MKH series
mikes, which can deal with very high humidity much more easily, and
which sounds a lot better to my ear than the Sankens.

If you get further information, would you please post it here? This is
something I'd certainly like to know more about, and others here may
feel likewise.

The B&K measurement mikes are about as bad as the Schoeps mikes, I think.
I had to dry out some Gefell products on a wood stove at a music festival
once, even.