Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default My PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL Review Posted

My review of the PreSonus 44VSL 4x4 USB 2.0 audio interface
is up. the Product Reviews section of my web page

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/

Or if you have short attention span, download the PDF
directly he
http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpre...mikerivers.pdf

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ethanw@ethanwiner.com is offline

On Monday, March 12, 2012 9:32:32 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
My review of the PreSonus 44VSL 4x4 USB 2.0 audio interface
is up. the Product Reviews section of my web page
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com/product-reviews/

Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface, but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without a
passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com - useful and interesting audio stuff

Really interesting and thorough review. Thanks, Mike.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/12/2012 11:48 AM, wrote:

Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface,
but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing
facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a
reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

I don't think I've ever seen one without mic preamps. They
pretty much have to build a mic preamp anyway in order to
offer a differential input, so why not advertise it as such?
You really aren't paying anything extra for the mic
preamps except maybe a couple of dollars for the combo
connectors.

You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6 (there's
a review of it on my web page also). It's a little simpler,
2 mic inputs on the front panel that can also be real line
inputs or instrument DI inputs, and 2 real line inputs on
the back. 4 outputs on the back, though two, if I remember
are shared with the headphone outputs. If what you want is 4
line inputs, it's better in this regard than the PreSonus in
that all four 1/4" jacks can be real differential line
inputs, as opposed to two of them (Instrument inputs0 on the
44VSL that are for all intents and purposes for unbalanced
sources.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Mar 12, 5:21*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/12/2012 11:48 AM, wrote:

Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface,
but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing
facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a
reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

MOTU makes a couple with two mic preamps and four or six line-only
inputs.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6

LOL, great minds think alike. That's exactly what I bought yesterday just before you posted this.

As an aside, a few weeks ago I got a call from my (long ago) past sales rep at Swee****er asking if he could be of any assistance. I told him I almost never buy audio gear because I already have everything I need. Then a few days ago I realized I really do need a more professional interface. So yesterday after posting I called the rep to ask his advice, and that's what he suggested as the best value. I looked at the product info and agreed, and bought it.

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/13/2012 10:58 AM, wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2012 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6

LOL, great minds think alike. That's exactly what I bought yesterday just before you posted this. [Focusrite 8i6]

Well I hope we gave you good advice. I think it's one of the
better overall designs for this sort of box. I was debating
getting the 18i6 thinking that some day I might want to take
along my Mackie 800R (8 channel preamp with ADAT Optical
output among others) for a larger session than straight
stereo recording.

Although it isn't what either of us need, I'm going to try
to get my hands on one of the M-Audio C600 Fast Track
interfaces. It seems to have a lot of the capability of the
PreSonus but it has an assortment of different GUI displays.
The full display takes up the whole screen but they had pity
on folks like me with low resolution monitors and have
reduced versions, just a basic mixer, and just a meter
bridge, so there's plenty of room to keep the DAW on the
screen where you need it. Plus it has transport control
buttons, so you may not need to get to the DAW as often
during tracking.

I don't know who my friendly M-Audio marketing rep is any
more, but if you're out there lurking, get in touch.

--Ethan

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Mann Richard Mann is offline

Thanks for the review, Mike.

Two questions:
- do these interfaces work with Linux (prefer Sapphire, but Presonus OK)?

- did you happen to notice the internal voltages of the Preamps (or the
chip #'s on the preamps?). A lot of these circuits use NE5532
variants, but seem to run them at very low voltages (eg., my old
Edirol UA5 uses jrc4590 preamps at +/-5V, while a very old Maudio Duo
uses +/-12V and INA163 instrument amps. A big different in quality.
This has in fact spawned a "hacker" community amoung concert tapers

Thanks again,
Richard
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/13/2012 6:34 PM, Richard Mann wrote:

- do these interfaces work with Linux (prefer Sapphire, but Presonus OK)?

Not unless someone has written Linux drivers for them. Good
luck there. It's a rare new audio interface that gets the
attention of the folks writing Linux drivers, probably
because the manufacturers aren't willing to share enough
documentation with them to get them started. I guess they
feel that sales to Linux users just aren't going to ever be
great enough to let information that they consider
proprietary out of the barn.

- did you happen to notice the internal voltages of the Preamps (or the
chip #'s on the preamps?).

I didn't have a schematic (hell, they don't even publish a
block diagram) but from inspection, it looks like there are
transistors up front and half of an MC33079 quad op amp at
the end. The 33079 is running on +/- 13.5V. I didn't probe
the transistors but given that it takes about 11 Vpp before
anything starts clipping, I doubt that this is a "low
voltage" circuit. I didn't see or hear any reason to try to
hack it.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_14_] Jason[_14_] is offline

PreSonus but it has an assortment of different GUI displays.
The full display takes up the whole screen but they had pity
on folks like me with low resolution monitors and have
reduced versions, just a basic mixer, and just a meter
bridge, so there's plenty of room to keep the DAW on the
screen where you need it.

Have you considered adding a second display? Most of the graphics cards
support two now. I added an inexpensive ($150) Dell 15" LCD to go with my
expensive EIZO primary one. (It's color-accurate and can be calibrated
with its spyder, which I need for the photo work I do - hence the price.)
The secondary Dell is crisp at 1024x768 - I have no requirement for color
accuracy. I rotate it 90 degrees (portrait mode) and park some of
Audition's (and Photoshop's) windows on it. Windoze has a variety of
options for how to deal with multiple screens.

Jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/15/2012 12:30 AM, Jason wrote:

Have you considered adding a second display?

I wrote about that in my review. Sure, that works, and if
this was going to be my only interface in a fixed studio, it
would be a perfectly reasonable solution, though as I'm set
up now I have to move other useful things (like note pads)
to make room for the second display. I suppose I could come
up with a way to hang it above the desk. But I really wanted
it to work as a portable with my little netbook computer.
Adding an external monitor would break the "portable" part.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 3/16/2012 4:37 PM, Soundhaspriority wrote:
Excellent review. The B&H caption includes "4 Class-A
Microphone Preamps".

Given the above factoid, do you think the pres are a little
better than usual for the price range?

Not necessarily. They're all "Class A" except for those that
use the most basic op amp configuration. But it sure sounds
good in the marketing literature.

There's more difference between a Neve and a Mackie than
there is between a PreSonus, a Focusrite Scarlett, an
M-Audio, and a Mackie. Sometimes the Neve really works
better, sometimes the Mackie works better. No, these are
just plain competent non-offensive preamps just like any
others in the same product class.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Not necessarily. They're all "Class A" except for those that
use the most basic op amp configuration. But it sure sounds
good in the marketing literature.

In fact, I'd say that if they bother advertising that the thing is class A,
that's a bad indication. Not as bad as putting "professional" in the name
of the product, mind you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Not necessarily. They're all "class A" except for those that
use the most basic op amp configuration. But it sure sounds
good in the marketing literature.

In fact, I'd say that if they bother advertising that the thing is
class A, that's a bad indication. Not as bad as putting
"professional" in the name of the product, mind you.

Isn't "class A" a way of saying "discrete devices, no ICs"?

With the right op amp (and a heat sink), you can "pull up" the output stages
into class A.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Isn't "class A" a way of saying "discrete devices, no ICs"?

No. That's what the marketing people want you to think.

With the right op amp (and a heat sink), you can "pull up" the output stages
into class A.

Some op-amps (like the MC34082) have class A output stages already.
And plenty of discrete stuff uses push-pull stages that aren't worth
bothering to run in class A.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/17/2012 10:13 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Isn't "class A" a way of saying "discrete devices, no ICs"?

See, guys? It Worked! Mr. Sommerwerck is a pretty
knowledgeable fellow and even he got the message that the
marketeers wanted him to get.

No, all it means is that the amplifying device conducts over
the full cycle of the signal waveform. A Class B device
conducts only over half a cycle and requires a counterpart
to conduct over the other half of the cycle in order to
accurately reproduce the input waveform at the output. Class
AB conducts over more than half the cycle but less than the
full cycle. Class C conducts over less than half a cycle and
clips everything.

With the right op amp (and a heat sink), you can "pull up" the output stages
into class A.

See, I knew you were smart. This is true, but not everyone
does that. And as far as I know, all op amps work in Class
AB but the bipolar configuration puts the waveform together
at the output, and the good ones do it with very little
distortion at the crossover point.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Soundhaspriority wrote:
Excellent review. The B&H caption includes "4 Class-A Microphone Preamps".

Given the above factoid, do you think the pres are a little better than
usual for the price range?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

When I hear the words "Class A", I think "Fender Champ".

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Mann Richard Mann is offline

Thanks for this information!

Presonus then carries on the tradition of good analog circuitry. This
is the same as the Presonus Firebox/Firepod units.

Richard