Sune T. B. Nielsen

Default Stereo condenser mic for studio and field

Hi
Im looking for a stereo condeser mic for overhead recordings in my home
studio (mostly electronical stuff, small room, sometimes fairly loud).
Im very fond of the RødeNT4
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/specsnt4/nt4specs.htm because it is portable
too.

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range that I
ought to consider?

Sune

Len Moskowitz

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range that I
ought to consider?

You might consider a set of our CS Binaural microphones. They'll easily
handle the sound pressure levels, are very small and easy to mount, and
sound fine.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

normanstrong

"Sune T. B. Nielsen" wrote in message
Hi
Im looking for a stereo condeser mic for overhead recordings in my

home
studio (mostly electronical stuff, small room, sometimes fairly

loud).
Im very fond of the RødeNT4
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/specsnt4/nt4specs.htm because it is

portable
too.

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range

that I
ought to consider?

The proper microphone for you is the Rode NT4. Accept no substitutes.

Norm Strong

Sune T. B. Nielsen

"Sune T. B. Nielsen" wrote in message
Hi
Im looking for a stereo condeser mic for overhead recordings in my home
studio (mostly electronical stuff, small room, sometimes fairly loud).
Im very fond of the RødeNT4
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/specsnt4/nt4specs.htm because it is
portable too.

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range that I
ought to consider?

I have built-in mic-preamp with balanced XLR 48v Phantom power inputs on my
studio sound card.
And plan to buy a Nomad Jukebox for field rec. Those recorders have some
sort of 'phantom power', right? Does this fit the battery powered condenser
mic?
So it should be able go into two XLR or mini-jack. Is that possible? A
portable mic preamp is an option i cant afford that right now.

I thought of maybe buying two mono mics that also have the battery option
and tie them together when in the field. More flexible in the studio and
maybe cheaper. But do they exist?

Len Moskowitz

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

And plan to buy a Nomad Jukebox for field rec. Those recorders have some
sort of 'phantom power', right?

No, it has a Line level input and no mic power options (not 48 VDC Phantom
nor "Plug-in Power"),

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Arny Krueger

"Sune T. B. Nielsen" wrote in message

And plan to buy a Nomad Jukebox for field rec. Those recorders have
some sort of 'phantom power', right?

Nomad Jukeboxes don't even have a proper mic inputs without phantom power.
They've got digital and line-level inputs. I use mine with a Behringer MXB
1002 which does have mic inputs and phantom power. Not very good for
bootlegs, but fine for legitimate location recording.

Peter Hill

"Sune T. B. Nielsen" wrote in message
Hi
Im looking for a stereo condeser mic for overhead recordings in my home
studio (mostly electronical stuff, small room, sometimes fairly loud).
Im very fond of the RødeNT4
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/specsnt4/nt4specs.htm because it is
portable too.

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range that I
ought to consider?

Sune

I have been using a Neumann RSM190, housed in Rycote Windjammer for many
years now for field recording into both Betacam for TV work and DAT recorder
for film. It has the advantage of being switchable M/S or X/Y, the former
giving post production the option of using the centre channel for mono, or
matrixing both channels to stereo. For film work, I feed it directly to DAT
(FostexPD-4) as this has 48 volt phantom powering and a three channel mixer.
The only down side was the price, but it has given great service in all
kinds of adverse weather conditions. Snow, rain, wind etc. There have been
occasions when I needed to find a lavatory, just to use the hand dryer to
dry the whole thing out. So it was a good investment and comes highly
recommended.

Peter

WillStG

"Sune T. B. Nielsen"
Hi
Im looking for a stereo condeser mic for overhead recordings in my home
studio (mostly electronical stuff, small room, sometimes fairly loud).
Im very fond of the RødeNT4
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/specsnt4/nt4specs.htm because it is portable
too.

Are there other mics with those specifications in this prize range that I
ought to consider?

The Sony ECM-MS5 is pretty decent Stereo Mic that is often used for stereo
location recordings on a camera/Suitable for "taping", if by portable you mean
those kind of applications. Costs a bit more used. It has a built in MS
decoder so you get a regular stereo pair out. Not battery powered without the
battery to phantom power matching unit Sony also makes though, location/movie
sound guys often use the ECM-MS5 or the Shure VM88 which is a bit noisier, it's
considered "Pro Gear".
Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News

Sune T. B. Nielsen

Thanks alot.
I hope you will understand, but now that i have given it some thought (and
talk) and i think im going to spend a bit more and go for a matched pair of
Oktava 012 with 2 or 3 capsules

Sune

Sugarite

Thanks alot.
I hope you will understand, but now that i have given it some thought (and
talk) and i think im going to spend a bit more and go for a matched pair

of
Oktava 012 with 2 or 3 capsules

Best spend a bit less and get a pair of Rode NT5's. The NT4 is only
appropriate if you're recording environments with sound reinforcement, and
then only if you really know what you're doing. Without SR you should use a
spaced pair, I prefer ORTF. Oktava has had a bad QC record, no telling how
an after-market matched pair will hold up, when NT5's are factory matched,
very rugged, with great support after sale, and half the cost of a matched
MC012 set.

Bob Cain

Sugarite wrote:
The NT4 is only
appropriate if you're recording environments with sound reinforcement, and
then only if you really know what you're doing.

On the contrary, it is good for any coincident XY coincident
stereo application which is one of the most foolproof of the
stereo configurations. Its 16 dBA SPL self noise is quite
good for a small condenser and is the same as the NT5. It
mixes very well to mono without phase issues and can be
width adjusted in the same fashion as MS.

If, OTHO, it is your wish to try any of the various cardiod
based stereo configurations then a pair of NT5's might be
more appropriate. None of the others will give a
predictable mono mix, however, if that is a requirement.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Sune T. B. Nielsen

--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

It...can be width adjusted in the same fashion as MS.

How is that?
My concern right now is that i was recommended to go for mics that can do
MS, but it seems there is no 8-form capsule for the oktavas.
But I can do something like it?

Bob Cain

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

It...can be width adjusted in the same fashion as MS.

How is that?
My concern right now is that i was recommended to go for mics that can do
MS, but it seems there is no 8-form capsule for the oktavas.
But I can do something like it?

From the L and R channels of your XY recording, simply form

M = (L + R)/2
S = (L - R)/2

You can then recombine those to widen or narrow the image by
forming

L = M + k*S
R = M - k*S

If the multiplier k is greater than one, the image will get
wider and if less than one, it will get narrower.

The gist is that you treat the XY recording exactly as if it
had been made MS and matrixed to LR. The math of the two
configurations is equivalent.

There are plugins which will do this as well as panning for
you graphically, Waves' product is called "Stereo Imager" I
believe.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Sune T. B. Nielsen

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

It...can be width adjusted in the same fashion as MS.

How is that?
My concern right now is that i was recommended to go for mics that can do
MS, but it seems there is no 8-form capsule for the oktavas.
But I can do something like it?

From the L and R channels of your XY recording, simply form

M = (L + R)/2
S = (L - R)/2

You can then recombine those to widen or narrow the image by forming

L = M + k*S
R = M - k*S

If the multiplier k is greater than one, the image will get wider and if
less than one, it will get narrower.

The gist is that you treat the XY recording exactly as if it had been made
MS and matrixed to LR. The math of the two configurations is equivalent.

There are plugins which will do this as well as panning for you
graphically, Waves' product is called "Stereo Imager" I believe.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

How do I divide a track by two?

Sune

Scott Dorsey